Good Home Cooking recipies

lynnikins

Reaction score
I just thought for the sake of our own health and our childrens that it might be an idea to share some nice healthy easy to cook recipes that are easy on the wallet and yummy for the tummy

i'll start with my own recipe which im making tomorrow for lunch

Butternut Squash Soup

1x Butternut squash ( or other pumpkin )
1-2x vege stock cubes ( kudos to you if you make your own stock )
1x large white onion
2x cloves of garlic
1x teaspon vege or olive oil
Fresh loaf of bread

Chop onions and garlic and fry in oil till cooked ( you can now puree them to mush if you like or havent finely chopped them ) peel pumkin/squash and remove seeds, chop remaining squash into 1-2inch peices and place in pot with enough water to just cover ( or if your like me in the slow cooker /crockpot with about 1/4 the water you would need to boil it) and boil till soft, drain off excess ( about 70% of total water volume ) water and crumble your stock cubes into the pot, re add onions and garlic, mash till thick soup like consistancy is reached adding back in the cooking water as you need it to make it as thin as you like. serve with fresh bread

does that make sense to everyone lol, please feel free to add your own recipes

sausage casserole that i chucked together the otherday

3 tins of chopped tomoatos
1 x yellow pepper (could be any colour)
2 x small carrots
1 x onion
garlic to taste - I love lots
mixed herbs
12 sausages (I got some good quality ones
tomato puree
Ketchup
worcestershire sauce

You could add mushrooms, celery any veggie - its just what I had.

Dice the onions and crush the garlic. Cook the onions and garlic until soft and brown the sausages. Slice the carrots and dice the pepper.

Put the tins of chopped tomatoes to a slow cooker, followed by the sausages and onions, garlic, peppers, carrots. Cooking on a low heat just below simmering. Added mixed herbs, a good squirt tom puree and ketchup and worcestershire sauce.

Keep cooking on a low heat until the carrots have gone soft and the water from the toms has reduced. I cooked mine for 3 hours and it was yummy.

I served with mash

ETA it served 3 adults, my 3 year old and Leo

A friend gave me this one:

Steam 1 butternut squash and 1 large sweet potato,

Heat a tin of baked beans,

Once hot add the cooked squash n potato and add grated cheese. You can also had mixed herbs.

Viola!!!!!!

If you dont mind packet mixes....

1 packet of colmans chicken casserole mix
diced chicken
diced potato
a tin of beans

Cook the chicken untill brown,
Make up the packet mix, and chuck everything into a casserole dish. Put on a medium/hot heat (i use gas mark 6) and cook untill the potato is soft.

Add veggies to your preference :)

I quite often make this soup in the winter aswell...

1 bacon joint, cooked or uncooked.
lentils
onion
carrots
leek
swede
potato

I put the bacon joint in a pot and boil the water and let it simmer for about half an hour.
Then take the joint out and strip the meat off the bone and put it into the pot.
Add all the veg and bring back to the boil then simmer for another half hour.
Then add the lentils and just slow cook untill ready to eat :D

This one is a favourite of ours. Tastes way better than the recipe looks.

1/2 cup brown rice (can use bit more)
1 tin of brown lentils - 410 g
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1.5 cups mushrooms, chopped
14 oz can of tomatoes
1/2 tsp dill seeds (optional - I usually use Italian seasoning or similar and omit thyme in that case)
1/2 tsp thyme
2 tbsps soy sauce
1 egg beaten
1 cup cheddar cheese grated

cover rice with water and cook for 10-15 minutes - don't fully cook. Mix celery, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, spices, soy sauce and egg in large bowl or if you're saving on washing up, the casserole dish. Then stir in rice and lentils and mix.

Cook for 45 minutes at 350 F. Remove from oven and sprinkle cheese on and then cook for another 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

If you forget and put the cheese on right away, like I always do, it still tastes good.

Veg soup- (add meat if you want!! i love lamb in mine!)

-any veg you have laying about!
-garlic
-freash thyme
-veg stock
-onion
-optionial meat!

Chop everything up and chuck in a pan cover with water and boil untill everything is soft and water has reduced. Blitz up and enjoy!! So simple but really tasty!!

Thai curry

- chicken breast/ fresh prawns
-coconut milk
-mushrooms
- red/green thai paste
-lemongrass

Dice the chicken and slice the mushrooms, cook until brown then add some thai paste amount depending on taste! Cook untill chicken is coated and add coconut milk and lemon grass. Cook slowly until lemongrass has infused the sauce.. serve with rice and its yummy!!!

veggy pasta

-any pasta
-broccoli
-mushrooms
-onions
- courgettes
-peppers (i hate them so dont use them!)
- fresh basil
-garlic
-dried oregano
- tomato puree
-tinned tomatoes

Chop all the veg and fry together with garlic and oregano (i dont use oil and use water!) once softened add tomoatoes and puree and cook until pasta is ready. Add fresh basil before serving. Perfect with grated cheese on!! (and if LO's dont like carrots grate them in it hides them!)

I will be back later with more ive gotta go and cook logans tea now!

Chicken Curry
2-3 chicken breasts diced
1 onion diced
1 apple diced
1 Tin of chopped tomatoes
tablespoon Branston Pickle
curry powder to taste

Put all ingredients into a saucepan & bring to boil. Turn heat right down & put lid on for 20 min. Take lid off & turn heat up to thicken sauce. Serve with rice.

Cream cheese & chive soup - tastes much better than it sounds lol

1 Onion - chopped into small pieces
Handful of chives & corriander again chopped into small bits
1 pint of veg stock, or 1 stock cube made up to a pint

Boil all these together until the onion is nice and soft then take off the heat and put through a sieve squashing all the 'solid' bits through & then put back onto the heat

Add 500g of cream cheese - philidelphia is yummy! and mix in until it has melted
Then in a mug mix a tablespoon of cornflour with a tablespoon of milk and add to the soup to thicken it up a little

Then enjoy with some nice crispy bread (homemade is best!) - yum yum, now I'm hungry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->