Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

trumpetbum
great story and well done you for sticking to your guns!!
we women "know" what our own bodies can do!
xx

The book is Birthing The Easy Way by Sheila Stubbs. A friend of mine is friends with the author and she sent me a copy. I dont think it's that easy to come by over here but this is her website and you'll get some excerpts etc from there to get the gist....

https://www.birthingtheeasyway.com/

I have no concerns now. I've done lots of reading and research now and I know it's right for us. OH was initially weary but he's on board now too and looking forward to it. I know how being at home and in my own familiar surroundings always makes me (and most people) so much more relaxed and happier and that being relaxed is the key to making labour easier - it's the obvious place to be. When you're at work feeling crappy you want to be at home - as soon as you walk in the door you feel better because you are less tense. The whole thing makes perfect sense to me. Like you we are 10-20mins max away from the hospital in the event of us need to go for any reason so that's a nice reassurance but I really dont see it happening :)

x

The book is Birthing The Easy Way by Sheila Stubbs. A friend of mine is friends with the author and she sent me a copy. I dont think it's that easy to come by over here but this is her website and you'll get some excerpts etc from there to get the gist....

https://www.birthingtheeasyway.com/

I have no concerns now. I've done lots of reading and research now and I know it's right for us. OH was initially weary but he's on board now too and looking forward to it. I know how being at home and in my own familiar surroundings always makes me (and most people) so much more relaxed and happier and that being relaxed is the key to making labour easier - it's the obvious place to be. When you're at work feeling crappy you want to be at home - as soon as you walk in the door you feel better because you are less tense. The whole thing makes perfect sense to me. Like you we are 10-20mins max away from the hospital in the event of us need to go for any reason so that's a nice reassurance but I really dont see it happening :)

x

Your posts, always have such a calming effect on me! :blush: You must be a great mum..x

Hi Eternal rose Nice to see you again (well u know what I mean) seems that all the familliar names from the 2nd tri have dissapeared. I had a homebirth nearly 7 years ago with DS and am planning on another which I told my midwife from the first appointment. I have seen two different midwifes but as we're in a rural area there is only a team of three so I'm gonna get two out of the three whatever happens. They do all the arranging and disscussing at 34 weeks at a home appointment. So fingers crossed. Good luck with your plans It's so much more relaxed at home. Hope to see you around here and the third tri more often Regards Dee

I have read a few of the posts and I am now thinking I really want a home birth! I still want pain relief;gas and air and maybe diamorphine, but want to try using a pool and tens machine also. And hypnobirthing! I will need to look into classes. I have just started to feel excited about the birth now. Thanks for the thread :) it's great! So yeah add me to the list! Hope the midwife approves. I have two children already and am apparently low risk so I don't see why I couldn't have a home birth!

Sounds like you'd be a shoe-in, SB. ;-) They can bring out gas and air and Pethidine, and you can get your hands on the pool and TENS. Definitely have a good read through a the homebirth.org site. Good luck! x

Welcome SB :D You sound ideal! My MW said I was after 2 normal deliveies. Check with your MW what they can bring besides G&A. in my area they dont bring pethadine but that didnt bother me because I dont want it. She told me they carry an alternative - I forget the name - but she did say in her experience it made babies more drowsy than pethadine.

What's your due date?

Oh, I should've mentioned about the Pethidine: the way my midwife says ours works is that you have to get the prescription from the GP, so you would actually keep the Pethidine and the anti-emetic that goes with it in your home; then if you don't end up using it, you take it to the surgery afterwards. I've put in my birth plan that I don't even want to be offered it because of a weird sensitivity/allergy I have to codeine and the fact that it crosses the placenta. I had a chat with my MW about it as well, and she doesn't think it's worth the trouble (at least in my case) either.

Welcome SB :D You sound ideal! My MW said I was after 2 normal deliveies. Check with your MW what they can bring besides G&A. in my area they dont bring pethadine but that didnt bother me because I dont want it. She told me they carry an alternative - I forget the name - but she did say in her experience it made babies more drowsy than pethadine.

What's your due date?

20th April. I just had a midwife appointment last week, but it's only now that I have decided that I want a home birth. I think it's because the time is coming closer and I have been thinking a little more about the whole labour thing. I like the idea of not having to leave the house with a bag ( and forgetting things) or being unprepared or not knowing what will happen. At least at home you have more control of your environment etc. I looked at the pool you bought. It looks amazing! x

I think being at home I'd rather not have something that affects the baby. If he were to be born drowsy because of it, I think I'd be more inclined to worry about us being at home if he needed help IYKWIM. I actually wrote the same thing in my original (birth centre) plan Manda - I didnt even want it suggesting to me. I didnt want it last time but the repeatedly offered it and in the end I asked for half a dose! :dohh: Needless to say they gave me the lot and I hate the way it makes me feel so the poor baby must be off it's face!

Sounds like you'd be a shoe-in, SB. ;-) They can bring out gas and air and Pethidine, and you can get your hands on the pool and TENS. Definitely have a good read through a the homebirth.org site. Good luck! x

I have never tried pethidine, but in my last labour I had diamorphine and that was great. No problems at all with it. It really did help. so I would want that available if possible. Thats weird storing it in the fridge! oh well I'll see what midwife says about it all at my next visit.

SB, they're both opioid analgesics, so they'd act the same. Just have a good read about the effects on baby (as MM mentioned, I think this would be more of a concern at home), particularly if you intend to breastfeed. x

In Newcastle we get absolutely no opioids, so no pethadine or alternatives. It's a choice of Gas and Air, or Gas and Air or transfer!
It's not really a problem for me as I wouldn't want any because of the effects to baby. However if you do intend to use pethadine or similar for pain relief it's best to check what your local policy is asap.

In Newcastle we get absolutely no opioids, so no pethadine or alternatives. It's a choice of Gas and Air, or Gas and Air or transfer!
It's not really a problem for me as I wouldn't want any because of the effects to baby. However if you do intend to use pethadine or similar for pain relief it's best to check what your local policy is asap.

I found this too. In researching, I asked my G.P about all prescribed HB pain relief- the G.P wouldn't do any form of prescription, quoting the Harold Shipman case.. and saying they are not allowed to anymore.
Clearly from other posts, this isn't the case everywhere. And I'm not totally sure, he was telling me the whole truth - they must be conditions.. what about the terminally ill at home??.. they must have controlled drug pain relief??
Any way, wasn't a problem, i decided against it in the end.. I didn't feel that i needed it, as i wouldn't describe my labour as painful.
but for anyone thinking about it, or even having it just incase - you have to find out if the Dr's willing to prescribe it to you.

happy home births.

oh - and I’m in the process of writing my home water birth story - just going to read through the whole mammoth thread (so pleased, there are so many ladies, that have confidence in there own bodies, and midwives)
... I hope to give you ladies some of my experiences, tips, and even graphic pictures!!! :winkwink:

Looking forward to it, Bournefree! And it is lovely to see there are so many of us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->