HELP! Babies weight?

Marzipan_girl

A lioness and her cub
Reaction score
Rory is 4 months now, and is still so teeny! He is in the 9th percentile for his weight now (weighs 12lb) and still in Newborn size clothes. I know this isn't THAT bad, but both me and his dad are very tall...and weighed alot more when we were babies. My brother was a whopping 12lb at birth! Rory was half that at 6lb. I was a chunky 8lb.
The only reason i'm worrying is because I hardly ate anything whilst I was pregnant, and barely gained ANY weight at all. I was very ill by the end and now i'm terrified that i've caused him to be small for the rest of his life, even though 6lb at birth isn't exactly terrible. I just feel that he should be more...considering genetics.
Am I worrying over nothing?
SOoo questions...
1: What was your diet like during pregnancy and how much did LO weigh at birth? Do you think there was a correlation between the two?
2: What percentile was your LO at 4 months??

THANKYOU!!! :flower:

I ate what I ate before pregnancy and Nolan was 7lbs 3ozs at birth and has been right at 50th percentile since then.

All babies grow at their own pace. As long as he is happy and healthy, he should be fine. :hugs:

My daughter was 6 months on 15th of January and was weighed a few days later she was 15lbs 12oz and still wears 0-3 months clothes. She was 5lbs 10oz when she was born and I ate all the time when i was pregnant, so i dont think its anything to do with that. I was 7lbs 4oz and her dad was 8lbs 4oz and i couldn't tell you what percentile she was at 4 months.

Edit: Just checked and according to the website i used she is on the 15 - 25 percentile for her age just now.

I ate like a pig during pregnancy,
She was born at 8lbs, 11oz adn has gained slowly on the 50 centile ever since.
Shes still only in 3-6 months clothes and is very small.
Babies grow at their own rate hun, and aslong as the baby is gaining and not loosing and is happy and healthy he/she will be fine :thumbup:

I had morning sickness til 22 weeks, to the point I could hardly eat anything and what I did eat wouldn't nourish a flea (in terms of keeping it healthy). There was nothing I could do about that. Up until about 26 weeks pregnant I remained the same weight as pre-pregnancy. At around that time I started gaining weight (baby, water etc) and it was around then I regained my appetite, but was still picking at rubbish as was also really tired as had bad insomnia!

So she was born on her due date weighing 7lbs5oz (weighed after a decent feed!). She is and always has been small. At 9 months she is 16lbs6oz and at 4 months she was 12lbs10oz! She wears 6-9 month and 3-6 month clothes.

Some babies are just small. Both of us are tall and both were decent sized babies. I would not worry - he isn't desperately small and wasn't smal birthweight (below 5lbs something is considered small birthweight).

Also, it isn't just what you eat but also the efficiency of your placenta. Remember that your body will ensure the baby's needs are covered before yours, so if you were only eating one meal a day the baby would still be fine but you'd suffer!

I gained 60 lbs during pregnancy and baby was born at 7 lbs 14 oz and left the hospital weighing 7 lbs 4 oz. He's been on the 50 th percentile since birth.

I don't think you need to worry that it's something you've done to cause him to be small. You did everything right and genetics plays the rest. He's the size he's supposed to be. With proper feeding he will grow strong. There may be a nutrition issue or some other reason he's small but it's certainly not because of your pregnancy. There are too many heron addicts, alcoholics, and very sick women that give birth to other wise healthy babies. Small is just small doesn't mean there is an issue.

I'm sure he's just fine hon. Were you honest with the doctor about having an eating disorder when it came to your pregnancy? If I recall correctly (sorry if I did not)..? You might want to get him checked by a pediatrician because of that history just incase.

I ate tons and tons when i was pregnant. Ava was born weighing 7lb 12 oz one week before her due date.
She just turned 4 months on Friday and was weighed the day before and she was 14lb 10oz and in the 76th percentile. If your worried talk to the doctor about it. I dont think you need to worry though.

I had a 9 month long buffet while pregnant and gained about 60 pounds.
Hana was 8lbs 6oz and is now in the 50th percentile for weight.
Talk to your doctor about it, but I'm sure everything is okay. :hugs:

Thought i'd just add, my HV is more than happy with Sophia's weight and wellbeing. She said that they look for babies to have doubled their birth weight by 6 months and Sophia has tripled it so i think its safe to say babies just come in all different shapes and sizes. Also, the size of clothes they wear and weight they are do not relate, all shops are different and have different weights for the same age group.

i ate almost nothing for the duration of my pregnancy.

I lost 2 and a half stone and Gaby was born weighing just over 4lb. She was 14lb at 10 months but since then has put on weighed really quickly and is now 17lb! So she seems to be catching up in her own time.

Me and her dad were both HUGE babies and are very tall. I love my little baby, seems to have had a baby longer IYKWIM.

i ate like a horse when i was preg - there was nothing i wouldnt eat.
i would eat a family size block of cadbury in a sitting, and only stop cos it had run out, not that i was full.
so besides all the food i ate, v was born 7.2 - they were gearing me up for a giant, but turns out my belly was huge from icecream!!
but in regards to your concerns, im sure i've heard quite the opposite - if a mum's preg and isnt eating enough, the baby when born gains weight at a faster rate to make up for it.
am sure your lo will pick up the pace shortly xo

As long as he is on the charts, no matter what percentile, he's in the normal weight range so try not to worry too much.

My cousin was born December 2009 5 pounds flat, and is now 18lbs at 13 months old and he's fine! He's over average height, just long and lean. He reached all his milestones at around the right age, and he's such a smart and wonderful baby. He's only around the 2nd percentile but there is nothing whatsoever wrong with him.

My DH husband was always moaning about how little I ate and when I did what rubbish it was and Amelia was 8lb 12oz at birth.

At 11 weeks I am dressing her in 3/6 month sleepsuits but she is so long, but still fits in some of her 0/3 clothes.

As long as he is gaining weight at a steady rate, in a month or two he could have a huge growth spurt.

I ate a normal amount during pregnancy and I eat the same as I do now. I like healthy foods and didnt eat much sweets or take aways. Amelia was 5lbs 13oz born at 37 weeks and at 4 months she was 12lbs, not too sure what she is now.

I ate a normal amount but had cravings for McDonalds and Icing a lot so ended up eating a fair bit of junk and gained quite a lot of weight. Fin was 7lb 7oz born and at 13 weeks was 16lb 5oz. He's tall though. 98th percentile for length and 91st for height xx

Dont worry, my DD1 - who is now 3 1/2 was 6.6lb when she was born - I dont know what her percentile was/is but she is a petit girl - she always will be - any time i take her to the HV they ALWAYS get out the charts to check her height and weight - she is just above the 'we are worried about them zone' - dont worry about what size clothes they are in, we still have a 9 to 12 month skirt and dress that fit her!!! as long as they are eating and growing - if even a little bit then they are fine. BTW every HV and doc have just said she is fine and is just petit. xx

Ok marzipangirl I just clicked on your fb link (and this is going to make me sound creepy but i'm bored) and out of curiousity clicked on your OHs page and we have 7 mutual friends..what a bloody small world eh?! I grew up in Putney and Fulham, whereabouts are you guys in London? Apologies for the fb stalking though, I seriously need a hobby :rofl:

I ate tons of everything during my pregnancy and barely managed to gain any weight. He was born 5lb 13oz and at 4 months he weighed 10lb 12oz which isn't even on the charts. He's just naturally small.

Ok marzipangirl I just clicked on your fb link (and this is going to make me sound creepy but i'm bored) and out of curiousity clicked on your OHs page and we have 7 mutual friends..what a bloody small world eh?! I grew up in Putney and Fulham, whereabouts are you guys in London? Apologies for the fb stalking though, I seriously need a hobby :rofl:

OMG!!! We're in Barnes!!! That is so weird! Who are the mutual friends? You have to add me!!! :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->