Headbanging!!

binxyboo

Reaction score
so Daniel is 17 months now, and for the past couple of months he has started head-banging!
If he gets told not to do something he kneels down, bangs his head on the floor 2 or 3 times, cries, then asks for a cuddle!
If he gets annoyed because his toys won't do what he wants them to do, he kneels on the floor, bangs his head 2 or 3 times... you get the picture!!

I completely understand that it probably stems from frustration, but is it more common that I think?
anyone else's toddlers do this? or other 'self-destructive' behaviour?
Do they grow out of it?
And what is the best way to handle it? (especially when we are out in public!!!)

my 19 month old boy will do this if things don't go his way. he'll either try and headbutt me or the floor or whatever he can hit it off. all i can do is try and calm him down and explain that it's not a good idea and stop him from hurting himself. i'm hoping he'll grow out of it especially when he starts talking which at 19 months is still not doing and must be very frustrating for him.

My LO did this for ages - five or six months I think. Every time he was asked to stop doing something, or if he got upset or cross for any reason, he'd either run to the wall or door and bang his head against it, or would fall flat on the floor and do it there. He used to have bruises frequently on the middle of his forehead :wacko:

If we tried to make him stop, he'd get much worse. We found telling him what was going on in simple terms helped - i.e. "I know you're feeling really sad and cross because I took the remote away from you/stopped you turning the oven on/didn't let you stick your fingers in the socket etc, and that's why you're banging your head" and then distracting him by doing something else.

I know it's horrible to watch, but they do grow out of it xx

Aiden does it in temperand fun... he thinks it funny, but also if i tell him no in a serious note he does it... then cries!!!! xx

yes, Ruby did this when she was angry. She would bang her head on the door or coffee tabble...it did last a few months but she doesn't do it now...it's common. I found ignoring it completly worked x

My guy does this for fun. We have a glass cover on our fireplace and he's constantly bonking his head on it. He also takes the top off his drum and bonks it on his head. It's hard not to laugh. He seems to do it to get the feeling, or the sound out of it, I'm not sure. I just tell him no, he seems to understand he shouldn't do the fireplace, but if he wants to run around bonking his head on the drum (which is plastic), then go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->