Giving gay people the right to marry in church

Oh and I got divorced and had a child out of wedlock

I had a child out of wedlock too, that pissed them off but I do still go to church sometimes. But I stopped going in the first place because of the gay issue.

My mum still tries me to get me to join a church where I like but its not gonna happen

I made my choice although I did get Rhys Christened to please them but I dont take him

I'm 'living in sin' with my OH :haha:

Not a regular church goer either :D

What are the Sister wives? I thought they said Mormon?

they are break away groups. the disagreed with the teaching of the church (on polpgramy) and created their own little groups where they teach there own views, not those of the churches.

Oh okay, thanks :) I wasn't sure.

I am Roman Catholic and I pray every night and I do go to church, but I don't agree with all the teachings, I guess I am a hypocrite? I believe anyone has the right to marry whoever they want and love and yes they also have every right to be married in the church or anywhere else they choose . I just don't find anything wrong with it, it doesn't bother me at all. One thing I will say for me as far as my kids go they do accept gay people more than my generation did and I think that is great. I was born in 1970 and in school gay people were kept hidden and not talked about or made fun of :nope: I find with my kids and their friends now it is like SO what he is gay or she is gay, it is not a big deal and in New York City ( Manhattan ) it really is not a big deal. There are a lot of things I think now are much more accepted than when I was a kid and I think that is a good thing. :flower:

The church does not own marriage so if same sex couples want to marry then it is fine by me. The problem they may find is getting a vicar to do it for them.

The church does not own marriage so if same sex couples want to marry then it is fine by me. The problem they may find is getting a vicar to do it for them.

The church has specific beliefs about marriage, however, and therefore it is controversial to expect a church to alter or toss aside its beliefs to marry two people it doesn't believe should be married.

Your argument could suggest that I, a non-Mormon, could get married in the Mormon temple because they don't "own marriage" and therefore cannot deny me to get married in their sacred church reserved for Mormons only.

The church has specific beliefs about marriage, however, and therefore it is controversial to expect a church to alter or toss aside its beliefs to marry two people it doesn't believe should be married.

Your argument could suggest that I, a non-Mormon, could get married in the Mormon temple because they don't "own marriage" and therefore cannot deny me to get married in their sacred church reserved for Mormons only.

You couldnt get married in a mormon temple, you have to follow certain rules etc to do that, so not even all members are able to. In the UK that practice is illegal, so for mormons in the UK we get married in a church (til death do us part) which is a public servive, then travel to a temple to get married "again" but this marriage we believe is for eternity.

You couldnt get married in a mormon temple, you have to follow certain rules etc to do that, so not even all members are able to. In the UK that practice is illegal, so for mormons in the UK we get married in a church (til death do us part) which is a public servive, then travel to a temple to get married "again" but this marriage we believe is for eternity.

That's interesting how that works in the UK. In the US, Mormons get married in Mormon temples and Protestants get married in Protestant churches (or another Christian-based church), etc. By the way, I was never suggesting that I would ever try to get married in a Mormon temple, only making a point of how it is fair for churches to discriminate who they marry based on their beliefs!! ;)

That's interesting how that works in the UK. In the US, Mormons get married in Mormon temples and Protestants get married in Protestant churches (or another Christian-based church), etc. By the way, I was never suggesting that I would ever try to get married in a Mormon temple, only making a point of how it is fair for churches to discriminate who they marry based on their beliefs!! ;)

So where do Christian/Jewish/muslim homo-sexuals get married infront of their god? Or are they really just not allowed to be part of that faith?

Not having any religion i would never have a religious ceremony, regardless of my sexuality. However there are plenty homosexual people who have faith and would like to be involved and accepted and truely part of that faith. Where is the place for them?

They will just try to have to search for a church that is willing to marry them (although, tough luck!) No church should be expected to marry them. I still believe the church has the power to discriminate who they will and will not marry. And since the (Christian) church didn't design the concept of (a Christian) marriage in the first place, who are they to re-define it?

Currently no church can legally marry them whether they are willing or not is a different issue. I also believe that a church should be able to say on a individual basis who they can and cannot marry, be they gay/straight or any other combination.

Maybe there are churchs out there willing to have gay people marry as long as they are active in the religion? We dont really know and wont unless it becomes legal to marry within a religious setting

Currently no church can legally marry them whether they are willing or not is a different issue. I also believe that a church should be able to say on a individual basis who they can and cannot marry, be they gay/straight or any other combination.

Maybe there are churchs out there willing to have gay people marry as long as they are active in the religion? We dont really know and wont unless it becomes legal to marry within a religious setting

It sounds different in the UK. I believe in the US there are some Evangelical churches that have said yes to marrying gays. Most churches, I will assure you, are very much against gay marriage here. So even if it were made legal in all 50 states to marry someone of the same sex, most churches would still strongly oppose. Also, there are some states that allow gay marriage, and some that don't. So, it could vary state-to-state on whether a same-sex marriage is recognized or not. So I guess you would have to find a willing church within a state that allows gay marriage in order to be married.

They will just try to have to search for a church that is willing to marry them (although, tough luck!) No church should be expected to marry them. I still believe the church has the power to discriminate who they will and will not marry. And since the (Christian) church didn't design the concept of (a Christian) marriage in the first place, who are they to re-define it?

I disagree. I don't believe churches should have the right to discriminate. What if they decided all black people couldn't attend or get married. Or women? It's ridiculous. It's all the same too.

I disagree. I don't believe churches should have the right to discriminate. What if they decided all black people couldn't attend or get married. Or women? It's ridiculous. It's all the same too.

No church should have to go against the basic tenants of its faith in order to satisfy society. I don't believe that a church should force it's views on on others, and I don't believe that others should force their views on a church.

Churches are exempt from many discrimination laws for a good reason. For example, if a church wanted to hire a pastor, it could deny an atheist that position because of their religious beliefs. If a transgender who is now considered "female" wanted to become a nun, certainly that would be a big slap in the face to a church if the church couldn't refuse to hire him/her because of sexuality due to anti-discrimination laws.

I know that you think it makes sense, but I dont agree with it. Discrimination is judging, and in the bible, it says not to judge. This isnt Gods will. This is judging by sinful humans.

"Do not judge and criticize and condemn others, so that you may not be judged and criticized and condemned yourselves. For just as you judge and criticize and condemn others, you will be judged and criticized and condemned, and in accordance with the measure you deal out to others, it will be dealt out again to you. "--Matthew 7:1-2

I will let God decide. I believe God made us perfect, and I will not judge what He has made. Gay is what he made...for what reason...I dont know. But I will accept it and be thankful for what He has given.

(responding to the original post) I know many churches who interpret the bible differently. So some are fine with gay marriages, and these churches have every rights to marry them.

Episcopalians or certain branch of Methodist usually accept gay and even will marry them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->