Giving gay people the right to marry in church

I dont think there is much of a comparison as polygamists can marry multiple woman with in their own faiths, and there are several. Currently no gay people can marry within a religion they believe in.

I dont think there is much of a comparison as polygamists can marry multiple woman with in their own faiths, and there are several. Currently no gay people can marry within a religion they believe in.

But there are groups of Christians who believe in polygamy - for example Mormons

Yes and polygamists can marry within the religion they believe in, be that mormon or muslim, but gay people cannot marry within the religion they believe in

Yes and polygamists can marry within the religion they believe in, be that mormon or muslim, but gay people cannot marry within the religion they believe in

But a polygamist couldnt marry in a Uk Church, how would you feel if in time this was changed and they could marry in a CofE one?

But a polygamist couldnt marry in a Uk Church, how would you feel if in time this was changed and they could marry in a CofE one?

It's not something I've really thought about before ... but my immediate reaction is that, theologically speaking, there is a good case to be made for allowing polygamous marriages in the CofE - particularly if the Church were to return to a more hardline, traditional form of Christianity.

There is plenty of polygamy in the Old Testament, it's included in the Laws of Moses, it isn't specifically condemned in the New Testament and plenty of early Christians were polygamists

How would you feel if a Christian man wanted to marry an animal in a Christian church? Can people marry whatever/whoever they want, and expect a church to toss aside its beliefs to marry them?

In order for any marriage to be valid surely both parties have to be able to understand the commitment involved, both to each other and (if a religious marriage, to God) and agree?

That applies to polygamy and to gay marriage, but not to animals - so no :shrug:

It's not something I've really thought about before ... but my immediate reaction is that, theologically speaking, there is a good case to be made for allowing polygamous marriages in the CofE - particularly if the Church were to return to a more hardline, traditional form of Christianity.

There is plenty of polygamy in the Old Testament, it's included in the Laws of Moses, it isn't specifically condemned in the New Testament and plenty of early Christians were polygamists

I agree there is a lot more of a case for polygamy to be allowed but I think a lot of people who would support gay marriage in church wouldnt support it and that doesnt seem right- in my eyes if you support one you have to support the other I would think.

I agree there is a lot more of a case for polygamy to be allowed but I think a lot of people who would support gay marriage in church wouldnt support it and that doesnt seem right- in my eyes if you support one you have to support the other I would think.

In simplistic theological terms you are completely right ...

Of course the stumbling block is that polygamy is illegal in a secular sense, whilst being gay isn't, so it's a bit of a moot point.

It's a really interesting conundrum actually - because surely polygamy originally became illegal because of religious pressures? (despite polygamy being virtually accepted in the Bible) ... a case of state bending to Church.

But now, even if the Church wanted to revert back to original Biblical/Christian practices it wouldn't be able to because of the secular laws that originated from Church doctrine ... a very tangled web!

How would you feel if a Christian man wanted to marry an animal in a Christian church? Can people marry whatever/whoever they want, and expect a church to toss aside its beliefs to marry them?

A man marrying a man is a lot different than an animal.

I would support both. Really it's not my place to judge. If someone wants 10 wives and a big family they should be treated the same as you and I. As long as it isn't forced or cult like causing harm to any parties involved I say enjoy!

I'm a jealous woman, no way I could share my hubby, but to each their own.

This thread has been really interesting to read & I see both points x

I didnt get married in a church as I am not religious at all so I didnt see the point x
I'm not sure what i feel about gay marriage in a church but I'm edging more towards it being down to the church to decide x

I don't plan to marry in a church either. :)

But there are groups of Christians who believe in polygamy - for example Mormons

NO! No we dont! The Islamic faith does, but if a mormon married more than one person they would be ex communicated! There are break away groups but they are not part of the pain church! They used to practice it in the early days of the church, it was legal then, but its was for a very very short time.

What are the Sister wives? I thought they said Mormon?

I don't think anyone should be married in a church unless they truly believe in God, i don't think the Church should act on "Gods" behalf and ban Gay christians either.

I'm sorry if I've made you uncomfortable :hugs: and I'm certainly not trying to make you out to be judgemental and full of hate.... I'm just trying to say that I'm a Christian too but I interpret the Bible in a different way to you :shrug:

Personally I take Paul's letters to be his interpretations :shrug: For me they are not God's word but Paul's (and on the whole I find him to be misogynistic, intolerant and pretty much at odds with much of Christ's message at times) ....

The quote from Matthew is a direct lifting of words from the Old Testament and pertains to divorce - to take it out of context as a teaching on homosexuality is simply disingenuous in my opinion :shrug:

And this is what I mean .... I'm a Christian, but my views and interpretations differ from yours :hugs: To ask the Anglican Church to allow same sex partners to marry in the eyes of God is not wrong to me ... it celebrates love and commitment and as such espouses much of Christ's message and teachings.

Earlier in the discussion you asked why the Church should change it's practices in the face of what you, as a Christian believe ... but equally I would ask why the Church should not change it's practices to reflect what I, as a Christian, believe. We are both Christians after all and equal (as are all men) in the eyes of The Lord :thumbup:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this!!

Personally I think gays should be allowed to be married in a church if they are of that religion but as a vicar's daughter, I know that it would be very uncomfortable for some members of the clergy to perform such weddings, maybe they should have the right to refuse and let another perform the ceremony.

I'm sorry if I've made you uncomfortable :hugs: and I'm certainly not trying to make you out to be judgemental and full of hate.... I'm just trying to say that I'm a Christian too but I interpret the Bible in a different way to you :shrug:

Personally I take Paul's letters to be his interpretations :shrug: For me they are not God's word but Paul's (and on the whole I find him to be misogynistic, intolerant and pretty much at odds with much of Christ's message at times) ....

The quote from Matthew is a direct lifting of words from the Old Testament and pertains to divorce - to take it out of context as a teaching on homosexuality is simply disingenuous in my opinion :shrug:

And this is what I mean .... I'm a Christian, but my views and interpretations differ from yours :hugs: To ask the Anglican Church to allow same sex partners to marry in the eyes of God is not wrong to me ... it celebrates love and commitment and as such espouses much of Christ's message and teachings.

Earlier in the discussion you asked why the Church should change it's practices in the face of what you, as a Christian believe ... but equally I would ask why the Church should not change it's practices to reflect what I, as a Christian, believe. We are both Christians after all and equal (as are all men) in the eyes of The Lord :thumbup:

Personally I think gays should be allowed to be married in a church if they are of that religion but as a vicar's daughter, I know that it would be very uncomfortable for some members of the clergy to perform such weddings, maybe they should have the right to refuse and let another perform the ceremony.

Snap I am a vicars daughter too

Were you a very rebellious teenager like most are? :rofl:

Were you a very rebellious teenager like most are? :rofl:

No but I have made up for it in my 20s lol

I dont believe in god or go to church which upsets my parents

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member