Group B Streptococcus

loriemmily

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this? It is worrying me so muc, I was told today...

It's good that you know! They will put you onto IV antibiotics from when your labour starts / your waters break and this will stop your baby from getting ill.

Of the mums that have StepB, very few babies contract the bacteria during pregnancy and childbirth and even fewer get a serious infection from it.

You'll be fine hunni x Try not to worry :hugs:

Is it common? Bdcause I dont know anybody who has had it, or maybe people around me just dont say..?

I've got it too. My doc said that instead of getting to wait around at home after I go into labor I have to go in right away to get the 3 rounds of IV antibiotics. I was going to try to avoid having an IV, but I guess now I'll HAVE to have it. Sucks, but apparently 1 in 3 people have it. Pretty common.

Yup it's common.

The only really bumming thing about it is you have to be hooked up to an IV throughout your labout - leaving very little room to move about or experiment with birthing positions...

Both you and the bubs will be fine, though x

It's easy to treat. I've been told they induce you so you have 3 or 4 loads of antibiotics (that doesn't sound right LOL)

Treatment

Treatment is given if you test positive for group B strep. It may also be given if you have not been tested but you have risk factors. Either way, treatment is not given until labor begins. Group B strep can return after treatment, so IV antibiotics are started during labor. This should not affect the course of labor. After the birth, your baby will be observed in the hospital for 24 to 48 hours. This is to make sure that he or she has not been infected. Your baby’s blood may also be tested.

When to Call Your Baby’s Healthcare Provider

In newborns, most cases of group B strep infection are detected before the mother and baby go home. But in very rare cases, a late-onset infection can occur. Call your baby’s healthcare provider right away if your baby:

* Has a low or high temperature.
* Is refusing to feed.
* Appears stressed or is fussy and can’t be calmed.
* Has breathing difficulties.
* Has a rapid, extremely low, or irregular heart rate.

Is it common? Bdcause I dont know anybody who has had it, or maybe people around me just dont say..?

Its not routine to be tested in the UK so I don't think a lot of people know they have it.

xxx

I was tested yesterday and find out next week. It's very common and easily treatable so it's a good thing you know ahead of time. Like everyone else has said, it just requires antibiotics during labor. :hug:

It is pretty common and it's good that you and your doctors know that you have it, they will give you antibiotics during labor to help prevent it from passing onto the baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->