Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Apparently you go in for monitoring everyday and they do a scan or 2 to check liqor levels and stuff. Obviously there is a limit as the placenta will deteroriate but my MW says you can usually negotiate an extra week or so but ultimately its down to the consultant and out of the MWs hands :roll:

I kind of thought that would be the case, but I assumed if the placenta was still working fine then whats the difference between being 42 weeks or 42+3 iykwim?

xxx

when i was heading towards 42 weeks the MW said she would have to book me in for a scan at 42+ to measure the fluid and she said i would have to go in everyday to be monitored (i went into labour a few hours after she told me she had booked the scan lol)

she also said that the consultant would try his hardest to talk me out of a home birth but to stick to my guns with him

when i was heading towards 42 weeks the MW said she would have to book me in for a scan at 42+ to measure the fluid and she said i would have to go in everyday to be monitored (i went into labour a few hours after she told me she had booked the scan lol)

would they have been ok with you having the baby at home though after 42 weeks? x

Unless theres a huge problem with the placenta or cord, or fluid levels then yes, theyre fine with you continuing on with your homebirth although they would try and get you induced in hospital. If you refuse an induction i dont see the different between giving birth in hospital or at home anyway :shrug:

stuck up cow thats a load of bull. some mws really piss me off lol

to help baby move head down u can sit on a birthing ball, walk around, get on all fours that type of thing.

coreys head down but hes back to back which im not impressed with and hes now engaged and is killing me lol

Get walking stairs to get him to turn!

ive got a down stairs loo but just to get me walking i use the upstairs loo so im up and down them all day hahaha

Amelie was back to back and it wasn't too bad really although ive nothing to compare it to. I'm sure you'll do fine, especially as your body has done it all before.

yes the MW said they could not force me to do anything, and she also said that if i started going too far over 42 she would get me on castor oil etc to try and get me going.... i also had 5 sweeps so they were pretty determined i was going to birth him at home lol!

it is hard when you are up against the stuffy consultants but they cant make you do anything, even if you go over 42 weeks - you will be monitored and providing everything is ok with baby then you can stick to the 'he/she will come when ready' motto imo

the way i see it is zane was induced so if i can get thru that then ile be able to get thru back to back seen as they thought he was back to back as all my contractions in my back.

i will soon find out tho lol
ive been having really bad engaging pains all day and this is how i felt when i was in early labour with zane, but that lasted for ages so im waiting for contractions before i get my hopes up

Hope its not too long, cant wait to hear you and linzis birth stories :D

theres also jodie whos due this month too so 3 of us could pop anytime.

altho i still dont quiet believe im even pregnant hahaha

Shiv, check out the Spinning Babies website. And read up on the homebirth website as well. Baby will likely turn, and if it were me I'd plan for the homebirth. Because you can plan a homebirth and transfer in at any stage. But you can't plan a hospital birth and then go home (well, you could of course, although they'd be all dramatic about it).

Thanks - I've been doing inversions for a week now with no luck :cry: I will give it until my 34 week midwife appt and then start planning!

jodie still has a few weeks doesnt she? You and linzi are pretty much at due date ;o

oh nvm, shes due in 2 days!

how exciting :D

Shiv - If the midwife is worried they can always do an external cephalic version to try and turn the baby. I am sure it most be easier then trying to flip a breech baby since it's already half way there. I wouldn't worry about it at all and continue the HB plans. I agree check out spinning babies. Great tools. My daughter flipped every which way until I was 36 weeks. Then she engaged. It is fairly common to have a baby lay transverse this late in pregnancy.

Here is a study I found on transverse lie babies:
Two hundred thirty-five patients with transverse fetal lies incidentally discovered by sonography at more than 20 weeks of gestation were followed to term. The overall persistence of this maIposition was 6.0%, ranging from 2.6% in the 20-25 week group to 1 1.8% in the 36-40 week group. Low implantation or placenta previa was seen in 29.3% overall and 35.7% of cases that persisted to term. Other potentially predisposing
anatomic factors were encountered infrequently. Most incidentally discovered transverse fetal lies seem to be fortuitous and transient, but the likelihood of persistence increases as term approaches.

im fully expecting to go overdue, altho i no its going to kill me zanes driving me insane

Yeah Im def going over, she's been winding me up for weeks now can't see her being here anytime soon tbh.

Although saying that, at this time in my pregnancy with Seth (11pm the night before my due date) I had no inkling I'd be holding him just 9 and a bit hours later!! So I guess it can all change. I don't mind when she comes really I'm just terrified of being induced :/

xxx

even tho the hospital were awful to me the actual induction wasnt bad, but then again i was in early labour myself for 2 weeks and they broke my waters. altho this time im refusing induction unless its really needed. ive been told they "will let me" go 14 days over.

i just took for granted with zane i was able to veg around and do nothing to the lead up to his birth but this time im being dragged around and jumped on by a 3 yr old :(

even tho the hospital were awful to me the actual induction wasnt bad, but then again i was in early labour myself for 2 weeks and they broke my waters. altho this time im refusing induction unless its really needed. ive been told they "will let me" go 14 days over.

i just took for granted with zane i was able to veg around and do nothing to the lead up to his birth but this time im being dragged around and jumped on by a 3 yr old :(

Im sure its probably not that bad to be induced, I can just see it being one thing leading to another, and ending up needed assistance or c section or something. And I really don't want a traumatic experience. No one does I know. But if it means hanging on a few extra days for her to come to possibly avoid all the then so be it. I've been told the same thing about 14 days too but I want longer than that. I've heard it's meant to be quite painful but tbh the way my labour was with Seth I can't imagine the pain being any worse or more intense he came so quickly.

I know the feeling hun, I only have Seth myself 2 days a week now but it's really tough! Wouldn't change him for the world, and I'm lucky to have support from OH & inlaws but its still not very easy :( :hugs: coming your way! Hopefully not too much longer for you :hugs: xxx

zane goes to nursery 2 days a week now but then thats my chance to get the big things done. my mum helps when she can be bothered. zanes normaly pretty well behaved but today hes just been a git.
hopefully its not too much longer for u either! :)

Morning ladies,

Just a quick update from me at 6 weeks 'til EDD....

- I'm sadly still not 100% sure on the HB as our move in date to the new house has been put back again. We are now looking at 19th August, when I'll be 36+2. In theory this is plenty of time to sort things out, but the way things have gone so far I'm not banking on everything going smoothly so in the back of mind am trying to manage my expectations and keep the possibility of a birth centre floating around too.
- 34 week bump pic is in my journal (link in sig) on page 86 if anyone is interested.
- Heartburn is worsening to the extent where I am waking numerous times a night to gulp on Gaviscon and prop myself up.
- Baby is head down; currently ROA, with occasional twists to LOA.

There are a few posts in here I plan to come back and respond to later on; I'm beginning to feel 'qualified' enough to answer again having been out of touch with all things labour for quite a while! I aim to try and contribute to this thread a bit more in the next few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->