Getting thru the days before your milk comes in....help!

Mervs Mum

Doula & Mum of 3!
Reaction score
Ok so she's not 24 hrs old yet but I'm already worried about these first days....

I fed her within an hour of having her at 9.16 last night and she latched on beautifully and fed for 45 mins then another 30 mins. She was sick at 4am this morning - mucus according to the MWs as I was struggling to get up to her. I managed to feed her again a few times today and she seems pretty happy up to now but I know there's very little coming thru and I'm already getting a bit sore.

So, I have dummies and she's on with one now but I've already started thinking about the cartons of Aptimil I got in 'just in case'....what do I do??

Any recommendations on getting by until my milk comes?? She's constantly 'rooting' like she's hungry.....Should I just top her up tonight or keep on with what I have??

Any help much appreciated!!!

Do what you feel is comfortable!!!

Your going to get alot of replies to not top up or give a dummy because of nipple confusion etc and just deal with how hard its going to be until your milk comes in.

So its your choice really. Alot of people successfully feed both and use dummies right from the beginning.

Me personally? I want to enjoy my time with my LO and that is not having to deal with how hard the beginning is.

As ryder said shes your baby do what you think is right hun :) were her to support your choice no matter what ..

I know how hard it was with me when my milk wasent in yet ..I was looking at the carton of formula but stuck it out .. my milk came in about 2 days after when i took my shower ..mabey try that out also at the hospital they said to hold your baby often to the breast as this tells your body to start working ..I can just say try to hold out hunny you can do it :o)

as for the rooting its normal its the only thing besides crying and pooping babies know how to do so dont stress too much & dummy is fine too

:hugs: Do whatever you want. Aptamil is the best formula aparently. I wouldn't give into formula if you want to BF though x

Honestly, the more she is on the breast, the quicker your milk will come in. Her sucking is what will tell your body to produce. I put Bren on the breast almost constantly the first few days and my milk started to come in on the night of the 2nd day. Loads of skin to skin contact will also help your milk to come in. She will lose weight, but that is normal and OK as she will gain it back. Bren lost over half a pound, but once my milk came in he put it all back on. They are designed to do this. Personally, I would just keep at what you are going, put her to the breast as often as possible and remember you are going a fantastic job!!! If you are getting sore, once she is done feeding, try to express a little and rub that on the nipple and let it air dry.

NOW, having said all that, love you gotta do what you feel comfortable with. If you are worried and uncomfortable with feeling like she is hungry, then you need to decide to give her a bottle.

Keep at it hun. My milk came in with a vengeance on day 3 even though i wasn't BFing. If you really want to give it a go just keep putting her to the breast. Like Sam said, the more you do it, the quicker it will come

xxx

I'd say that if you can avoid it, don't use the formula. Your body needs her sucking as much as possible to get the milk in. The easiest way to do this is to strip off and take her to bed with you. That way she can feed loads but you can catch up on some sleep.

I'd say that if you can avoid it, don't use the formula. Your body needs her sucking as much as possible to get the milk in. The easiest way to do this is to strip off and take her to bed with you. That way she can feed loads but you can catch up on some sleep.

If you do do this, take OH with you to watch LO. I know someone who suffocated her baby doing this :cry:

Keep at it hun, your first night is the worst. Until your milk comes in it will feel like you are feeding constantly, the more she feeds the quicker it will come believe me. Day 3 or 4 you will wake up and be amazed, I found it quite painful when I woke up and my boobs were full and bumpy lol. Its an amazing release when she feeds from you though. Good luck

you had a good birth didn't you, so your milk will probably 'be on time'. stick it out. just keep poppin her on the boob, get your oh to some of that nipple cream beginning with L... tghe first bit is the worst, when your milk comes remember it takes a while to get there properly, 10 day or something...someone on here will know what i'm babbling on about. it's worth it!

Thanks girls.

Just sat here typing one handed with her feeding. Nipples are a bit tender but I'm OK. I gave her 2oz of formula when she woke at 7am after being in bed with me all night and constantly sucking. Its given me enough rest to carry on again now after a couple of hours sleep.

My boobs feel heavy so I'm hoping thats a good sign that its on its way!!

x

keep at it hun your doing really well,I used formula and bf for the last 3 weeks and it has been really hard going just to get back to bf which I have done but its alot harder, but do what you think is right for you and your baby, I used a dummy and havent had any problems it just helps to settle my little sucky one from time to time.

ps congrats hunnie I havent been on in ages and didnt know you had had your little one, rest up as much as you can:hugs:

heavy boobs = good sign, milk's on its way!

you had a good birth didn't you, so your milk will probably 'be on time'. stick it out. just keep poppin her on the boob, get your oh to some of that nipple cream beginning with L... tghe first bit is the worst, when your milk comes remember it takes a while to get there properly, 10 day or something...someone on here will know what i'm babbling on about. it's worth it!

Are u thinking of Lansinoh? Breast milk is cheaper, but I still have some of this anyway.
You would be suprised at how little your LO will need to eat in one sitting, I had to syringe feed mine as she wouldn't bf and it was only one 6ml syringe each time.

I had to give Helena some formula the second night in the hospital as she was screaming with hunger. The nurse suggested it. I was breastfeeding her as much as possible but she was still hungry due to my milk not being in. My milk came in the next day but it helped to calm her down for the night. :)

Are u thinking of Lansinoh? Breast milk is cheaper, but I still have some of this anyway.
You would be suprised at how little your LO will need to eat in one sitting, I had to syringe feed mine as she wouldn't bf and it was only one 6ml syringe each time.

yes! that's the one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->