Giving gay people the right to marry in church

The rules I mentioned are from the New Testament.

I do agree with you though that perhaps some people don't put enough work into marriages to make them work but sometimes divorce is the best thing. Its easy to look at the past with rose-coloured spectacles and think people really made marriages work back then as they didn't get divorced so much, but people also were afraid to leave bad relationships because divorce was so stigmatised.

The rules I mentioned are from the New Testament.

I do agree with you though that perhaps some people don't put enough work into marriages to make them work but sometimes divorce is the best thing. Its easy to look at the past with rose-coloured spectacles and think people really made marriages work back then as they didn't get divorced so much, but people also were afraid to leave bad relationships because divorce was so stigmatised.

Yes, they are N.T ones, normally people like the shell fish one (which I dont actually eat anyway as they sight of shell fish makes me feel ill not due to religion :haha:) My interpretation about the hair is that women should have long hair, not that they should never cut it all all and I do keep my hair long. My mil covers her head when she prays, but you could argue from Corinthians that it is the hair itself that is the covering for a woman to have when she prays. I am not really very comfortable with women preachers (although I did know a very good one)- I suppose though that this was far more from days when women were less educated and so that is why that rule was there. Although I believe that still a woman's role should be looking after her husband and family more than anything else so I respect that it is more for the man to preach and I know my husband teaches me a lot about religion and I have learnt many things from him I did not know.

I dont think in the past relationships were much better, people divorced less but probably had more affairs, I think the Bible does allow for separation just not remarriage as God makes it clear if you stop living with your spouse you should not then live/have relations with anyone else. This is why I also dont believe that people should be allow to remarry after a divorce either in the church.

Yeah that rule most likely stems from women being uneducated back then, which is why we should look at the bible in its historical context and try to recognise where something would be different due to different knowledge nowadays. I believe attitudes towards homosexuality would come under that. Back then they didn't understand it like we do now and thats probably why they condemned it, but now we know better. Just like women are educated now and don't need to keep their mouths shut in public :haha:

I think remarrying divorcees should be up to the individual priest/vicar to decide as well, if they don't feel comfortable with it then they should be able to refuse. I'm sure there's plenty others who wouldn't have a problem with it.

I am not getting remarried in a church even though my dad is a vicar, no interest too

Yeah that rule most likely stems from women being uneducated back then, which is why we should look at the bible in its historical context and try to recognise where something would be different due to different knowledge nowadays. I believe attitudes towards homosexuality would come under that. Back then they didn't understand it like we do now and thats probably why they condemned it, but now we know better. Just like women are educated now and don't need to keep their mouths shut in public :haha:

I think remarrying divorcees should be up to the individual priest/vicar to decide as well, if they don't feel comfortable with it then they should be able to refuse. I'm sure there's plenty others who wouldn't have a problem with it.

But I still think that a woman's main role should still be with her husband and children as that is what the Bible teaches us, I gave up my career when I married. Many people would still say that women should not be able to preach in the church.
I dont think that you can really liken the women preaching and homosexuality at all as it wasnt 'they' that condemned it, it is God and he certainly understands what it is. God has disallowed homosexuality because it is a sin, that has not changed because society has decided to become more accepting of it- a sin is still a sin! Just like, for example, sex outside of marriage and children outside of marriage is very common place these days- that does not mean that God now supports this. As Christian's we more and more have to go against the norms of society, we cant change the truths of the Bible because society wants us to.

Any Vicar or church that remains true to the Bible should not remarry divorcees unless they are remarrying the innocent party who was cheated on "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery." Matthew 19.9. or Corinthians1 10 Now, for those who are married I have a command that comes not from me, but from the Lord. A wife must not leave her husband. 11 But if she does leave him, let her remain single or else go back to him. And the husband must not leave his wife.

God I am such a bad vicars daughter, I cheated on my husband

To be honest it was kind of the final nail in the coffin with me for religion
Any god who would want me to stay in that relationship with that horrible man instead of finding a loving man who would never hurt me and looks after me, well I just dont get it

God I am such a bad vicars daughter, I cheated on my husband

To be honest it was kind of the final nail in the coffin with me for religion
Any god who would want me to stay in that relationship with that horrible man instead of finding a loving man who would never hurt me and looks after me, well I just dont get it

Exactly this. Any God who would want that, is not a God worth worshipping.

But I still think that a woman's main role should still be with her husband and children as that is what the Bible teaches us, I gave up my career when I married. Many people would still say that women should not be able to preach in the church.
I dont think that you can really liken the women preaching and homosexuality at all as it wasnt 'they' that condemned it, it is God and he certainly understands what it is. God has disallowed homosexuality because it is a sin, that has not changed because society has decided to become more accepting of it- a sin is still a sin! Just like, for example, sex outside of marriage and children outside of marriage is very common place these days- that does not mean that God now supports this. As Christian's we more and more have to go against the norms of society, we cant change the truths of the Bible because society wants us to.

Any Vicar or church that remains true to the Bible should not remarry divorcees unless they are remarrying the innocent party who was cheated on "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery." Matthew 19.9. or Corinthians1 10 Now, for those who are married I have a command that comes not from me, but from the Lord. A wife must not leave her husband. 11 But if she does leave him, let her remain single or else go back to him. And the husband must not leave his wife.

I believe very much in equality and that women should be able to have careers if they want to. That said, I would like to be a housewife/mother, I think I would be most comfortable in that role, but I know many women/mothers aren't and prefer to work. And some dads prefer to stay home with their kids. Whatever works for the people it concerns I reckon.

And God doesnt torture anyone forever in a fiery hell, he condemned the Israelites for sacrificing their children to false Gods and said it was something detestable to him!

Wow, that's terrible, they obviously thought they were doing things to please God and it turned out to be the wrong one!!!! That sucks!

Hang on, just imagine if you are all inadvertently following the wrong god too, how would you know until it's too late. Are we all doomed?

Just because we were created perfect, once Adam and Eve sinned that imperfection was passed down

If man was created perfect why do I have nipples, wisdom teeth and a coxis? I've not needed them yet. :winkwink:

not sure about everlasting hell (i'll find an article explaining why) but I do think people put themselves in that position if they do not want to have anything to do with the supreme being that held every modcules (sp?) of their body together. we could be in a ruin like ashes forever and never be back what we once was. Of course, that's my beliefs. I also don't think God would put homosexuals in hell if they accepted Christ. I do not think it is just about sins. I think it is deeper than that. it is about relationship with God. Sins and disobedience is just something that help you realize where you stand, even a simple instruction like do not eat the fruit (why did they want to eat it). marriage is really suppose to symbolize or a picture Christ and the church but people get divorce, cheat, lie, etc. all the time. we are sinning everyday in God's eyes but we keep justifying it. why? because we are NOT God. Only God can Go through human life and not ecommit a single sin. Again, my beliefs, I know not everyone agrees

There's something I wanted to add...

I'm a Christian, fully believe the Bible is the inerrant Word of God..but I don't think you can really legislate "morality" regardless of whether homosexual behavior is "right" or "wrong."

As far as the marriage thing...I personally didn't get married in a Christian church. I was married by a woman who owns a wedding chapel in her back yard. Getting married as a religious ritual means nothing to me anyway.

Secondly, I'm in the US. I had a coworker who I became very close friends with who is from England. She came to the US on a student visa. She's about 10-12 years older than I am I believe. (Not that the age matters, I just wanted to say that she's not in her twenties - probably almost 50 by now). Anyway, she met another woman here who is the absolute love of her life. Unfortunately, because they are unable to get legally married where I live, and she was unable to get employment sponsorship, my friend had to go back to England and leave the woman she loves here. I don't know all of legal issues, but right now they have to live apart because they cannot be granted the same legal protections as a heterosexual couple. The woman that lives here is 72 years old and I think that might be part of the reason why she isn't able to move to be with her. I really don't know details.

What I do know, however, is that it breaks my heart. I want them to be able to be together.

I really miss my friend, too.:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->