Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

*la la la la la la la* I cant hear you....I cannot get it twice.

Yeah we don't vaccinate for chicken pox here either. Sorry you are going through this Kandy!

That is a great birth story MM - really good to hear how a CS can be, if done in the right way!

I would do the same Lucky. Maybe ask them if the community midwives are trained in managing shoulder dystosia if it occurs?

Thank you PB....it really means a lot to hear you say you would do the same thing. I am sure I am making the right decision, but then when my mind does a little wobble it is really helpful to hear that others would have done the same! As I am sure that there are many others who would think I am being stupid for ignoring advice to see a consultant.

Luckyd- from royal collge of obs and gynae guideline:

Risk assessments for the prediction of shoulder dystocia are insufficiently predictive to allow prevention of the large majority of cases.
A number of antenatal and intrapartum characteristics have been reported to be associated with
shoulder dystocia (Table 1). There is a relationship between fetal size and shoulder dystocia5 but it is not a good predictor. The large majority of infants with a birth weight of ≥4500 g do not develop shoulder dystocia and, equally importantly, 48% of incidences of shoulder dystocia occur in infants with a birth weight less than 4000 g. Moreover, clinical fetal weight estimation is unreliable and third-trimester ultrasound scans have at least a 10% margin for error for actual birth weight and a sensitivity of just 60% for macrosomia (over 4.5 kg).19
Statistical modelling has shown that these risk factors are not independent. Although statistically associated, these clinical characteristics have a low positive predictive value both singly and in combination. Conventional risk factors predicted only 16% of shoulder dystocia that resulted in infant morbidity. The large majority of cases occur in the children of women with no risk factors.
Shoulder dystocia is, therefore, a largely unpredictable and unpreventable event.
RCOG Guideline No. 42 2 of 13
Evidence
level III
Table 1 Factors associated with shoulder dystocia
Pre-labour Intrapartum
Previous shoulder dystocia Prolonged first stage of labour
Macrosomia Secondary arrest
Diabetes mellitus Prolonged second stage of labour
Maternal body mass index > 30 kg/m2 Oxytocin augmentation
Induction of labour Assisted vaginal delivery

Thank you thank you thank you! That is really reassuring to read!!

I have also read that TRUE cases of shoulder dystocia are really rare - that sometimes the baby can have 'sticky shoulders' but that often this is reported as shoulder dystocia so the statistics are actually higher than they need to be.

Thanks again :hugs:

I actually managed to have a semi-good sleep last night so am feeling a bit better about it all today! I have had a good talk with my baby and we have decided that we will be fine, we are going to work it out together!

Good luck researching Kandy. Excuse my ignorance but by neonatal varicella do you mean bubs getting chicken pox? Think I'd be with you in having the vaccine if that was the case and there is such a high risk as it cannot be good to have the pox so young. Having said that so long as you cover the blisters and bubs does not come into contact with them, or they're already dried up when he/she arrives the risk should surely be hardly any? xx

Yep, chicken pox.

See I'm thinking along those lines as well ^^^ in that as long as I keep the area covered and wash my hands frequently etc etc there shouldn't be much oppertunity to infect Baby Peanut postpartum... In addition to that I've been reading that in women who have had chicken pox previously (as I have) the IgG antibodies (that prevent me from getting chicken pox again) are passed to baby throughout pregnancy and that those antibodies can last up to 6 months. Surely if they can last up to 6 months the protection the baby will have in the first week or two when I "may" be contagious should be sufficient enough to protect it???? Plus I'll be breastfeeding which should aid in that protection as well. I have no clue where this 30-40% neonatal infection rate is derived from :shrug: But it makes no sense given the physiology of immunity and the nature of the varicella virus. So I'm at a loss while some care providers think giving a baby VZIG is indicated if the mother has shingles at the time of delivery. Giving it if the mom has chicken pox makes sense, alot of sense given the stats regarding outcomes if it's not given.... But in terms of shingles I'm yet to find any compelling evidence to suggest that what the midwife is saying is right.

PeanutBean - I remember pox parties... LOL those were the days :happydance: Personally, I'd much rather my children gain natural immunity to the disease... Especially now knowing how much shingles SUCKS and knowing that the chances of getting shingles is much higher among those who get the vaccine than those who actually had pox.

Neither one of my children were immunized against chicken pox... I've been anxiously waiting and hoping for them to get it but now that the majority of children are being immunized against it exposure is limited. I'm half tempted to start rubbing my spots on them in hopes of them getting it (as I've decided that they willl immunized once they hit their teens due to the increased risks associated with pox and increased age) BUT the thought of caring for a newborn AND children with chicken pox does not sound pleasant at all! In fact, I'm a little worried that I had taken any precautions before now in terms of always wearing just tank tops exposing the rash and cuddles and stuff.... But it wasn't blistering until yesterday so I just thought it was contact dermatitis or something else just as benign :dohh:

Anyways, I really have to stop rambling!

Fell asleep on the couch in a weirdish position and woke up and it really felt quite certain that baby was breech. It was a very noticable change Sat up and baby pretty much instantaneously turned transverse... Baby's been cephalic for 2 weeks and now it's doing gymnastics again! What's up with that?!?!

I seriously just want to cry. :cry: I just want everything to be happy and healthy and normal.

Maybe baby just shufted over to the other side Kandy? I also daily wonder about mine turning as she is so active and lies a different way every time I lie down. Have you found any info on the effects on a newborn if it DOES get pox? I think I would probably base my decision on that. I agree with you about the immunity theory. I assumed that is why shingles isn't considered a problem. I also agree that two pox kids and a newborn does NOT sound fun!!

I agree with MM too, keep the faith. It'll all be fine. I sometimes wonder if we worry even more than others because if our careful consideration of the implications of well everything!

You too Lucky. Have faith too. My battle is no actually I don't want antibiotics during labour for the GBS you found at 24 weeks that could've come from almost anywhere. I think it's going to be a toughie!

I was under the impression that you couldn't get chicken pox from shingles but you could get shingles from chicken pox. Maybe I took on the information all wrong. Someone correct me if they know it to be different.

if you haven't had chicken pox before you can catch the virus from someone with shingles IF they have the active spots (the ones with the puss in).

You also can't "catch" shingles. The chicken pox virus once caught never leaves your body, instead becomes dormant on a nerve bundle in your spine. It is triggered again from being run down/tired/reduced immunity (like being pregnant), and the spots form at the end of the nerve the virus has attached to in the spinal column.

There have been cases where people have had chicken pox twice but it's never clear if it is or just shingles, and some people have claimed to catch shingles but you can't :)

Went and had my Anti-D today. But had to go into the birth centre, hmmm I didn't realise how difficult it would be to be in there again.

I burst into tears at the stabby lady!

:hugs: Chuck

And I had a good night's sleep and seemed to have pulled myself together and baby definitly feels cephalic this morning. I'm still 97.8% certain it was breech last night through palpating and by where the movements were and by what I was hearing on the fetoscope... and I'm 100% sure it went transverse soon afterwards. I think I was just a little disheartened that baby's lie suddenly became unstable right as we're nearing the end as I had thought he was bypasssed that hurdle and then when that was combined with all the shingles drama and a really awful dream the night before last I kinda lost my cool for a moment......

just asked in 3rd Tri but has anyone heard form ArmyWife?

She posted in here a lil bit but was booked for a CS monday despite going ionto labour over the weekend she didnt progress.

just wondering if the no news was a happy babymoon kind of news!

No not seen anything but I've not had time for much browsing on here.

I am literally lost for words. Aghast.
https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnan...oes-society-expect-too-much-us-long-post.html

I am literally lost for words. Aghast.
https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnan...oes-society-expect-too-much-us-long-post.html

I saw that earlier... and :shock: so I thought it best to close the door and run away!!!!!

I posted but could hardly find words. I don't think I've ever read anything so contrary to my own opinions in my whole life!

^^ I read the first couple of posts but was completely overwhelmed - it was a real jaw drop-read - didn't know where to start...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->