Had my first braxton hicks today! Scary!

Star7890

New mummy
Reaction score
Was waddling around at work and felt this feeling in my bump, it wasn't completely painless- a few twinges and then my whole bump went rock hard and sucked up! Like it had completley contracted..

These are braxton hicks arent they? Ive had them a couple of times since...

It scares me that my bodies preparing for labour! :wacko:

xxx

I had my first 2 last night! What u describe sounds exactly the same as what i had. Not totally pain free, then my tummy went rock hard. Im pretty sure we are having braxton hicks

Its scary! But I think as long as they are irregular and you dont have more than 4-5 in one hour then its not a problem xxxx

I never noticed them with my first PG. I thought DD was just sticking her bum out but then someone pointed out it was BH. I never felt any discomfort though. And when I went to hospital to have my blood pressure monitored about a week before she was born, they were also monitoring my tummy. The MW made a comment like 'Ooh, won't be long now, you're having lots of practice contractions'. I was like 'Really??'. Couldn't feel a thing.

I was all prepared for them this time as I'd heard they can be more intense with second PG's, but so far nothing. Either I'm very lucky or will have them all to come later on.

I've been having them too, starting a couple of weeks ago! Exactly as you describe xx

im 34 weeks and not had any that i know of my tum goes hard sometimes but not all of it????x

Some people have them from as early as 15/16 weeks and some dont have them at all! I dont think they are an issue if you dont have them xx

yes that definitely sounds like bh - very odd aren't they xxx

You get them from the day you find i bleve? altho most r unaware lol. i had my first ones with this baby at 17 n r exactly as u described, sumtimes takes my breath away. I had them very regularly wiv my DS from 30 weeks and mw monitored me n fort i was in labour hehe but i wasnt lol

I had them for a day and a half at 21.5 weeks. I was so concerned I went to L&D and they monitored me for about an hour, checked my cervix, sent me home. They stopped a few hours later.

It was scary, but good to know my body is getting ready... just hope the real thing isn't for at least 12 more weeks!

Sounds like it. They're normal and even good, unless you have more than (all the books say) 4 in an hour. My hospital told me more than 6 in an hour. Also note if they last a while or are regular. Those aren't the best. You can probably stop them by drinking plenty of water, putting your feet up, and emptying your bladder.

Unless they get frequent and regular, though, don't worry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->