Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

:D Well we discussed what happend at the consultant apointment and she asked if that was deffinatly what i wanted. Told her it was. She asked if i had any other health issues (apart from being fat that is) She asked how determined i was to have a home birth, then asked if there were any issues in labour would i have any problems being transferd
Told her that if there were any complications ether before hand or while in labour i would have no problems going in and no apart from being fat im fit and healthy.

She said it looks like that bitch of a consultant had wrote in my notes that i have a history of high blood pressure which it a load of bollocks, my blood pressure has allways been perfect, even after my GP spent 10 mins digging around in my arm with a scalpel trying to get my implant out. She said she has to write in my notes that i am requesting a home birth against medical advice because the consultant has an issue with it. She dident say once that she has a problem with it but from the way i was talking about it i dont think she wants me to have a water birth, Told her i wasent sure at this time.

So she is going to get the paperwork to fill in at my next apointment and then arange to come out to do the home assessment.

Its great that she wasn't difficult about it. That consultant sounds like a right awkward cow!

I think shes quite looking foward to it, she said at my booking appointment that they dont have many requests for them

I love midwives that get excited about homebirths! They are my kinda people :D

That's great news!

At my MW appointment yesterday we discussed everything and for the most part I'm happy. The only thing that I am not a fan of is that they transfer to hospital at any sign of meconium in the waters, so at around 6-7 cm if waters haven't broken yet, they break them. Not too sure how I feel about that. Hopefully they'll break before that point and it won't be an issue. But this doesn't go well with my plan to have no internals.

^^^WSS .....they simply can not insert their hands inside your vagina without permission Gina.

its funny how the mw who delivered Sid at home had the almost opposite approach. She could have broken my hind waters (I had 1 internal at my request 30 mins before he was born) to help speed things up but she decided not to in case there was mec in them. She said if there was she'd have to advise transfer but if they broke and there was mec as I was pushing, we'd stay put. They were clear anyway when they popped on their own as I sat on the birth stool to have him. :)

Thanks you guys! I can tell that she has lots of fear around the meconium issue which totally sucks. I've been talking to my doula about it and she is supporting me. Transfer to hospital is law here so I am ok with that. But I am going to tell her at my next visit that I will not allow her to break my water to check and take it from there.

You have to try to get the happy medium that you are all comfortable with so that sounds like the way forward Gina :thumbup:

But i dont blame her for wanting to be carefull. It can be nasty if baby breathes it in.

Changing the subject a wee bit but ...I've spoken to my midwife about minimal internals and she's happy with that. She did say she prefers to do an initial quick check on arrival to see where we are, and might stay or leave based on that assessment, I'm happy with this. Other than whether I'm cracking on enough for her to stay I really don't want to know 'how dilated' I am, or 'how long' they think it'll be. Has anyone else taken this approach?

Me. I had one when she arrived when my waters went and that was it. I had it in my birth plan that I didnt want them and the MW who ended up being the one delivering me (they changed shift at 8pm) was actually of the opinion that not having them is a good idea. I asked for one when I was flagging a bit towards the end and they were wondering about sending for some more G&A. We had 1 canister of the 3 they brought left. I asked them to check me before deciding if we needed more. She did and I was 7cm and so we decided to get me on the birth stool to help me dilate. I went from 7 to 10cm in a matter of minutes once I was on that stool!

There is really no need to do internals to check for dilation. There is a line that develops as labor progresses that corresponds to how dilated you are.

Oh yes and you also get an attractive hump/bump on the bottom of your back!! My MW kept checking there and OH asked her what she was doing! He said you could see this bump developing!

Its funny my MWs wont even discuss birth plans or what i want or anything other than putting my name on a list :nope: They arent horrible about it just not really wanting to do anything either :wacko:

Thanks ladies. I did think it was unecessary. :)
That's a shame Blob, there's a space at the back of my handheld notes for a birthplan which my hb m/w had a look at and discussed when we met at around 13 weeks. I did have an appt at 18 weeks and the doc wrote in my notes 'too early to discuss/decide on homebirth' which my midwife thought was just silly, why would it ever be too early to discuss your birth choices?? It's such a shame that things differ so much across the country. I think for once NHSGG&C have got it spot on with this homebirth team.

On my plan I have put that I do not want internals and I also do not want to know dilation or time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->