Help me control my super boob!

jessmke

Reaction score
My right boob is a bigger producer than my left, and my milk ejection is out of control on that side. Baby often pops off because the milk is spraying down his throat and causing him to choke. It's fine if we are at home because I just express the milk off until it's no longer spraying like a fire hose, but when we are out of the house and he pops off I have accidentally sprayed strangers, racks of clothes in a department store, etc. It's out of control and I dread feeding him on that side when we are out of the house. I completely soak through nursing pads all the time. My left boob is much more civilized and doesn't leak or spray and my baby much prefers feeding on the left (he almost always only takes one boob per feed). Sometimes after he chokes on the right he gets so upset he won't feed at all and then just cries and cries even if I offer him the left boob. I have thought of feeding him twice on the left, then once on the right to help reduce/control the supply on my right, do you think this would be helpful? Any other tips on how I can regulate my super boob? I know with my daughter my right was a better producer, but I don't remember it being quite so out of control.

I had that problem with both boobs, I did two feeds from each and it really settled them down and we were able to feed for 2 Year’s.

I had that problem with both boobs, I did two feeds from each and it really settled them down and we were able to feed for 2 Year’s.

Do you think I should do two feeds from each side, or just two feeds from my lower producer and then one from my bigger producer, then back to two on the lower again?

Yes maybe try to feed twice on left and less on right to encourage a bit less milk! X

Block feeding (what was recommended above) can be very effective but there is a risk of blocked ducts etc. if a high producing boob goes too long between feeds. It's tricky because the more milk left in the breast the quicker supply will reduce but you don't want mastitis! If you are starting to get too uncomfortable on that side or are worried about blockages, you could maybe feed off that side but limit the time baby is on that side and swap him to the other. This will take some of the pressure off but will still tell that side that baby doesn't drink as much milk as it is making!

Oddly - because it sounds counter intuitive - increasing the frequency of feeds can help some people. This is because with more frequent feeding, sometimes milk sprays out less. With the milk filling baby up rather than going in to a towel or cloth, the breast gets a more accurate picture of how much milk to make rather than thinking baby has drunk it all when really half leaked out the side of his mouth or sprayed on to a nearby clothes rack!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->