HB'ing, but do I pack a hospital bag???

kellyb

Reaction score
Well, we've done it! My husband and I have committed to a homebirth, and we're so excited about it. We were originally going to give birth in an in-hospital birthing center, but when the midwives there started to act like your typical docs, forcing things on us, we changed our minds--yes, at 7+ months along. Anyhow, I wanted to know--For all you homebirthers out there...are you packing a mini hospital bag, just in case?

Yes because having everything together in one place will be useful for the homebirth midwives also, and then if you did have to transfer to hospital, you've removed one lot of stress. I haven't packed much - I don't live in the jungle, there are shops some of which are open 24/7 in the vicinity - some people in 3rd tri seem to pack just about everything they own, but I have put together a bag for baby with nappies, a couple of vests, a couple of sleepsuits, a hat, cotton wool and nappy bags, and put together a bag for me with some toiletries, pjs, breastfeeding bras, breast pads and maternity pads, just in case.

Yes i've packed a "birth bag" which will be useful even if we get our homebirth as it will mean everything we need immediately after the birth is in one place :thumbup:

It just has the basics in it- e.g. my maternity notes, clean pjs and underwear for me and a pack of maternity pads, some lansinoh and a handful of breastpads, and for baby a couple of outfits (different sizes), a handful of nappies, a blanket, hat, bib and mittens.

If we do need to transfer and have to stay in hospital for any length of time OH will need to fetch us more things in anyway but hopefully that won't happen.

Good luck, hope you get the birth experience you want :flower:

Like the others who have replied I have packed a small bag with just the basics in it.

The baby has a vest and sleepsuit in 2 different sizes, mittens, 2 x bibs, nappies, cotton wool, wipes and a blanket.

I have a buttoned nighty, a pair of pj bottoms, 2 x nursing bras, breast pads, knickers, maternity pads and a small selection of basic toiletries.

This bag will be useful if baby is born at home as all bits will be together but can be grabbed in a second if we do need to go to hospital. I also hope that if we go to hospital we would come home very quickly and won't need much stuff but if we need more my husband will be able to bring it to us!!

Yes, I packed a full bag just in case - which I did need as I ended up being transferred in and having a c-section.

I will this time as I didn't last time and did transfer. I remember my mom, me and husband trying to get everything packed while I labored. I'm sure it was quite funny.

I'm planning to pack a box of everything I'll need for whichever birth happens. this could loosely be called a hospital bag but it sounds a lot more positive to call it a general box of baby crap hehe. Most things I'll need whatever happens so will be good to have it all in the same place at least

Yes, anything can happen. I plan on a water birth in a birthing center, but will have that in case.It's just smart. Good luck!

Ok, so the consensus is in...Pack a bag! I will be doing it shortly. Thanks so much everyone for all your help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->