Help with Introducing Solids

Tiger22

Reaction score
FTM here and feeling kind of clueless about how to start. LO is 6 months on Saturday so we will start then. I have a few Questions...
1. Should you start with rice cereal/oatmeal before the purée veggies or fruits? Is the cereal necessary? I'm just not really sure what to start with. And should you try veggies before fruit?
2. You start by one solid food feeding a day...should it be at the same time each day? And when is a good time? Then when do you start doing twice a day? And then 3 times a day?
3. Is the general rule that you should start one thing at a time and wait 3 days in case of an allergic reaction and then you can introduce other kinds of food.?

Thank you! :)

I have no advise but want you to know I am clueless too! I just ordered the baby led weaning book to be delivered tomorrow to try to help me! I gave my daughter some mushed up carrots yesterday and she turned her nose up I was quite disappointed! I'm going to try carrots again today but I'm going to cut them into longer pieces so she can chew in them herself xx

You are asking about purees etc. so I assume you are not doing BLW so will tell you what i did.

week 1 - porridge at night at night before bath
week 2 - butternut squash (you can use any veg) mixed with porridge at night before bath
week 3 - breakfast - pureed apples (didn't like this so switched to peaches the next day) mixed with porridge & dinner carrots & porridge
week 4 - breakfast fruit pureed with porridge, beetroot pureed for lunch, veg pureed for dinner

so every week i added another meal starting with dinner, then breakfast, then lunch.

and every week I try a different fruit and/or veg to find out what he likes and doesn't like.

there have only been a few things he wasn't keen on, apples and avo but that's about it

so far i have tried carrot, sweet potato, parsnips, peaches, blueberries, apples, peans, dates (tinned in juice) butternut squash, peaches, banana ... i think that's it

My son at six months ate rice or oat cereal in the morning for breakfast. Fruit puree for lunch and veggie puree mixed with rice/oat cereal for dinner. His favorites were sweet potatoes, butternut squash, snap peas, mango and banana.
I made my own purees and he never complained for any of them.
I started with rice cereal only for a week and then the next week i did a tablespoon or two of fruit and veggie puree and slowly increased as he became more and more interested in eating it.
At 8 months i introduced homemade meat and veggie medley purees.
And now at 12 months he will eat ANYTHING i give him no hesitation.
I did the three day wait for each new food given and he didnt react to anything. I avoided the 8 high allergen foods until 8 months. Hope this was helpful.

We started straight away with veggies and fruits. I frankly didn't do the 3 days. I just introduced the same veggie or fruit 3 different times alone with out mixing flavors. and than we discovered BLW was much more our style for the most part. She loves trying to feed herself so we do a combo. She gets to try and feed herself BLW style until she gets frustrated that she is still hungry and than we go to a puree TW to make her tummy happy. She rarely gets grains mostly meat, veg and fruit

Thanks for the advice! How did you make your own purees?
Also, what are the 8 high allergen foods?

Making your own baby food sounds much more daunting than it is. I promise!!

I roast my veggies. wait till my fruit is soft. Than I stick it in the food processor with some water each item takes a different amount depending on the water amount already in the food. I than send it though a strainer to make sure I didn't leave any big chunks. and than freeze it in ice cube trays. bam done and it tastes great and I know exactly what is in it.

the High allergen foods are... Milk
Eggs
Peanuts
Tree nuts (such as almonds, cashews, walnuts)
Fish (such as bass, cod, flounder)
Shellfish (such as crab, lobster, shrimp)
Soy
Wheat

I did my purees the same way. The only thing i did differently is instead of water i used homemade chicken or vegetable broth. Just for added flavor.
Dont forget strawberries. Theyre pretty high on the allergen list. So its recommended to wait until 7-8 months to introduce them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->