Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Husband just announced that at my appointment on monday he wants to have an in depth discussion on why they want to induce me. I really dont want to do this as theyve said their part (ie, risk of still birth) ive read the studies and have made an informed decision that all being well I wont be following their guidelines. I thought DH was with me on it. He does seem to be, but I think he wants to find out if there is anything I havent looked into, or if Ive been taken in by the natural labouring propoganda.

I dont really know what he thinks it will achieve apart from making it yet another stressful and upsetting appointment. He said he will question them on the risks of induction, do you really think they'll be objective and talk about the risks such as stronger contractions causing fetal distress, higher chance of c section and instrumental delivery? Because I have no faith whatsoever that theyll give a balanced view.

I plan to sit there and not get involved. Ive heard their view, Ive looked up the stats and the research and I dont intend to get drawn into a statistics throwing match. Really all its going to achieve is me going home upset when it should be an exciting day where we might find out the sex of our baby and will hopefully find out that all is well and healthy.

Ive written my reasons for requesting monitoring over automatic induction at 38w. Would anyone be able to have a quick look and check if Ive missed anything? Will spoiler it so its not a massive wall of text for those who arent interested :)

Induction in diabetic women is a policy based on three studies of insulin dependent women, all with small samples. I am not currently insulin dependant.
-Hawthorn found that 4.8% of a sample of 300 women suffered stillbirth/death in first month of life compared to 1% in non insulin dependant
-Casson looked at 462 births, the same 4-5% was found however these included unviable miscarriages, preterm births and abortions. With these removed the statistics drop to 2.5%. It is not known whether induction would have saved these babies.
-A third study again with a small sample showed that induction at 38weeks made no difference in outcome

RCOG say that their recommendations for induction in diabetics are based on usual practice rather than sound research

Risks of induction itself
Pre term birth can lead to breathing problems
A study by Tew showed that interventions caused additional risks and mortality rates were higher.
Cardozo showed that induced babies had a lower AGPAR score and poorer birth outcomes.

Prostoglastins and ARM often fail due to cervix not being ready. Prostoglastins carry the risk of fetal distress due to strong contractions. ARM has the risks of infection, cord prolapse, fetal distress and bleeding. The next step is synthetic oxytocin.

Risks of synthetic oxytocin
-Stronger contractions leading to fetal distress
-Stronger contractions leading to more need for pain relief then we get into associated risks of epidural (lowered BP, slowing labour and 2nd stage, c section risk increased 2-3 times (C section carries all the usual risks of major surgery plus the negative affect it has on the babys breathing (3.5% compared to 0.5% in vaginal delivery).4 times greater risk of maternal death (1 in 2500 compared to 1 in 10k)), more risk of instrumental delivery, abnormal fetal hb, there are effects post birth on baby eg difficulty in feeding/suckling).
-Bonding and breastfeeding are harder due to natural oxytocin not being produced in high enough levels. Chance of PND also increased.

Sacks' study on induction of labour vs conservative management in diabetics says that they benefits of induction are unclear

DH has said that we can say that we prefer to be monitored but could the Drs tell us the reasons they want to induce me (they already have done twice). I plan on sitting there and nodding then repeating that we want monitoring tbh. But want some ammo with me just in case.

i would counter the doctors with that info you have hun unless they can undeniably prove there is greater risk to your baby through carrying on the pregnancy than the risks of early induction then you have no reason to go along with what they want

Husband just announced that at my appointment on monday he wants to have an in depth discussion on why they want to induce me. I really dont want to do this as theyve said their part (ie, risk of still birth) ive read the studies and have made an informed decision that all being well I wont be following their guidelines. I thought DH was with me on it. He does seem to be, but I think he wants to find out if there is anything I havent looked into, or if Ive been taken in by the natural labouring propoganda.

I dont really know what he thinks it will achieve apart from making it yet another stressful and upsetting appointment. He said he will question them on the risks of induction, do you really think they'll be objective and talk about the risks such as stronger contractions causing fetal distress, higher chance of c section and instrumental delivery? Because I have no faith whatsoever that theyll give a balanced view.......

Oh I totally feel ya. They make you feel so terrible in trying to make the RIGHT decision for YOUR child!! It's YOUR baby and you can make what ever decision you feel is best. And they SHOULD support that not fight it every step of the way!! *sigh* The doctor actually told me, "If you don't go through with this we could sue you if the baby dies." Can you believe that?? Do what you feel in your heart is best don't let them change your mind. Are you really 18 wks and they are already talking about induction?? At 38 wks? That's ridiculous.

Ps. love the spoiler. :) arm your self! :)

They told me at 8w they would induce me due to "the very real risk of still birth".....

i have never been sat down by a mw or doctor and told i could have a still birth with either of my pregnancies! this is beyond me why they are trying to scare u and induce u early (is ur pregnancy high risk? asking incase ive missed something)

tell them to stick that up their arses, and tell ur oh he should be supporting u and his baby not some jumped up mw who just wants to scare u.

if we all worried about the what ifs we just wouldnt get pregnant in the first place

I'm under the diabetic clinic as I had insulin resistance due to pcos two years prior to pregnancy. But my blood sugars throughout pregnancy have been at normal non diabetic levels (and even pre Preg when I wasn't eating 100% healthy they weren't diabetic levels)

Every time I go they tell me how complicated things are going to get. At 8w they said sugars would shoot up at 16w. At 16w when they still hadn't they said it would happen at 24w. I really feel like just not going to consultant appts as they upset me for weeks but feel bad about not being monitored. Wish they were more supportive tho rather than just trying to scare me into doing it their way.

its like they are praying for u to become high risk! that is disgusting.

hospitals dont seem to realise that there are so many more things that go wrong in a hospital :dohh: im scared to death of labour because of how i was treated there.

all u can do is stick to ur guns, they have no reason to induce u early or make u feel bad

I wonder if we should start a diabetic home Birthers support thread like the GBS one so we can keep good links together etc?

Probably a good idea tbh. I've not found that many other diabetic ppl on here who go against what their drs 'allow' them to do tho. I'd worry it would be a total ghost town.

Fantastic news Indigo! Well done on getting your VBAC even though it wasn't as you hoped.

It will take time for you to come to terms with what happened it was pretty rough for a while, but you are both here and healthy and together now. Allow what you both survived and came through the other side having achieved VBAC and BF'ing to make you stronger.

Can't wait to hear the name, enjoy your time together at last and happy healing!

Moomin - shhhh you'll be fab really fab!

Well i think if you include GD in there it would be a great resource. Bournefree is a GD mummy and there are others with unconfirmed GD who are declining tests etc....

Speaking of tests... I have my 28 week MW appointment this week and they will want to do bloods. I'm not really sure what they are for :shrug: Anyone know what the third tri bloods are testing for?

I actually feel like cancelling the appointment because I don't feel like I need to see anyone. Baby is moving well and I feel fine. I don't feel that going to see the MW will be particularly helpful to me right now. If I cancel and make another appointment for 34 weeks, which is the next one I should have as a second timer, is the MW likely to call me and give me grief?! I haven't seen her since 15 weeks.

3rd tri bloods are for iron as far as i remember.

Congratulations Indigo! July has been a good month for babies so far!

My little Michael came out of NICU last Wednesday, thankfully he was given a clean bill of help - no infections, he just needed a bit of a helping hand for the first couple of days of his life. I have spent the last few days just cuddling him and ignoring the rest of the world.

I have to say that I couldn't have asked for a better support this past week - from the midwives who attended me at home and especially the NICU nurses at the hospital who really gave two very scared and frightend new parents the highest level of support and calming words during the first few days of their sons life.

Glad he's out murmur and that you've been enjoying your time together.

Good idea about the diabetes thread. :thumbup: The gbs one is hardly wildly populated but I think it is viewed quite a bit even if those people aren't contributing. You'll see I've popped it in my sig now in the hope that more 'mainstream' mums might see and benefit from it.

These threads might not be posted in much but if we populate them people will come across them when googling so its worthwhile.

Must do more in the VBAC one...need a computer that works first, Dewi broke my laptop so I'm still on the old sounds like a jumbo jet feels like Im back on dial up type machine. Ergh

hello ladies :)! Congrats indigo and well done to michael for getting out of NICU.

I need birthing pool help! Is there a thread on them already? I dunno where to start? do you hire or purchase, and what sort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->