Hi All

Gilka

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say hello. I'm 8w2d pregnant, I'm a single lesbian of 40 years old. Pregnant with an anonymous donor which I'm happy with.

Booked in with the midwife today and said that I'd used an anon. donor. I'm a bit annoyed because I'm being referred to consultant and one of the reasons is that I've used an anonymous sperm donor. There are a couple of other reasons that I'm being referred so in fact there is no need to refer for this reason and the more I've thought about it the more annoyed I am about it!! Has this happened to anyone else??

I just know I'm going to get a lecture from the consultant about "the dangers of using sperm from the internet"! I mean, I could have gone out and got drunk and slept with someone, not knowing that they're clear from STi's etc.........

It's just made me feel a bit crappy really.........Sorry, I just needed to rant.

Anyhow, would be really interested to hear how others have got on with their care professionals after using sperm donors.

Hi we are not pregnant yet but are using a known donor our Dr is fine with that sorry not much help but just wanted to answer you. I don't see why it should matter known or unknown the risks are just the same

We were referred to a consultant purely because we went through IVF! I wouldn't worry about it - just sometimes means an extra eye on things which isn't necessarily a bad thing x

I agree - it's a silly and biased reason for a referral. IVF increases rates of prematurity (not to super high rates, but it does), so it's a perfectly good reason to refer someone. But using donor sperm, especially since you are a lesbian, is inappropriate imo. I'm sorry to hear about this :-(

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say hello. I'm 8w2d pregnant, I'm a single lesbian of 40 years old. Pregnant with an anonymous donor which I'm happy with.

Booked in with the midwife today and said that I'd used an anon. donor. I'm a bit annoyed because I'm being referred to consultant and one of the reasons is that I've used an anonymous sperm donor. There are a couple of other reasons that I'm being referred so in fact there is no need to refer for this reason and the more I've thought about it the more annoyed I am about it!! Has this happened to anyone else??

I just know I'm going to get a lecture from the consultant about "the dangers of using sperm from the internet"! I mean, I could have gone out and got drunk and slept with someone, not knowing that they're clear from STi's etc.........

It's just made me feel a bit crappy really.........Sorry, I just needed to rant.

Anyhow, would be really interested to hear how others have got on with their care professionals after using sperm donors.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yes an extra eye from the consultant is ok, but I will have that anyway for the other reasons I've been referred.

I just feel like I am being judged, I've not discussed my sexuality with the midwife haven't felt it necessary.

I might be totally wrong and paranoid but it just irritated me.......

Have calmed down now though and will see what transpires.....

:thumbup:

I am not pregnant but from a lot of my friends that are pregnant and used a unknown or a known donor I learned that when being a lesbian and you conceiving sometimes it's best that you don't tell your doctor that you used a sperm donor unless you were going through IVF IUI ICI or any other methods (Not home insemination) because with that they like to get in your business. All my friends tell me this. Good luck hun and I'm following your thread for pregnancy updates

Hello everyone, hope you're ok.
Just wanted to update you, I had my consultant appointment last week. His reaction to my conceiving via sperm donor was the least of my worries! But anyway he was more curious than anything as they don't see it very often!! He didn't lecture me like I expected either so that was a bonus!!
BP was up but is now lower, am on aspirin until 36 weeks. Having BP checked weekly, see the consultant again in 2 weeks. Had a quick scan as he couldn't find the heartbeat!

Hope all is well with you and your little bub- glad there wasn't much trouble from the doctor!

so my wife and i are using donor sperm as well and we haveeee to meet with a social worker and get a letter from her saying that were fine and know the risks and benefits of using donor sperm blah blah blah before we can even have the IUI. annoying to say the least but whatever

i hope everything is well with your little bean :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->