Grandmothers on mothers day...am i being silly?

Not at all. I don't think its a reflection on the people they are but more what the day is intended for. I think everyone has their own interpretations and does their own things.

We have got nana and nanny cards from the girls. Mothers day always seems like something children do to appreciate 'motherly' figures in their lives. Everyone does it differently so do what works for you. x

I'm such a cow lol.

Not a cow at all. I don't spend mothers day with my mum since having kids - i love her to death but the one time i did it was like i didn't have a child at all, she got really pissy with me because i wanted to sit down for a cup of tea instead of waiting on her...it'll be a while before i spend it with her again!

I just rang my mam and asked if I can see her on Saturday instead of Sunday, and told her that the kids want to do some baking with me on Sunday and spend some quality time with me on Mother's day...

Her response was no - she's seeing her fiancé on Saturday daytime and then going out with her friend in the evening.

So she's insisting we go to her house on Sunday as originally planned. "Besides, I'm YOUR mother, and I'm special too. You should want to see ME on Mother's Day", was her response.

:(

Yes, mam, you ARE special... but apparently I'm not? :(

Alice-thats rubbish :( does she live far away? Could you pop round for an hour or so? Then spend the rest of the day at home with your children baking and doing what you want to do :)

AHH mothers day, just another date in the calendar to get people to spend a bit of money..
I get what its all about etc. but just like valentines day, do we really need that one day where we show the person we care & love them...
Anyway to the point..
When i was younger i always got my mum a card and all my grandmothers/nans.
Same as fathers day.. i dont know why, but i did. i now just wish my grandparents happy mothers/fathers day rather than get a card!!
I do celebrate mothers/fathers day for my parents, but if it was up to me, i dont think id have my kids bother for me.. id rather them show their appreciation every day if im honest! Im feeling like i should take my mum out for mothers day, but then id also have to invite my dad and sister, i couldnt leave them out, but i cant afford dinner for 5 lol! maybe just a card and flowers or something

My mum is truly an amazing nanny but she won't get a special card from the kids.

We do similar to others in that we buy one card for mum / mil and all sign it.

Although last year OH signed mil card just from him and Dylan. I was a bit upset that he forgot me and then of course MIL made a big point of 'where's YOUR card' to me. Ugh

Oh and this year I've booked my mum onto a cupcake decorating class and mil got a new pin cushion. It's been commented that we're spending nearly x10 more on my mum, but to be honest she gives us three days a week of childcare and so much support. MIL complains at us.. Lol

i hate all these manifactured days, like valentines and mothers day! however, i go along with it, im an only child so like alice all focus on my mum, to be fair im not fussed, but i do understand how annoying it could be.

again like someone else, we tend to do lots of cards, so my mum, hubbys mum, my nana, and three friends, two life long family friends who dont have kids of their own and i wouldnt want them feeling left out, and this year i got onr for a neighbour from the kids as we sometimes watches the twins when i get sam from nursery (hes has asd and can be difficult).

i only get gifts for the mums and my nana.

i end up getting and doing for his mum, which annoys me. also i know this year (this never happens) got me something from lush, but said, "well i had to or you would freak out" which might be mu hormones but really hurt, id really rather he hadnt bothered.

anyway, i dont like mothers day, but another day to feel forced to spend and make effort, i hate cooking and the pressure of making a special meal is stressful.

I just rang my mam and asked if I can see her on Saturday instead of Sunday, and told her that the kids want to do some baking with me on Sunday and spend some quality time with me on Mother's day...

Her response was no - she's seeing her fiancé on Saturday daytime and then going out with her friend in the evening.

So she's insisting we go to her house on Sunday as originally planned. "Besides, I'm YOUR mother, and I'm special too. You should want to see ME on Mother's Day", was her response.

I'd just compromise it, regardless of what she wants. Go to visit either at her house for lunch, or to the park as she had mentioned, but the rest of the day with your family. I think I would have had to counter back with Yes, but I'm THEIR mother, am I not special too to have time to spend with THEM? Sorry she's being so difficult about it; that's frustrating!

I'd just compromise it, regardless of what she wants. Go to visit either at her house for lunch, or to the park as she had mentioned, but the rest of the day with your family. I think I would have had to counter back with Yes, but I'm THEIR mother, am I not special too to have time to spend with THEM? Sorry she's being so difficult about it; that's frustrating!

I can't really cos she lives an hour away. basically we go straight after lunch, and get back in time for the kids to eat tea, have a bath, and go to bed. that's the whole day done really.

and we can't see her FOR lunch cos she always makes things that the kids hate - like boiled liver.

Honestly Alice, i'd draw a line, drop her stuff of Saturday and say this year you'd like a day at home, she could always travel to you. I know its Mothers Day and shes your Mother but you deserve a nice day too.
xx

Rubbish :( is there anywhere nice on the way/close that you would want to do with your kids? How much hassle would it cause if you just turned around and said "mum, you're important, you'll always be important and you'll always be my mum, but this year, my kids mum is coming first" my mum (LOs granny) lives 3 hours away, my LOs grandma is two. My mum gets that she won't see me, but I'll call and send a card. FOB usually has LO at weekends, and had planned to go see his mum this weekend (apparently forgot I'd want to see my child!) But his mum said it was more important for LO to be with me, so she's staying with me sunday. I know its easier said than done, but I'd be tempted to tell her straight that her status as a mother is no more important than yours! It's not like you haven't tried! Sorry its so difficult for you :(

I'd just say you'd rather stay at home with the kiddies. It's one day we don't really think of throughout the rest of the year, hopefully she will get over it quick

thanks girls. I feel like I'm being a cow though. I have no siblings so it's not as though somebody else can see her for mother's day.

I might see what hubby says to me, him, and the kids going out for a meal tomorrow evening or something. I'm going to church though (my church is 5.30-6.30pm saturday evenings only) and I can't miss it cos it's Nathan's Christening next weekend and I don't want the priest to wonder where I am, but maybe after church.

Then at least we're doing something for "me" for an early mother's day thing.

I don't think I'd mind so much, but it's kind of a double whammy, because the kids and DH have ordered me a family ring for a mother's day present, but it won't be ready for about another fortnight, so I'm getting nothing on the actual day (not even a card, cos the ring was expensive [well £54.99 but thats a lot to me] so we agreed no cards), plus it's DH's and my 9th wedding anniversary on Wednesday, but as nobody can babysit (not any day this week), we're doing sod all for our anniversary either.

So I'm feeling generally kind of grumpy about it all!

First world problems really though, there are people in much worse situations. Objectively I have no right to complain. Subjectively though I'm feeling sorry for myself.

thanks girls. I feel like I'm being a cow though. I have no siblings so it's not as though somebody else can see her for mother's day.

I might see what hubby says to me, him, and the kids going out for a meal tomorrow evening or something. I'm going to church though (my church is 5.30-6.30pm saturday evenings only) and I can't miss it cos it's Nathan's Christening next weekend and I don't want the priest to wonder where I am, but maybe after church.

I don't think I'd mind so much, but it's kind of a double whammy, because the kids and DH have ordered me a family ring for a mother's day present, but it won't be ready for about another fortnight, so I'm getting nothing on the actual day (not even a card, cos the ring was expensive [well £54.99 but thats a lot to me] so we agreed no cards), plus it's DH's and my 9th wedding anniversary on Wednesday, but as nobody can babysit (not any day this week), we're doing sod all for our anniversary either.

First world problems really though, there are people in much worse situations. Objectively I have no right to complain. Subjectively though I'm feeling sorry for myself.

Don't play down.. It's important to you and your feelings defo matter. I would b a little upset too.
I hope I can get something sorted and you can enjoy the next couple of weekends. Did u say ur youngest is getting christened next weekend? At least u have that day to enjoy?

Don't play down.. It's important to you and your feelings defo matter. I would b a little upset too.
I hope I can get something sorted and you can enjoy the next couple of weekends. Did u say ur youngest is getting christened next weekend? At least u have that day to enjoy?

Yeah a week on Sunday (6th April). You're right, I'm looking forward to that, it'll be nice.

We've bought presents for our own mums but not from the babies. I refuse to share any mothers day attention from them with anyone else lol.
I used to work in a card shop and you could get mothers day cards addressed to grandma's, aunts and stepmums and ones 'from the cat/dog'!. There is also a grandparents day later in the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->