Got told gender today but having doubts?

pradabooties

Reaction score
Hi all,

This might sound a bit silly but today we were told we are expecting a girl! Obviously very exciting but all along I've felt extremely strongly that I was expecting a boy, so it was quite a massive surprise. I'm 19 weeks so I went in assuming what they say would be extremely accurate.

After we announced the gender tonight I received a few comments from people saying they knew people who had been told girl by a scan technician then on delivery day had a boy. I didn't say anything about thinking it was a boy to start with so their comments were unprovoked and have got me thinking all over again. So now I'm sort of half back to wondering what it is and if the scan tech got it wrong!

Have you been told the wrong gender at a scan? And here in Australia I'm quite sure this was my last scan unless something, God forbid, is looking wrong in the 3rd trimester. So I'm a bit worried now I will feel this uncertainty and hesitate to start planning the nursery etc the whole time? Do any Aus girls know of elective ultrasound places?

Which part of Australia, I moved from Fremantle to the western suburbs of Melbourne and have had scans in both?

I have heard the same thing, including that they're really only sure if it's an obvious boy. Although I heard about the three marginal lines for a girl? Do you have pic? Did they get a good potty shot?

It does happen hun they can get the gender wrong my brothers mate was told boy and they gave birth to a little girl!! They had a big shock lol on the other hand though you cant really be sure by a strong feeling, my SIL was adamant she was having a boy, she said she knew it was a boy she could feel it, she had a girl. Same goes for my best friend, all the way through her pregnancy said it was a boy and even bought blue (just on a feeling that she knew) well she was wrong too and she had a little girl!

I was absolutely adamant this one was blue. I would say him and he when talking about my bump, I had all my son's clothes out of the attic and washed in wardrobe ready for him. Huge shock when told pink.

I think they sound cautious at scan when predicting girl as its not as obvious. With a boy there's definite tackle to identify. Sometimes mistaken for cord but generally it's easier to see boy then girl. My lb no doubt boy on scan he flaunted it clearly. Our LG she had legs wide to see and there was definitely no tackle there and still our tech was cautious about saying girl

I agree wit the pp, they seem to be more cautious saying girl than boy. My OB said 80% girl and she said the same thing to my friend who had a girl. Post a pic if you can!

It can happen but it is pretty rare, if I had to bet money, I'd say you are having a girl.

Nope, no scan shot I can show you all - that's another thing about the appointment I'm a bit bothered about... same place we had our 13 week scan but this time around they gave us a student technician (non optional, we didn't get a choice) and she took almost 2 hours to complete the scan and the disc she gave us has hardly any shots on it.

And no "keepsake" shots of the baby - none whatsoever you can see the face or full profile. I know it tends to be a longer scan but I would've at least wanted a few good photos to cherish from it. It's a bit upsetting because I was told this was the last scan before delivery in 20 weeks - so my only keepsake scan shots are from when bub was 13 weeks!

I've emailed the centre with my feedback and asked if I can pay for an additional scan - more for the reason of feeling we missed out on photos than the gender question. But would be good to double check that too because I don't really trust this student technician!

In response to what the "potty shot" scan looked like on the screen though, there was no visible "nub" but also couldn't see 3 lines. I'm sure I really should just trust it and believe her judgement, I think just the disappointment of the way she handled the scanning in general has put a cloud of disbelief over me lol

That sucks you didn't get a nice pic to take home :( I'd be trying to get another scan, even a private one, too.

Yeah I did look into private scans but from what I can see where I live you can't even have a private expensive scan without a doctors referral - which I can't get because according to my midwives this should've been my last scan. I'm just hoping the centre gets back to me saying I can do it again!

Such a bummer for you Prada! :(

I would be very interested to hear what the clinic says in response to your feedback. Your scan experience doesn't sound acceptable to me. We went to the same place (private) for our nuchal and anatomy scans. My obs refers all her patients to this particular place and we got everything (over 100 pics and full video recording of scan). Of course, we had to pay over $300 for that.

I'm so sorry you didn't get any special photos. I'd be kicking up a stink and rebooking it either at the same place or somewhere else (if you can at all). :hugs:

In my experience the 'boyness' was VERY obvious with both pregnancies. Perhaps I have little showoffs.

Thats frustrating you haven't had a good scan and no picture either. I agree with above though, in my experience boy bits are very noticeable on scans. My first was a boy and sonographer confirmed this showing us on screen. This time around its a girl (confirmed first by Harmony test) but just to check (as if blood test wasn't confirmation enough lol!) we asked the sonographer at the 20 week scan to show us her 'bits' and I could see clearly the difference. I would say you are having a girl but of course mistakes can happen.

Can you not get a 4d scan private where you are? I wouldn't imagine youd need to be referred for that? Not sure when you can book 4d from. I think if I get told I'm expecting a girl I'll have doubts like you. I have heard of sonographers saying girl and then it being a boy, but it's very rare...I've heard of many many people being convinced of the gender and being totally and utterly wrong.

I've got a gender scan when I'm 16 weeks, if they say girl I'll be doubting they've got it right.

Thanks ladies. I am very disappointed about the experience, so I'm glad to hear you all agree it wasn't great - I started to wonder if it was my hormones overreacting!
I emailed the centre and they replied saying they had passed my query onto the manager of medical imaging and I should expect a response soon. The centre's at the hospital I will give birth and the first scan I had there was really great so if they will allow me to elect to have another I may do that.

However I also found a place in my town called Miracle Me that do 3d/4d scans and you come away with a DVD recording + photos for about $150 - plus they check gender. I'm thinking of doing that in time for Fathers Day for SO (which is in September in Aus)

Thanks ladies. I am very disappointed about the experience, so I'm glad to hear you all agree it wasn't great - I started to wonder if it was my hormones overreacting!
I emailed the centre and they replied saying they had passed my query onto the manager of medical imaging and I should expect a response soon. The centre's at the hospital I will give birth and the first scan I had there was really great so if they will allow me to elect to have another I may do that.

However I also found a place in my town called Miracle Me that do 3d/4d scans and you come away with a DVD recording + photos for about $150 - plus they check gender. I'm thinking of doing that in time for Fathers Day for SO (which is in September in Aus)

Hi Prada,

I went to Miracle Me for a private gender scan at 16weeks and they were amazing. I also went to Precious Previews at 27weeks just for some keepsake photos/disc and they were also good! Happy with both xx

Prada, that definitely sounds like a good plan. :thumbup:

Thanks for the father's day reminder!

Yeah you can book a private scan here in Australia. Depends on where you are though. I have a friend that was told girl several times but 2 weeks before giving birth she had an emergency scan and was told boy. And he is a boy lol I'm sure they got it right but if you want to double check see if you can get a private scan :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->