Girl names from Literature?

SugarBeth

Reaction score
Help me out! I was thinking about classic women authors, but now I think there'd be more to choose from if I thought of girl names from literature. Ideas?

I absolutely adore the name Harper - after Harper Lee who wrote To Kill A Mocking Bird - but my OH is Head of English at a secondary school and he says we're not allowed any names from literature or Shakespeare. I'm gutted as I just love Harper. I really like Cordelia too.

Ophelia from Shakespear's Macbeth.

I'm thinking about this too, lets see:

Shakespearean:
Miranda
Desdemona
Juliet
Ophelia
Beatrice
Rosalind
Portia

Others:
Wendy (Peter Pan)
Alice (Wonderland)
Jane (Eyre)
Anne (Green Gables)
Pippi (Longstocking)
Moll (Flanders)
Sarah (A Little Princess)
Charlotte (Web)
Clarissa (Samuel Richardson)
Tess (D'Urbervilles)
Lyra (Golden Compass)
Hermione (Harry Potter)
Dorothy (Oz)
Bella (Twilight...sorry!)

I have also heard of literary names being used unconventionally, - Darcy for a girl after 'Mr Darcy' and apparently Heath Ledger was named after 'Heathcliff'.

Worst girls literary name ever? Veruca Salt! (Chocolate Factory)

How about names about literature:

Poet
Lyric
Story

Out of the above suggestions, i love Harper... and Juliet... and Charlotte would be my 3rd favorite!

The Odessey has some cool names:

Penelope
Penelope is the wife of Odysseus, mother of Telemachos, Queen of Ithaka, and the object of desire for every nobleman in the land. She’s also a strong woman.

Athene (or Athena?)
The daughter of Zeus, Athene is the goddess of wisdom and patroness of warfare.

Helen
Kassandra

Or -- And this may be my favorite! Estella :flow: from Great Expectations! I always envisioned her so beautiful & alluring!

someone said Cordelia, i dont know what the name is from but just wanted to say i love it! my son went to nursery with a girl called Cordelia, she was his "girlfriend" :) she was known as Cordi which i think is such a cute name! xxx

Shakespeare used the name Silvia for the love interest in his play "Two Gentlemen of Verona", probably intending to give the impression of a typical Italian girl though the name has come to be regarded as an English name.

"Beatrix" after Beatrix Potter (definitely read her life story, so interesting !)

"Charlotte"

"Austen"

"Bronte' "

"Barrett" from Elizabeth Barrett Browning the poet who said "No man is friendless who has God and the companionship of good books"
(love that quote)

"Juliet"

"Jane"

I too second the "Harper" after Harper Lee posted earlier

Also love "Harlowe" after Jean Harlowe the movie starlet

"Clementine"

"Anne" from Anne of Green Gables (don't forget the e )

Elizabeth
Kitty
Lydia
Georgiana
Louisa
Charlotte

Josephine
Meg
Amy
Beth

Scarlett
Melanie
Carreen
Sue-Ellen
India
Honey
Ellen

Emma
Harriet

Eleanor
Marianne
Lucy
Margaret

I love the name Roberta (Bobby) from The Railway Children

catherine from wuthering heights.

violet
matilda
beatrice (beezus!)
ramona

Thanks everyone, I got a few good ideas for options!

some lovely names suggested, ive already got my names picked for future baby/ies but if i didnt i would definately be using Cordelia or Harper love them both :flow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->