Gonal Girls

I'm not sure what my RE's limit will be.....as it's not likely with Hubby's DNA that even one will be viable let alone all that are produced. But it does pose some questions that I guess I should ask her. I guess my mind was just still in a whirl Friday as I really wasn't expecting to jump into everything so quickly.

Chiles I miss naps!!!

Yep, assisted TTC is a crazy thing! It can be very wonderful too :)

There is something called selective reduction, not a happy thing to think about, but if you were to get pregnant with more then you felt comfortable with, it is an option. Most Dr's don't like to discuss it because it is not a fun thing to discuss, and most will opt against it, but its still important to know that it is an option. Selective reduction is when you end up with more embryos implanting then you feel is appropriate (read octomom). They can go in there and remove 1 or more of them. This is something that I might consider if I were to end up with 3-4 implanting. I'm not sure as a single mom, almost 40 yrs old that I could reasonably deliver 4 healthy babies, or care for them adequately. It is a sticky subject for many, and truth be told I hope I don't have to make that decision. However; I do feel it is important to know all your options even if they are less than optimal.
:hug:

Amber- its worth asking all fs/rre's are different :)

Chiles- glad your nap was great :)

Af cramps ever so slight but that Gould be a good sign that in a couple of days the :witch: should be here :)

Heh sorry to be a know it all. Unusually octomom did not end up that way from
Iui unlike most super multiples. She had an idiot ivf doc who apparently put back some enormous number of embryos. But yeah any reasonable doc should discuss reduction with you as if you don't feel it is an option then you shouldn't do iui with more than 2-3 follicles. The outcomes we see on tv are the "good" ones. That being said, thinking you could reduce and then actually having to do it are two different beasts. I always thought no problem I'd reduce... Then I had a triplets scare and it was a lot harder to think about (though I still think I would have been able to do it). Funny after that twins didn't seem like as big of a deal

My friends keep joking that I will end up pregnant with 6 babies! I keep telling them no way lol! I understand the concept of selective reduction but don't really have an opinion on that just yet. Honestly I'll be surprised if even with 3 follies if we end up with one sticky bean. I don't know the exact percentage but my RE said it could be something like 50% that we actually get the right sperm and egg together. That's why she suggested IVF with genetic assistance so they could test the embies for the translocation and know if they would progress or not.

Heh sorry to be a know it all. Unusually octomom did not end up that way from
Iui unlike most super multiples. She had an idiot ivf doc who apparently put back some enormous number of embryos. But yeah any reasonable doc should discuss reduction with you as if you don't feel it is an option then you shouldn't do iui with more than 2-3 follicles. The outcomes we see on tv are the "good" ones. That being said, thinking you could reduce and then actually having to do it are two different beasts. I always thought no problem I'd reduce... Then I had a triplets scare and it was a lot harder to think about (though I still think I would have been able to do it). Funny after that twins didn't seem like as big of a deal

Yes, octomom did IVF, sorry I didn't mean to scare you with that when you are actually doing timed IUI! I think that Dr should be barred from practicing medicine! How can you transfer 8 embryos? :wacko:

So you think you would have done it if you were having triplets? I think I would have to as well. Still it is a daunting thought, so nice you didn't have to make that decision! I hope I don't either :thumbup: Still, it is nice to know it is an option, you know?

My friends keep joking that I will end up pregnant with 6 babies! I keep telling them no way lol! I understand the concept of selective reduction but don't really have an opinion on that just yet. Honestly I'll be surprised if even with 3 follies if we end up with one sticky bean. I don't know the exact percentage but my RE said it could be something like 50% that we actually get the right sperm and egg together. That's why she suggested IVF with genetic assistance so they could test the embies for the translocation and know if they would progress or not.

That is definitely an option! I know my FS offered me the option to pick the sex of the embryos that I transferred for an additional $4800! I'm like.. UMMM.. no I think I'll just be happy with what we get!

I am doing the following added options: ICSI and Assisted Hatching. The ICSI is where they select a nice healthy looking sperm and inject it into the egg to help it fertilize. The assisted hatching is where they break the embryo (like cracking into an egg) to allow it to latch onto the uterine wall once it is transferred. If you were to go the route of IVF, using ICSI might be a good option for you guys, as it would help those sperm fertilize! For me, I opted to choose both, the ICSI will help since I'm using donor sperm, and the assisted hatching is recommended for women 38 and over. Well my 40th is exactly 1 month today. EEK!

Can I just say that this month is moving sooooo slowly! I can't believe I still have 3 weeks left before I know if this even works! This week coming up with be a busy one though, we'll have the egg retrieval and the egg transfer, then I'll be in the 2WW.

ali- wow i dont think it is actual legal for them to do gender picking like that (unless there is a genetic reason such as gender specific diseases). yeah i was glad too.. yeah i never wanted multiples. one the first us it looked like one embryo had split into two but.. it was apparently an error (transabdominal scan so early isnt very good). id likely have done cvs and hoped someone was abnormal to make it easier. hard decisions but good outcomes with super multiples are less common than we think cause we only see the success stories (i have 2 friends with triplets who are fine btw). but.. i also didnt think i could parent 3 (or more)

amber - I temped during my gonal-f cycles. I needed to have every bit of information I could get so I liked having a "second check" on what my body was doing even though I was being monitored. Gonal-f shouldn't mess with your temps at all, so if you choose to temp, it should be just like normal. At least, that was my experience.

Alicat, thank you so much for all that info! I love it! I hope these next 3 weeks fly by for you. Just try to keep yourself busy and occupied.

Amber, I didnt temp during my monitored cycle until they canceled it (as you can see in my chart below). I started to because I was told I may or may not ovulate on my own since I didn't trigger- so I wanted to see if I would. Gave it until today (cd17) and still had negative OPKs so I started Provera today so that way I knew for sure that I would start my next cycle without having to wait two months! Since your DH has the DNA issue, your RE may be increasing your dose to make/grow more follicles. I had 7 mature ones so they canceled mine- wish we could have traded!

I do ovulate on my own so if they cancel mine and I don't do the trigger will I still ovulate? And if so is there a chance all will or will just one? I am still temping but it's my first month doing that so I don't know much about it.

Some will ovulate on their own even if they don't take the trigger but some don't. It seems that ladies who typically ovulate on their own do ovulate even though they didn't trigger. How many you will ovulate though is anyone's guess. You may ivulate one or all. Sounds like you are responding very well to the meds though- so I wouldn't worry much. I have been temping for well over a year- so let me know if you have ant questions. I learned a lot when I read "Taking Charge of your Fertility." I highly recommend this book!

Amber- its anyone's guess hun? I would say yes but you may only ovulate one or two as its usually the trigger that release all the eggs, but it's so hard to guess what our bodies will do :shrug:
Last cycle I had three mature follicles I NEVER or very rarely ovulate on my own and I ovulated before the trigger- my body released two of the three (if there was eggs in all 3) I think once they're a certain size your body releases them and they missed my o as it was a weekend... I was glad I ovulated though as they wouldn't trigger me with 3 follicles!

Everyone is different, but I'm guessing if it got cancelled you are likely to still ovulate, but how many is anyone's guess :)

Thanks so much you all have been so helpful! I have another US Tuesday. Getting excited to see how it goes!

Hello ladies!

I was about to send a long message to everyone Friday and then my day got crazy busy. So stressed these days. Trying not to worry so much about stuff!

Anyway, Alicatt: you have some exciting times coming up! How is your clinic? Mine was amazing - such nice doctors, nurses and staff. It made the whole process a lot easier. Can't wait for your updates!

Amber - I never got a chance to say hi, so welcome! It looks like the ladies have been doing a great job of answering your questions. This is really a great little group.

Scerena - has AF shown up yet?? What gives? FX for you!

Kmae - do you know when you can start your next cycle?

Chiles - I am doing pretty well, thanks. The fatigue and sickness are beginning to subside a bit, but still feeling super tired because there's a lot going on right now. Mid October, I move to another city. My work is insane right now, and we are having big issues selling our house (I won't get into the details, but some people are SO uncooperative - there's no reasoning with them). It's quite stressful!

Chiles - I am the same as you - I check for blood every time I go to the bathroom! I guess the paranoia never really goes away!

Thanks Curliegirlie! Yes the group has done wonderfully! Just still so glad I found it.:happydance:

Hello ladies!

I was about to send a long message to everyone Friday and then my day got crazy busy. So stressed these days. Trying not to worry so much about stuff!

Anyway, Alicatt: you have some exciting times coming up! How is your clinic? Mine was amazing - such nice doctors, nurses and staff. It made the whole process a lot easier. Can't wait for your updates!

Amber - I never got a chance to say hi, so welcome! It looks like the ladies have been doing a great job of answering your questions. This is really a great little group.

Scerena - has AF shown up yet?? What gives? FX for you!

Kmae - do you know when you can start your next cycle?

Chiles - I am doing pretty well, thanks. The fatigue and sickness are beginning to subside a bit, but still feeling super tired because there's a lot going on right now. Mid October, I move to another city. My work is insane right now, and we are having big issues selling our house (I won't get into the details, but some people are SO uncooperative - there's no reasoning with them). It's quite stressful!

Chiles - I am the same as you - I check for blood every time I go to the bathroom! I guess the paranoia never really goes away!

I really like my clinic. They are all so very nice, and the Dr is very thorough. I think he is one of those Dr's that really has to work at his bedside manner, but he does try. I'm super mega tired and frustrated right now, but that has nothing to do with my clinic.

They said that fatigue is a side effect of having high levels of estrogen in your system. Well, yes, I'm exhausted. I just want to sleep all day! Plus my silly follicles 27 of them to be exact, are not growing fast enough for me. They are between 12 and 17 right now, although the Dr thinks that some of them are actually bigger than 12 and they are all just so tight, and squished together. He doesn't think the egg retrieval will be until Friday. That means taking $432 of menopur for an extra 4 days. ARGH. I'm hoping that they do a huge jump today, and are suddenly ready to trigger tomorrow. That would make me very happy!

:hug: to all of you, and GL on your cycles!

Curlie, I have 8 more days of Provera and will hopefully see AF 3-4days after (who knows what my body will actually do though). Once AF arrives I'll go in for a cyst check. I am expecting to have cysts since my cycle was cancelled and I had 7 mature follicles-so we'll see if I have to sit out another month or not. I should know around the 21st of this month (I hope!).

Alicatt, I hope those follies are getting nice and juicy!

Curliegirlie :nope: still no af :grr: sorry that you are so stressed :hugs: I am glad that your sickness is subsiding :hugs: your pregnancy seems to be going so quickly :)

Alicatt good luck for tomorrow I hope your follicles surprise you :hugs: fx'd!

Hi Ladies! I'm new to this forum and want to join in. We've been TTC #1 for us (#3 for DH) for 12 months. I did 3 unsuccessful rounds of clomid this past spring, then took the summer off from meds. I go in Wednesday for baseline bloodwork and u/s, and will start injections either Weds. or Thursday. I am considered 'unexplained' as I ovulate regularly on my own, and my hormone levels are all in the normal range.

Bonnie
12th cycle TTC #1

Good Luck Bonnie with your cycle :dust:

And welcome to the Gonal Girls thread!!!!!

scerena- Hope Af show soon!!!!! I am so ready for you to start your new cycle...probably just as ready as you are. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->