Help with stinky Flip covers

TigerLady

CaveTiger Clan Mama
Reaction score
I don't have any Flips yet, but have a friend that has a couple she is using for overnights. She is having a problem with the covers being stinky and smelling of ammonia. She said she wipes them out after every use as per the instructions, but they still are off.

What do you ladies do to keep the Flip covers smelling nice?

TIA :flower:

Is it definitely the covers and not the inserts that are stinky? My covers are fine, but my inserts seem to need constant stripping...

wash them on a 30 degree wash, dont wash with light colours as they might bleed, mine did

She said she is sure it is the covers... and the wet bag.

I have the organic inserts and it is definitely the covers. I had separated out my stash to try to figure out a good storage system so I had it all separated (up until this I was blaming the liners so they’d gotten an extra wash and rinse with tea tree oil). When I leaned over the covers it was overwhelmingly them. And I’ve washed the bag a few times by itself (no detergent though) and it reeks before a dipe has even gotten near it.

I'm thinking she needs to wash the wetbag and the covers on a hot wash with detergent... what do you think?

I haven't had any stink problems with the inserts or covers and they're our staple nappy :shrug:

Hmm that's odd...I've never heard of PUL being the stink problem

^ me neither... all my diapers say you can wash them on a hot cycle though? Are you guys washing them in cold water?

I wash em on 60 no problem BUT the blue bled once randomly after they had already had at least 15 washes (go figure...) so warn her to be careful and not put anything terribly white in there. Id have her use detergent on the wetbag and covers too :)

I use Flips during the day and have no problems with stink. I use each cover a few times before washing, BUT if I was using them overnight, I wouldn't reuse the cover just because if you use one for 12 hours, that's like you've used it on three 4-hour nappies during the day and that's my limit for reuse! If I was her, I'd probably figure out how to get rid of the smell and then stop reusing covers, if she is using one cover for a whole night, just in case that's the issue.

I stick mine in with the nappies and pop a colour catcher in to trap any leaking dye.

I don't bother with colour catcher/washing with like colours. Maybe I should.... Have had no dye leakage yet though. (though tbh not sure I'd be bothered if it did cause its just the inserts I put them in with anyway..)

I wash the with all my ittis and pop ins so id be mortified if i dyed those

Ive only had two colour leakages. One from a pumpkin pop-in and one from a moonbeam flip and both after significant numbers of washes....

She has washed them and the wet bag on a hot wash with detergent. I will let you know if it worked when I know. Thanks!

Just asked her and the hot wash with detergent worked perfectly. Thanks, Ladies, for your help! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->