going to the zoo! child reins/harness?

sbl

Mum of 2
Reaction score
I've never used a child reins before but as we're going to the zoo this weekend and lo hates the buggy for long periods I've decided to use one.
Any suggestions on what kind? With backpack or not at 18 months?
Thanks ladies x

I don't have any helpful suggestions about types of reins but wanted to say that I usually just let the boys loose at the zoo. I feel that the one we go to is the only place I can give them that kind of freedom without worrying about traffic etc. I guess it would depend on how busy the zoo is and how easy it is to keep an eye on your LO but it's just a thought.

The zoo we are going to will be super busy as it's in Dublin and its a bank holiday so I wouldn't be comfortable with letting her off.

I've always used the little life bags with 'lead' for my 2 and they love it :) I did once try proper reins but my daughter refused to walk with them on, lol. Xx

With my first it was nice and easy to keep hold of her. Reins were insane. Why would anyone put their child on a lead? She never ran away. I thought my parenting had somehow taught her to be this way. She was the perfect toddler........... Then my son was born and he's an absolute menace. Needless to say I now own a pair of backpack reins and he absolutely loves them to pieces. I can unclip the lead bit when he's in a safe place and clip it back on when I need to be in control.

We bought a little rucksack thing with reins on it but to be honest we rarely used it. I thought they would be good but found them restrictive to him. I'd just take the buggy but that's my opinion. I personally didn't like the feeling of using reins as I found that everytime I tugged on them I was almost pulling him over or stoping him explore. But that's my personal view. x

We went recently. It was a bank holiday so far too busy to let DS loose. He had reins on and we had the buggy with us so he could sit down when he needed to. I did think about the backpack thing, but didn't want to keep having to take it off him everytime he wanted the buggy.

I've just got some basic Lindam reins for Alex and he's 17 months, they're fine for us. The backpack reins look nice though.

I bought this one for Pheebs, cheap as chips and pretty.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toddler-Safety-Harness-Backpack-LADYBIRD/dp/B0063E6JL6

I bought this one for Pheebs, cheap as chips and pretty.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toddler-Safety-Harness-Backpack-LADYBIRD/dp/B0063E6JL6

I have the same one, but I bought mine off eBay. It was a little cheaper, but delivery took a few weeks.

My daughter loves her little backpack. Even the "leash" part she loves. Last week we were at the park and she didn't have the leash part on. I was sitting and she kept insisting I follow her. So she picked up the leash and put it in my hand. I guess it's clear I'm the one being walked on a leash :haha:
It gives her much more freedom than sitting in her stroller, so she loves it. Maybe if she had already been used to walking by herself, she wouldn't have appreciated the introduction of a restraint, but that's not the case.
I get to walk with her without having to worry, so I love it too.

I think it is still important to give your toddler clear instructions (like "hold mommy's hand" or "stay near") and follow through, as if the harness wasn't there.

Thank you ladies. That's a great help to me.
Lego in my pre toddler ignorance I swore I would never use such a thing. How wrong I was!! :D

We used the little life backpack reins too and they were great. We still use the backpack now for his things when we are going out.

Just to add I never let my parents use the backpack as they tended to use them like a dog lead and pull on DS when he tried to get away instead of talking to him and asking for his hand etc. I guess they didn't get that I used them to stop DS darting off suddenly and not to control his every move!

I have one similar to the littlelife bag. I thought I'd never use one either but seeing as I was battling an airport on my own with LO I needed something to make sure she was still safe but still could use both hands (pulling the bag, handing tickets and passports over etc). I think that whole experience would have been a nightmare without it.

We have a little life bag and love it!

I do always make sure Dylan holds hands too tho when we're near something or crossing a road etc :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->