Grandmothers on mothers day...am i being silly?

Since having DS I've bought grandmother cards for my mum and mil. They are both fantastic though and adore my two littlies (and vice versa) and are really supportive. In a different situation I might make a decision to forgo cards but it works for us.

We do mothers only but we all sign our name on the cards for mine and OHs mum

This! I buy a card for my Mum and for MIL which hubby fills out. We write all our names on it and usually put a voucher in each.

I usually get a card from my Mum which I find a bit weird! :wacko:

I have been brought up to honour the Mothers in my family. That includes my Grandma. Millie will be raised exactly the same.

My mum would be devestated if Millie didn't get her a card.

We sign all cards from all of us. To me that makes sense. So even with mil I'll put all of us. (These will b the first cards with ds2 on them!) I make sure they both have a little something too. I'm the one that organises these things tho not oh. I'm not fussed that's just how our relationship works. :)

We do not do cards for grandparents on mother or father's day. I am their mother and dh is their father - not the grandparents. They are all fantastic grandparents but they are not the children's parents. I would be gutted if dh got a card for his mum from the boys. She is a wonderful grandma but she isn't the one watching after them 24/7, entertaining them, teaching them, looking after them when they are sick etc etc. It's a completely different relationship.
We also don't sign cards from all of us. Dh will send his mum a card. My mum died a couple of years ago and I would actually feel disloyal if I signed my MIL's card - she is not my mother and I would feel that it did not acknowledge all that my mother was to me.

Thank you ladies. I totally would not be adversed if she was here all the time and understood just exactly what we go through, then yeah, maybe I'd take my hat off to her if she could do the same. But she doesn't have the foggiest.

Hubby backed down again and said it's ok, he understands now and he didn't before. What's strange is that he's never really sent them Mother's Day / birthday etc etc cards, so why now, on Mother's Day , on behalf of the girls :grr:
I told him to pick one tomorrow. He gets all awkward about it. Like , probably embarrised. :wacko: but it was ok to send your appreciation through my offspring?!?! Sigh!! He's being a guy about it :dohh:

Nope, unless there was no one to give her a card that's what her kids are for. This is something card companies made up.

My mum is the most amazing Grandma to Louis & Alex - but I don't buy her a card from the boys for Mother's Day as she's not their mother, nor would she expect one. She gets one from me as her daughter.

There is a separate Grandparents Day, to be fair. and she's not their mother.

My mom and his each get a card, and will be from us as a family, but won't refer to either of our moms as "grandma."

I have to admit, even though I'm not a huge fan of Mother's Day, I'd be upset if my husband had gotten that card first before one for me. And I love my MIL, she's a wonderful sweet woman - but she's not the mother of my child.

I never really thought about it but your right. I always give my grandma a mothers day card as she was like a second mum growing up. I always now make a card with lo for both sides for mothers day and we all sign

We bought one for MIL cause she gets one off her other grand kids and it saves arguments but my mum always says not too bother, so one for MIL and one for OHs nan (for the same reason as MIL)

I don't buy my Nan a card or anything but that's just because we don't get along.. She still expects a card but just doesn't get one lol her excuse is she is my grandmother so is still classed as a mother as it's in the name haha.. My own mother on the other hand sometimes we do get her a card from the kids sometimes we don't as I do think my nan kind of has a valid point but it's no big deal if we don't xx

My Nan isn't alive anymore but we always got her a card on Mothers day because she was another mother figure to me, I saw her all the time. My grandma I lived with until I was 5/6 and I'm extremely close to, so I definitely always get her a card and some flowers.

We do cards and presents for grandma's....girls both make cards, one from the shop and a small gift. Then a card and gift from me and hub to our mummy's!

Of course, cards and gifts for me ;)

My mum will be getting a card (when V is around), as she does from her other grandkids, but I will string my husband up if he thinks his mother is getting one :thumbup: :haha:

Nope - for one day I'm gonna be selfish! I'd feel exactly the same as you AP in that situation so don't feel bad.

I get a card and a little something from Lucas for my Mum (we usually bake something). She's a huge part of his life and it'd feel weird to me not to honour that. I'm not that arsed about Mother's Day though, to me it's still about spoiling my Mum rather than being spoilt because, well, as a single parent to a little one there's no such thing :lol:
If it was for a grandparent that had little part of his life I might find it a bit strange.

We never got anything for our grandmas on mothers day. The first mothers day after i had my oldest we got my mum a card from her but she was like it gets a bit silly so now we don't. I sign the card to my mum from all of us, as does oh for his mum.

Never gave either grandparents mothers day or fathers day cards. Think its quite strange actually!

I am completely with you and i probably sound like a total bitch but, the girls Grandparents only ever get the good, they don't get the screaming tantrums, the twice a week stomach problems Evelyn has, they don't deal with the financial issues, the late nights, the all nighters, they didn't spend 10 months barely sleeping because Ivy could only sleep in my arm, they didn't deal with the 3 bouts of croup, bronchitis, dislocated arm and constant other sickness.
Any day they get the girls to me is their Grandparents day because they have the best time, they get the laughs and the cuddles.
So for me Mothers day is just for Mothers, i get my Mum a card and a present, MIL gets one and i do.
I've never done the grandparent card thing.

God how much of a bitch am i :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->