Giving up your cats... *NOW WITH PHOTOS!!!*

that was a joke btw. lol.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, just wondering what you all made of this...

My sis-in-law has said that whenever me and hubby have kids that i'll have to get rid of the dog and cats!!!! I have a 4 year old great dane, and 2 2year old cats! Why on earth would i have to give them up?! She didnt just mean 4 pregnancy either! "Because you just cant have them around a baby!" Why cant i??? So that my kids can grow up petrified of animals like hers are?? Grrr. Sorry. I needed to vent. I love her to pieces, but this is something that we obviously do not see eye to eye on!

I think you learn a lot of stuff from ur parents: hers got rid of their dog because it kept bumping into her when she was toddling!!!! MY dog is my baby! Theres no way i could get rid of her! My parents, on the other hand, had a great-dane when i was born... when i was toddling, i just had to learn to deal with falling on my bottom, and avoid the tail end (its like a whip!). I have such a fantastic relationship with animals, and i think its coz i was brought up with them, and i want my children to be the same!

Anyone else feel this way?

I have always had dogs around my kids. We have a great dane and a greyhound. No problem if you are careful and sensible. Kids adore the dogs. Ignore the silly woman

Kate -- i love your avatar pic! I would love to have a har gd! That is my second choice after an Irish Wolfhound. LOL

I feel the same as you. I have 1 dog (Beagle) and 5 cats. I wouldn't dream of getting rid of any of them. My LO arrives in 3 weeks. As a matter of fact, my beagle is old and getting old FAST (iykwim)... so I don't expect she'll be around when it comes time for LO to toddle and be able to remember her. I fully intend to get another dog at that point. I WANT him to grow up around animals. I think it is essential! He'll learn how to care for them and treat them well and with respect.

I also grew up with animals -- dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice, rabbits, turtles, fish -- anything you could keep in city limits. :rofl: My parents weren't always thrilled but it fostered important things in me. It led me to a biology degree and becoming a zookeeper for many years (which was my DREAM job!)

I cannot imagine my life not surrounded by animals!

How daft if a dog is trusted then there is no problem - i have a nearly 4 year old boy and a 2 year old collie dog.

We dont let the dog sleep in Kierans room but they are best mates - i grew up with pets and i think it is very important for children as it helps them develop many skills and give them a play mate !!

I wasn't brought up with animals - and the first thing I did when I got home was to fill my house with them (ok, maybe not quite fill it lol)

I have 2 whippets that are house dogs and Mr Urch has 2 lurchers and a border terrier that are kenneled dogs.....and no way are any of them leaving!

What I will do though is divide the garden if (when?) baby Urchin arrives, so that he/she isn't crawling around where dog poo has been
and
I wouldn't leave any small child alone with dogs, no matter how much I trusted them

Actually, I think having pets around can be a good thing. Of course, if your animal was out of control then you may not have many options but if they need some obedience training, go for it now while you have the time.

I could have sworn that I read that babies that grow up with animals in the house are less likely to be allergic to them as they grown. Anybody know?

Besides, they learn to take care of another living being and to be gentle...handy for when you bring that 2nd baby into the house.

Yes, the allergy thing is true.

It fits well with the same evidence about being TOO clean and sterile. Kids that live in houses where everything is always spotless and disinfected... where they aren't allowed to get dirty and play in the mud... etc etc... are more likely to develop allergies in general. The immune system gets in the habit of having little to react to so when it gets any sort of trigger, it over reacts.

We have 3 cats and they are going NO WHERE if we conceive!! x

I could never part with my two....anyways OH cleans out there poo lol

I have only heard the risk from cats. My friend who when pregnant used to breed cats and they also had two dogs. She just had her OH do all the litter trays.

I definately won't be getting rid of my dear feline friend Jabba but will probably have to stock up on gloves and masks cos DH hates the litter tray :(

definitely... it's just the poop and even then, you just need to take extra care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->