Hello babies! - IAB's weekly threads. D days and newborns :)

She's lovely IAB! And thank you for sharing your story, it sounds like you had a very eventful delivery. Glad you're both doing so well.

And thank you to you other ladies for your discussions on breastfeeding. Its really helpful and encouraging to see how new mums are getting on. I think I might of learned more from your posts than anywhere else :)

How are you getting on Sunshine and Oddori? Any progress?

Aww beautiful IAB! Xx
I am getting on ok with bf, something I learnt from my girl is to not be afraid to break the suction if baby doesn't latch on properly! I squirmed my way through feeding my girl sometimes and feel I could have breastfed longer if I knew how to re latch her. The midwife should show you but basically you slide your finger by baby's mouth so it breaks the suction. Nipple cream and breast pads have really helped so my nipples don't rub against my clothes. I have had to get size up in bras too. I have bought strapless and wear strapless vest tops so whatever top I have over the top I just lift up and pull my vest and bra down for feeding, your mostly covered then too. I refused to buy maternity bras and vests coz they were too expensive!
Also make sure you have plenty of nurofen or something similar. My after pains were so bad, basically when your stomach contracts, especially when breastfeeding it can feel like the early stages of getting contractions. It is worse with each pregnancy. Thankfully they have subsided for me now!

Nothing to report Vixx. Hopefully Oddori has some more positive news (sounded like she was making progress the other day so FX she is in labour as we speak!) How you feeling? x

She's GORGEOUS IAB! <3

Vixx, Sunshine, Oddori... *sprinkles labor dust for all of you* ...hope you meet your LO's very soon!

Have any of you gone back on things you thought you wouldn't do?

I'm seriously considering co-sleeping -- trying to decide whether bed-sharing is for us or not, but I've bought a co-sleeper pack-n-play style bassinet. The bassinet I borrowed from my sister and brother in law is like a moses basket, and I can't see through it, so I was constantly getting up to look inside whether or not he made noise. DH is a light sleeper, so I've been sleeping on the couch with Derek in his pack-n-play so I can see through the mesh, but it will be nice to have something more portable next to our spare bed in the spare bedroom so that I can sleep in a bed again. I've been reading about bed-sharing though and wondering if it's okay or not. I used to swear I'd never consider it for fear of rolling onto baby, but I'm so sensitive to his every noise and movement.

I'm feeling ok, I seem to keep finding myself with some intense aches and pains that feel like I'm right on the edge of starting labour, and then they fade and leave me swearing and stomping. I'm trying to keep a lid on my paranoia that there might be a problem that's preventing labour from kicking in, but as time ticks by and the pains continue, its proving more difficult. Its probably just my body playing silly buggers as usual :shrug:

Serenity Ive heard a few people saying they feel like that once baby here as you want to constantly know they ok and can totally understand why. I personally wouldnt have baby in our bed for fear of suffocating the baby because me and OH move about loads when sleeping but there are loads of ladies/couples that do and it works fine and those attachment things you get to put at the side of your bed look great as you can be near baby but its not actually in your bed.

Have you considered getting a movement monitor? I bought a monitor that has a mat that goes in moses basket/cot so that if baby stops breathing an alarm goes off. I think it will put my mind at rest (to a degree) to begin with (hopefully!!)

Vixx, Im sure it is just that...paranoia. Your mind starts going overtime doesnt it! Mine does the same. :(

Serenity Ive heard a few people saying they feel like that once baby here as you want to constantly know they ok and can totally understand why. I personally wouldnt have baby in our bed for fear of suffocating the baby because me and OH move about loads when sleeping but there are loads of ladies/couples that do and it works fine and those attachment things you get to put at the side of your bed look great as you can be near baby but its not actually in your bed.

Have you considered getting a movement monitor? I bought a monitor that has a mat that goes in moses basket/cot so that if baby stops breathing an alarm goes off. I think it will put my mind at rest (to a degree) to begin with (hopefully!!)

Vixx, Im sure it is just that...paranoia. Your mind starts going overtime doesnt it! Mine does the same. :(

I only got a regular monitor as I thought it or a video one would cause me to over-focus. Even the regular monitor makes me nervous! I am hoping that the portable crib/co-sleeper thing that attaches to the bed will be enough for me now though -- it seems like a safe compromise. Each night we get through, I get a bit more confident about him being okay, but DH is such a light sleeper that I imagine over the next six months, I will just have to "visit" DH if I want cuddle time with him and sleep in the spare bedroom with Derek in his portable bassinet.

I'm really dreading Sunday, as it is the day Mom goes home.

Also... thanks to my lovely Derek and BFing... I'm a size 10. I haven't been a size 10 since junior high school! My pre-pregnant clothes are too big!!!

Hope you can work it out Serenity! I can't believe how much weight you have lost breastfeeding! I didn't lose any with my girl and doesn't look as though I am this time but maybe I'm over compensating with food, I feel hungry all the time! Xx

Woop woop Serenity. We've also had a great scale day. I am 2lbs heavier than I was the day I found out I was pregnant. I'm well chuffed! Finlay is also doing great. He's regained the weight he lost the first 5 day and put on two more ounces. He must be getting enough milk!

Vixx it's great that we're helping! :)

Woop woop Serenity. We've also had a great scale day. I am 2lbs heavier than I was the day I found out I was pregnant. I'm well chuffed! Finlay is also doing great. He's regained the weight he lost the first 5 day and put on two more ounces. He must be getting enough milk!

Vixx it's great that we're helping! :)

I haven't dared weigh myself yet! I didn't dare look from about 20 weeks onward, and I thought I'd give myself until Gabe made it to four weeks old before I stepped on the scale. I'm finding I am less hungry than I was during pregnancy, perhaps because my fluid intake is way up. I am thirsty all the time, and I can get through a 500 mL water bottle every time I breastfeed.

I think I am going to have to get a manual breast pump tomorrow. The engorgement pain is keeping me from sleeping during the day, and even if I just pump and dump, it will be a massive relief. Will talk to the midwife first and see what she recommends. I'd eventually like to express for OH and the grandparents to do some daytime feeds anyway, and I don't know the first thing about pumps/bottles/sterilizers.

Here are today's brilliant photos - OH in the garden getting Gabe a little dose of sunshine to clear the last of his jaundice, and me with my lukewarm tea and a treat on the couch, just after feeding.

DSCF9214.jpg
DSCF9232.jpg

Bumpy I have the avent manual and electric pumps. Both are pretty comfy to use but I found expressing very slow. My tip with a manual one is once on to hold the lever down and say out loud 1000, 2000, 3000 then release. I started off doing it too quick and flooding the pump. I also bought the nipple shells which allow your breasts to drain a little and for your nipples to get some air. They worked well for me. The trouble with pumping a lot is that your body responds to the demand, so you end up with more milk. Which ever model you choose just make sure that the bottles fit in the steriliser (I have the avent microwave one which comes with a newborn bottle and teat and is super quo k and easy) and if they are compatible with the pump them you can express straight unto the bottle and use it for topping up or freezing. Good luck xx

Wow that weight loss is fab!! How much did you guys put on in the first place if you dont mind me asking. Ive put on around 56 pounds (4 stone) so dont reckon Ill lose it all even if I do breastfeed but would be good to know how much you had added so I know if Im in with a chance of being thin again!!

Bumpy you look great. Ive got one of those wrap things but tried it with a teddy bear and it landed on the floor more than once so bit worried about using it with the baby lol. Is your one just a really long piece of stretchy fabric? The one I have has instructions on how to wrap it but baby doesnt sit to the side, it sits facing you with its legs sticking out bottom. Wonder if I can fold it different so baby sits like it is in the photo with your OH? Im puzzled by it!

I put only about 14 lbs on... I lost a bit of weight during my pregnancy. I had a gastric bypass in 2007, and apparently it's not uncommon for bypass women to lose some weight during pregnancy. I was 180 lbs before I was pregnant, at 5'5" working out for six months with a personal trainer -- my lowest weight while pregnant was around 160 lbs without exercising -- then the day before I delivered I was back to 179 lbs. Two days after delivery, I was 166 lbs. I have no idea what I weigh right now, probably between 150-160 lbs. I have some loose skin -- not just from pregnancy, but from the weight I had pre-op (274 lbs) -- but someday after we're done having babies, I hope to have some work done: tummy tuck, breast lift, and some skin off my thighs.

I have a Monkeywrap. https://www.monkeywear.ca/

Here's how to tie it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBtj6dxW6Qk

NotNic - thanks! I've been doing a little research online this morning and I think a single electric pump, microwave sterilizer, and a starter set of bottles with newborn teats should be what we need. The Avent brand is well reviewed, so will probably pick that up this afternoon. We're going to Mothercare anyway to get a couple more cellular blankets. Almost everyone who has given us blankets has gone for fleecy things that are totally unsuitable for summer, and now Gabe is spitting up a bit after feeds, the two cellular blankets we have are definitely not enough! I really want to start expressing as soon as possible, both for my own relief and so that OH and the soon-to-arrive grandparents can do one of the daytime feeds.

Sunshine - it's a stretchy wrap, like a Moby. The video Serenity posted is the same type. I went to a sling support group a couple of times to learn about carrying options and to practice using mine. It's a bit of trial and error, getting the height and tautness correct. I put Gabe in the first few times while sitting cross-legged in the middle of our bed so he would be safe if he slipped, but it was not an issue at all. I'm not quite to the point where I'd feel comfortable putting him into the wrap directly from his car seat in a parking lot, but would be fine with doing it while sitting in the car myself. We have an Ergo carrier as well but have not tried it yet. Gabe's really very spoiled for choice in terms of transport!

I can't believe a week ago today my labour started. It feels like we've been living with a newborn for much longer than that. :flower:

Thanks girls. Thats the kind of wrap I have too so Ill have a play about once baby here to see what different positions I can put him/her in. x

My NCT girls gave me another tip for expressing. If you pump while feeding you produce more milk and fill up the bottles more quickly. Apparently it takes a bit of practice but worth doing if you're coordinated enough.

Sunshine - I put on c.23lbs. I would like to drop to my pre-ttc weight so would love to shift an extra half a stone, but I had planned to try to get to this weight within 3 months. You'll be surprised how much water weiht you have. I wake up every morning drenched and apparently it's your body getting rid of the excess. If you breast feed you may find that it starts coming off quicker. I'm now wearing pre-pregnancy clothes again though I think I may have to retire any bodycon dresses I have hiding! :haha:

Bumpy - mothercare's sale started today. We got our steriliser for £10 there in their Christmas sale.

Been non-stop the last couple of days- just popping in with a pic of William George born on Monday at 4.03am, weighed in at 7lb 5.5oz and has so much hair! 40 hours since my contractions started, I got stuck half way and was transferred to labour ward to have my waters broken at 11pm sunday night, induction drip was put in an hour later and was given an injection of pethedine to sleep between contractions as I hadn't been asleep since I got up on Saturday morning at 9.30am.

Still functioning on about 4 hours sleep a night now but not even feeling that tired, being with this little miracle is just amazing, he doesnt cry, sleeps most of the day and night and has to be woken up for feeds, he's latching quite well now too and I just feel so lucky to have such an amazing baby :) xx

Attachments

• Photo0577.jpg
    Photo0577.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Photo0582.jpg
    Photo0582.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1
Well my paranoia has been completely cured as after 6 weeks of threatening, my gorgeous girl arrived at 17.37 this evening.

Niamh Anne Atkinson, weighing 8lb 12oz and doing great.

Will post again soon.

Congratulations mcsmyth, he is really lovely and fantastic hair too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->