Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

No babies MM!

Kandy...I had shingles just before I concieved, but thought I might be pregnant. Dr wasn't at all concerned at all as bubs gets protection from you. The main person to take care of is you as its not nice at all :( and quite painful at times. I found lots of cold damp cloths helped sooth the pain and paracetamol. And stay away from others who haven't had chicken pox, especially pregnant women. But if they've had the pox then your not contagious to them :hugs:

Hope its just a random rash though and not actually shingles! xxx

Luckyd- from royal collge of obs and gynae guideline:

Risk assessments for the prediction of shoulder dystocia are insufficiently predictive to allow prevention of the large majority of cases.
A number of antenatal and intrapartum characteristics have been reported to be associated with
shoulder dystocia (Table 1). There is a relationship between fetal size and shoulder dystocia5 but it is not a good predictor. The large majority of infants with a birth weight of ≥4500 g do not develop shoulder dystocia and, equally importantly, 48% of incidences of shoulder dystocia occur in infants with a birth weight less than 4000 g. Moreover, clinical fetal weight estimation is unreliable and third-trimester ultrasound scans have at least a 10% margin for error for actual birth weight and a sensitivity of just 60% for macrosomia (over 4.5 kg).19
Statistical modelling has shown that these risk factors are not independent. Although statistically associated, these clinical characteristics have a low positive predictive value both singly and in combination. Conventional risk factors predicted only 16% of shoulder dystocia that resulted in infant morbidity. The large majority of cases occur in the children of women with no risk factors.
Shoulder dystocia is, therefore, a largely unpredictable and unpreventable event.
RCOG Guideline No. 42 2 of 13
Evidence
level III
Table 1 Factors associated with shoulder dystocia
Pre-labour Intrapartum
Previous shoulder dystocia Prolonged first stage of labour
Macrosomia Secondary arrest
Diabetes mellitus Prolonged second stage of labour
Maternal body mass index > 30 kg/m2 Oxytocin augmentation
Induction of labour Assisted vaginal delivery

Ooh, haven't seen those before Chuck :)

I only know them because hubby runs.

YOu can get them in supermarkets or sports shops they arent very expensive they just seem like a good option for something that is really small, is no effort to eat, wont sit in your stomach and make you likely to hurl at some point and will give you energy.

I had some things called shot blocks last time - similar things but little cubes of jelly.

I havent tried the gels I can't imagine they taste great but hey if they do the trick who cares!

Ive just had another MW appt. Another different MW, she didnt have time take bloods.. told me my appt was supposed to be tomorrow (Which it really wasnt!) and had a go at me because I didnt bring my own urine sample pot.. when I said I hadnt ever been given one she said I have to buy my own from the chemist :shock: Ive never had to do this before :shrug:

I have another appt booked now for 31st March when ill be 41 weeks, hoping I wont be going to that!

...and had a go at me because I didnt bring my own urine sample pot.. when I said I hadnt ever been given one she said I have to buy my own from the chemist :shock: Ive never had to do this before :shrug:

Ugh the midwife I saw at 16 weeks said this to me. My GP always has them in the toilet though, same as the hospital here, so I always use them there and take one for spare.

Really doesn't help when they are like that with you though. I felt like a little girl being told off, not good at all :nope:

Buy your own piss pots? What do we pay NICs for?! I always forget to pick one up at my appointments though and usually use one of the 50ml centrifuge tubes I palmed from my PhD days. :lol: One day they will be gone though...

Where do these people get off being so rude? I just don't understand it. In work we come across people from time to time who might be totally wrong and have stuffed up or be horrid or whatever but since when was it ok to be horrible to them? I think some people in some jobs need some customer service training. Patronising gits.

This makes me feel bad as I just cleaned out my room and found about 5 that I threw out. I was horrible at being given one to bring in for next time only to forget so they'd give me a new one. They should have made me pay for them cause maybe then I wouldn't forget about them.

Mine stays ion a zip compartment of my handbag that I never use as its quite fiddly to get things in and out of....I just realized how kinda gross it is I take my pee pot everywhere I go LOL

My pee comes everywhere with me too! Only way I won't lose it. Maybe i should rinse it out though... Yuk! Found out yesterday from my mum that it is in fact a sperm sample pot! Quite appropriate I suppose :)

I meant my pee pot, my pee doesn't come everywhere with me. That really would be gross!

I carry mine around with me too - though it has been replaced once this pregnancy. I can't pee directly into it any more though as I can't see what I'm doing!!

I was quite shocked last time around how good my aim got even though I could barely reach to wipe myself!

I'mk glad you said that lousielou :D only not only can I not see but I can't hover anymore either :D

Sorry for going AWOL peeps but I'm back from a marathon birth and catching up! Have we had any babies over the weekend? :)

How was your first doula to a CS momma?

Did you peek?

It was my first CS and it was really wonderful. I was invited by the cinsultant to watch the forceps procedure which unfortunately wasn't successful. Because it was semi elective after a long tiring labour and hours of pushing, there was time to make it a really gentle and more personal. The everyone in theatre, including me, were asked to introduce themselves to my clients by first name and job title. We negotiated skin to skin, dad cut the cord and he was able to announce the sex of the baby to his wife. She was really upbeat and very alert and there was a lovely atmosphere in the room. After she had been cuddling her little boy for a while daddy was able to take him to their room for skin to skin and he was very alert and nuzzling for food. I stayed with mum and we talked while they finished the section. She reflected positively and remarked how she still felt like she had been in control at every twist and turn of the journey. It was a planned hospital birth and even as she laid there being fixed back together she was talking about how the next one would be a home birth. Not in a negative way but because she and enjoyed most of all labouring at home in the pool before we made the move to the hospital. So she may well be my first HBAC in time to come because her parting words were 'see when we have the next one!' :cloud9: so lovely to leave them feedin well and feeling positive.

Here the midwives just get you to pee on the test strips then you report the findings yourself.... saves pee pots and subsequently money and the world :thumbup:

So I spent last night reading and reading and reading and found ALOT of conflicting information. There's tons and tons of info on contrating varicella in pregnancy but surprisingly little on the impact of shingles on pregnancy. Apparently, it's a rare occurance..... But generally speaking shingles is definitly not as much of a concern as contacting chicken pox which I knew and generally speaking getting it in pregnancy is not much of a concern at all except there seems to be alot of question as to whether or not that is true if it occurs near the time of delivery (which is problematic as I'm 39 weeks tomorrow!). In utero there seems to be no problem at all... But once baby is out, then the risk to baby supposedly increases substantially. So that's where the conflicting info comes into play. Some sources are saying that risk is negligable and only interventions if signs of neonatal infection present is indicated. Other sources are saying that the risk of neonatal varicella is 30-40% when the shingles is present at the time of delivery and that the newborn should be vaccinated within 72 hours of the birth. Other sources say that the infant should only be vaccinated if the shingles outbreak occured less than 5 days prior to delivery. Other sources state 10 days. Some sources are also recommended baby be seperated from the mother until the shingles are healed :shock: Others thank goodness, strongly oppose this practice. :shrug:

As for my day.... Went to the walk in clinic this morning (oh the joys of no longer having a family GP....) and the doctor (whom I greatly despised) agreed that he thought that my rash was shingles but that because I was pregnant there was nothing he could prescribe me and that all I should do is put calamine lotion on it or baking soda and water.

Went home and paged my midwife to update her on the situation. She was not to pleased that the doctor did not prescribe an anti-viral medication and told me to go to the ER to speak to the doctor there (prescribing anti-virals is not within midwifery scope of practice....). So I went there and the ER physician was not 100% convicned it was shingles. Said it was definitly a possibility but the rash more so resembled HSV I(apparently getting it on locations other than the mouth is becoming more common) or that it could also be a bacterial skin infection of hair follicles or sweat glands. She did a swab (which won't be back for 3 weeks) and said that she thought I should receive an anti-viral just incase and baby should be vaccinated following the birth should I still have the blisters present, however she wanted a second/third opinion so she paged the OB/Gyn to come see me. The OB came (it was the one I didn't like when I was in my L&D student placements because he was very cold and lacked social skills but he was pleasantly nice and giddy when he came in to see me). He said that he was pretty sure it was shingles and prescribed me Valtrex... I'm more familiar with using acyclovir in pregnancy, but he said he preferred to prescribe Valtrax and it would be more effective yadda yadda yadda so that's what I got. He then went on to complain about the first doctors incompetence and that he was not impressed that they had to call him in for this matter :wacko: Then he stated that this would in no way effect baby and vaccination would not be required following delivery.

Called my midwife to update her and she said that the guidelines she has read clearly states that should the rash still be present at the time of delivery it is highly recommended that baby be vaccinated within 72 hours of the birth. She's still perfectly fine with me having a homebirth (as there really isn't any good reason not to) though she doesn't think having a waterbirth would be a good idea. Right now the affected area is relatively small (approximately 1inch by 2inches) and could easily be covered by a tagaderm but as it stands now her 'recommendations' are no water birth until more information is gathered regarding this issue.....

I have to admit while I'm not anti-vaccine, there are a few vaccines out there that I'm not in favour of and varicella is one of them.... However, if there truly is an increased risk of 30-40% increased chance of neonatal varicella perhaps the vaccine would have some merit :shrug: As even though the mortality rate is much less then congenital varicella, neonatal varicella can still be quite a severe and unpleasant thing to deal with.... I just really need more info before I agree to injecting such a little baby with an immunization because right now the information I've been reading has been quite sketchy.....

So off I go... Hopefully I'll find some adequate studies to lead me in the right direction cause right now I'm very :shrug:

Good luck researching Kandy. Excuse my ignorance but by neonatal varicella do you mean bubs getting chicken pox? Think I'd be with you in having the vaccine if that was the case and there is such a high risk as it cannot be good to have the pox so young. Having said that so long as you cover the blisters and bubs does not come into contact with them, or they're already dried up when he/she arrives the risk should surely be hardly any? xx

Blimey Kandy that's not half confusing! And in the UK we don't vaccinate for chicken pox AT ALL. I don't know the effect in the newborns but there is a whole school of thought around chicken pox parties in the UK and getting it out of the way asap!

im screwed when my kids get chicken pox, i have no immunity to it hahaha

Thankfully i got the pox I got it BAD (in my throats eyes etc nearly hospitalised) so I know I'm immune!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->