Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Breastfeeding is very hard, and you really do need a good support network to get through it. I'm very lucky to have had my husband (who was thinking of his wallet the whole time but still :haha:) but if he hadn't of been there for me I couldn't have done it.

I'm sorry you girls didn't get a lot of support :( :hugs:

xxx

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012y0tr/Panorama_One_Born_Every_40_Seconds/

dont know if anyone saw this but at least the problem of MW shortages is starting to be highlighted

i tend to stay away from programs like that as they normaly piss me off lol

the problem in my local hospital is down to 99% of the mws being total bitches rather then being understaffed.

ive been so ill sonce yesterday :( so zanes at my mums, hes back home tomorrow morning and then ive got to get us both up to see the mw! takes the p because its 2 buses away... im tempted to cancel.

ive had what feels like afew contractions yesterday and today but i think they were set off by being sick. so just incase i had a look at my tens machine to make sure i can work it lol

I always say, Chuck: support makes or breaks a breastfeeding relationship. It's the key thing, IMO. If the support isn't there, it's a jillion times harder. But do remember that every drop counts. The milk that the boys did get, be it one feed or 20, was all down to you putting them on the breast in the first place. Well done! x

I know, they both got the colostrum and a few days after my milk came in, I'll never forgive my husband for not supporting me in wanting to BF and for not even trying to come to theatre when I had my EMCS and leaving me there alone.

I didnt watch it either, thought it might send me over the edge after my consultant appt from hell yday. cant remember if i said here but she insisted that they never ever do monitoring, didnt know what test i was on about and had no idea of how the arrangements would be made. also said that home bp machines arent calibrated for pregnant bp. i assume next would have been her story of how the stork will bring my baby after the pixies carve it out of cheese!

my oh was supportive of me bf but he was just as scared as i was so when i didnt get the help from the mws i just felt run down and id dread every feed so oh went and made zane his first bottle.

chuck thats awful ur oh didnt support u bf and wasnt with u for ur emcs :(

ive heard tell of lactation consultants, are these an american thing? how great would it be if we had someone come round and show us what to do, cheer us on etc.

I think there are lactation consultants in the UK but I've never met one or was offered any help or anything - I always saw health visitors for any help

xxx

In the UK you got Peer supporters (I'm one!). You could find a peer supporter through your local sure start and we tend to hang out at breastfeeding support groups.

oh I saw the lactation consultant when I went to the MLU after the EMCS but then I went home it snowed and was icy, I saw a different MW every time I called to see one and they would latch Dewi and say well he's latched try nipple shields or pumping and that was that. we went to a tongue tie clinic a week or so PP and it was cancelled - we had travelled 20 miles in the snow for that adn it a the last straw.

I got a call from the lactation consultant for the area a week or so later saying I could back into the MLU for a few days and they'd help me pump and everything but it was too late I was so tired and worn out and needed to heal from the surgery and doing it alone that I didnt have it in me to go back.

I saw the lactation consultant in hospitla with Stanley who helped me with the latch and I thought all was well until the searing pain worse than anything I had in labour started a week later, I didnt bled and have scabs this time just agony depsite everyone telling me he was latched properly. Huff.

Ah well.

Next time may be LOL

could have been a case of thrush hun if your nipples were in good shape,
BF either time was a bumpy road to start for me but im prepared this time got things to bite on if we have latch problems lol EJ had a tounge tie and destroyed my nipples so we expressed n bottle feed for 5 wks and i was really lucky he took back to BF directly after that and from then on it was a joy to do, but the BF forum here was my only real support other than OH refusing to buy formula caus the only lot EJ had in hospital came back up for 24 hours straight lol thankfully mum taught me heaps the first time round.

ive got my doula this time to help me with breastfeeding, but my mums worried it might be abit too much for me...even tho ile still be up in the night feeding whether its a bottle or boob lol

lol true that lol boob is way easier in the middle of the night

https://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2kFgV7/www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1595304/

just came upon this link that is a good read

Breastfeeding is really easy once you and baby have the hang of it. Are you going to cosleep moomin?

Breastfeeding is really easy once you and baby have the hang of it. Are you going to cosleep moomin?

i coslept with zane and loved it but with corey im not going to...well im going to try and not do lol

with zane coming into my room in the morning i wouldnt want him accidently hurting corey as i no hed be so upset with himself. so i think the cot might be the safest place

Its just that it makes night feeds so much easier, especially when they're cluster feeding!

If you cosleep will you have him in the bed or with one of those bedside cot thingies which attach on? Ive been thinking about cosleeping just because our bedroom is laid out weird, only real place for a moses basket etc would be the middle of the room! damn you ikea wardrobes!

I'll have baby in bed with me. With DD we had her cot next to our bed with only 3 sides on it....but she spent ALL night next to me anyway, either having hugs or snacks. Our bedroom is laid out differently now anyway and my side of the bed is pushed up against the wall.

Its just that it makes night feeds so much easier, especially when they're cluster feeding!

Sorry for butting in but i second this!

Willow cluster feeds 9-12 then wakes 3 times between 12 and 7.30 and co sleeping makes it so much easier. Im getting way more sleep this time then with River and she was FF so i had help at night

I wasnt BF'ing long but I used a snuggle nest to co-sleep for a few weeks with Stnaley I just preferred the idea of having him right next to me.

Thankfully we have a kingsize bed other wise we would never have fit in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->