Gonal Girls

Thanks dbluett...I am trying to be more assertive at my RE's office. I've been pretty laid back up to this point, but reading this thread has made me realize that knowledge is power (sorry to be corny, but it's true!). My doc has the same technology where I can see what they're seeing and they always measure and say the measurements out loud, but they definitely never have given me a printout...that's awesome!!! So how is the 2WW treating you?? Are you hanging in there?? I am crossing fingers AND toes for ya!!!

TWW is treating me well. I am haning in there. I am 4dpiui. I have had some minor cramping. I am sure that by this time next week I will want to test, if the :witch: doesn't show up. But I am going to try and hold off.

Thank you for crossing your fingers and toes!

Sorry to bombard y'all with info and questions, but I'm not sure where else to get such expert opinions!!! I had bloodwork and u/s done this morning on CD11. I took 5 mgs of femara on days 4-8 and 75 units of gonal-f on days 9 & 10. Doc saw 5 follicles: on right I have a 22x13, a 13x12 and a 16x12. On left I have a 19x14 and a 21x17. My estrogen was 211, progesterone was 0.75 and LH was 1.35. Lining was a 6.4. They want me to do another 75 unit shot of the Gonal-f and go back in for bloodwork and an u/s tomorrow. She said the hope is that the gonal shot will thicken my lining up. Does anyone have any insight here?? This will be my 3rd IUI this time around (I had 5 IUIs before getting pregnant with my now 2 and 1/2 year old daughter) and I realized I need to learn how to decipher all these numbers, rather than just go along blindly...any help or insight would be SUPER appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Your estrogen does seem low for all those follies. I had a 19.6 and 16.8 and my estrogen was well over 700. I wish you luck and keep us updated.

Turkey - it's very possible that both your follies and your lining will grow and it's a good sign that you're only on CD11. I had a bunch of large follicles, with 2 definitely mature at my last u/s, 1 more most likely mature by the time I ovulated, and I only have 1 bub growing. So I know it can be scary to have so many follicles growing, but based on your estrogen level, I wouldn't worry too much, as like Chiles said, many of them may just be cysts. I did end up with OHSS and had some pretty massive cysts early in my pregnancy, but they've all worked their way out now and my ovaries actually look better now than they have in ... well, probably forever.

I think things look good for you at this point and hopefully they'll continue to go well. I seemed to typically ovulate on CD18, so you could possibly have just a couple of days or maybe another week to go. That's why monitoring is so important. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the feedback gals...I went for another check at the RE this morning and the doc said I'd had a "perfect cycle"! I'm trying not to put too much stock in that one comment, but it sure made me feel good. I asked if my lining had gotten thicker at all and he said it had (I'm gonna call tomorrow to get specific #s, as they don't leave any, other than levels, on voicemail). My levels don't seem to have changed all that much...E-289, P-0.5 & LH-1.21. Regardless, I was told to trigger tonight, and IUI is scheduled for Friday.

Here's a question in regard to my possibly "low estrogen"...isn't femara an estrogen-blocker? Is it possible that my level is on the low side as a result of taking that??? Good lord now I'm getting nervous that I have a boatload of cysts going on...trying not too overthink here, but it seems to be all I do these days...sigh.

Anyway, thanks for all the insight & support.

Yes that is correct about Femara, it has a short life in the system so there should not be to much interference from it now...My RE considered each mature follicle e2 should be at 150-400. And since I had PCO the smaller one contribute to e2 as well its hard to get an accurate number. That particular cycle I had 8 maturing follicles(later we found was cysts) they did and E2 and it came bk at like 400 something and i had to sit out an cycle on take birthcontrol pills. The cycle that they cancelled and I got pregnant on my e2 was like 4000 and I had 7 maturing follicles and lot of small ones. Thats just my story I am hoping it all works out for you!!!

Thanks Chiles! You're so kind and knowledgable!! I just did a little research on the whole femara estrogen connection, and it does seem to be a consideration. I'm just glad I'm starting to understand the levels etc. because last time around I had no clue what everything meant. One last question...if I possibly have 3 mature follies (based on yesterday's u/s), then I should have an approx. E2 level of 600. What does it mean if I don't? (disregard the whole femara situation). Is that a crazy question?? I guess I don't understand what the estrogen's role is...I kind of get progesterone b/c I've taken the suppositories (fun!!) many a cycle and I understand progesterone to make things nice & sticky for ccessful implantation...estrogen (and LH for that matter) I'm not too clear on...

Thanks again for your help! Hope you are feeling great!!!

Estrogen basically is like the egg inside of the follicle...the numbers let the doc knows if there is an possible mature egg in there. If you have 2 18mm follicles and your e2 is at 40, then more likely its just fluid filled cyst, versus if you had those same 2 18mm follicles and a e2 of like 450 then its more and likely those have viable eggs in there. You can also ask some of the ladies who have had ivf...when they would have like 12 follicles and only get 7 eggs and such. I don't know if I am explaining my best. But I am trying. Sorry. Don't worry about all that just now. Let's see how your cycle plays out. If you are doing the trigger then more and likely if those are cysts you will definitely know...goodluck

Turkey - Chiles was right on - Femera is an estrogen blocker, but it's job is to make your body produce more estrogen and fsh because it thinks it's low (due to being blocked by the drug). Femera is out of your system in like 40 hours or less, but I guess it's possible that your estrogen might be slightly lower because of it. As your follies grow, they produce estrogen. The estrogen helps to thicken your lining. Once your estrogen "peaks" (which is completely varied by person and by cycle), it signals a burst in LH. The LH peak signals your follies to "pop". Once you've ovulated, the corpus luteum (what's left of the follicle) produces progesterone to "fluff" up your lining and make it nice and soft. The presence of progesterone keeps you from bleeding...and you probably know the rest.

So yes, a typical mature follicle should produce estrogen levels of somewhere around 200, but it could be more or less. Smaller follicles will also produce estrogen, which will obviously raise your level and may mislead someone into thinking they have a mature follicle. Based on what I know, your level should be fine at this point, but it is on the low side. Some doctors start to worry if it gets up near 1000 during a medicated cycle, and the higher it gets, the more a chance you have of OHSS (hyperstimulating). On my bfp cycle, my e2 was over 2000 with probably 3 fully mature follies and loads of smaller ones - way high, and yes, I hyperstimulated. BUT, I only got pregnant with one, so it was worth it for me.

I'll be interested to see what your lining measured today! I would trust your doctor in that everything went smoothly and hopefully you'll get your bfp!! Good luck!!

Thanks Chiles & Cridge...I really do get it now. Thanks for taking the time to explain the E2 to me.

Just called my RE's office and was told my lining was at an 8 yesterday and that it was "type 2"...not sure what that's all about. She also said my right ovary has 1 @ 13-14 range, 1 @ 15-16 range and 1 @ 19. Left ovary has 2 in the 20 range. I asked her about the estrogen and she said it was normal...I asked if it might imply cysts rather than eggs and she told me no, that if there were cysts, they'd have seen them at my baseline u/s. now I'm REALLY confused!!! Ha! I guess I'll just try to relax...time will tell, right??

Thanks again, SO much!!! :0)

Thanks Chiles & Cridge...I really do get it now. Thanks for taking the time to explain the E2 to me.

Just called my RE's office and was told my lining was at an 8 yesterday and that it was "type 2"...not sure what that's all about. She also said my right ovary has 1 @ 13-14 range, 1 @ 15-16 range and 1 @ 19. Left ovary has 2 in the 20 range. I asked her about the estrogen and she said it was normal...I asked if it might imply cysts rather than eggs and she told me no, that if there were cysts, they'd have seen them at my baseline u/s. now I'm REALLY confused!!! Ha! I guess I'll just try to relax...time will tell, right??

Thanks again, SO much!!! :0)

Good Luck!!!

Here is some baby :dust:

Good luck Turkey!

Cridge - did you find out the sex of your baby? Do you want to? :)

Turkey - I'm not sure what "type 2" means...?? They look for lining that is trilameter, meaning it has 3 layers, so it might be related to that?? I would guess that you'll ovulate the 2 over 20mm, maaaybe the one at 19. Good luck!

Curliegirlie - yes! We found out at 13.5 weeks that we're having another boy, but we waited until our 16 week gender u/s to confirm. And then I had to triple check at 20 weeks, but even since 13 weeks, there's really been no doubting it. :haha: I would have LOVED to have a surprise baby once in my life, but since we had absolutely nothing for baby, I needed time to prepare. Also, I really was secretly (or not so much so) hoping for a girl, so I needed time to "mourn" so I wasn't disappointed at birth. It sounds crazy, I know, since I've been wanting another for 10 years, but yes, I did have some gender disappointment. Obviously, I'm thrilled to be having another baby and that he's a boy!

Will you be finding out?

I haven't decided! It's a toughie... On one hand I want to, on the other hand, I feel a surprise would be fun! But I'm not sure if I can handle not knowing...

Congrats to you and your little boy :) Is this your second?

I have a question. The last few days i have been having some cramping, nothing major and not like AF cramps. Is it too early for implantation cramping? I will be 6dpiui.

i dont wanna find out. my cousins have given me a bunch of stuff already and have a ton more to give me. they have 2 girls and a boy so im set either way

Cridge-thanks again!!! Such exciting news about your baby boy!!! Congrats!

Curliegirlie & Dr. Squid-I have a two & a half year old daughter and we didn't find out the sex beforehand. It was tough, but the anticipation was soooo fun! And I was SURE it was a boy...SURPRISE! Either way..so exciting! Congrats!!

Dbluett-sorry i can't help you...I'm still trying to figure this all out. Did you google??? A blessing and a curse I know, but at least info's available...

:hi: ladies thought I'd pop by even though I am on a natural cycle... It's boring but relaxing just want to get onto my next round and I'm only cd5...

Gl ladies sending plenty of baby :dust:

curliegirlie - yes, this is my 2nd. My first is 10 and we've basically been ttc #2 ever since he was born - even tried adoption for a couple of years, which didn't work out for us. So we're very excited to be adding another member to our family and unless a miracle beyond miracles happen, this will be our last - after 14 years of dealing with infertility, I'm so happy to close that book in my life!!

I'm always a little jealous of those that can keep gender a secret. I just couldn't do it with #1 and was even more obsessed about finding out with this one. I'd like to say that if by some chance I ever get pregnant again it'll be a surprise, but I just don't know if I could stand the suspense. Besides that, I don't think I could force myself to close my eyes during any part of an u/s, so I'm pretty sure I'd figure it out even if I did want a surprise. :haha:

dbluett - I implanted at 6dpo, so definitely not too early! :thumbup:

curliegirlie - yes, this is my 2nd. My first is 10 and we've basically been ttc #2 ever since he was born - even tried adoption for a couple of years, which didn't work out for us. So we're very excited to be adding another member to our family and unless a miracle beyond miracles happen, this will be our last - after 14 years of dealing with infertility, I'm so happy to close that book in my life!!

I'm always a little jealous of those that can keep gender a secret. I just couldn't do it with #1 and was even more obsessed about finding out with this one. I'd like to say that if by some chance I ever get pregnant again it'll be a surprise, but I just don't know if I could stand the suspense. Besides that, I don't think I could force myself to close my eyes during any part of an u/s, so I'm pretty sure I'd figure it out even if I did want a surprise. :haha:

dbluett - I implanted at 6dpo, so definitely not too early! :thumbup:

Oh good to know. Did you have cramping?

cridge- heh since i keep obsessively scanning... and i can read em... thisll be tough

turkey- im pregnant with twins so,,, twice the surprise

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->