Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Have the scary consultant appointment tomorrow. Apparently he is very pro-natural birth and married to a midwife. Still..... don't think he is gonna just sit there and smile when I say I'm having a HBAC.

Arrggghhh! Why do some people feel the need to give their stupid opinions? I need ideas about a response to this. I don't want to offend but want to tell them that it's none of their business and that I don't agree. I put on my status that I had just bought a birth pool because I was chuffed and one of my friends wrote this:

I'm surprised you're gonna have the baby at home - if we had m at home she may not be here now and d and a had the same problem with t :)

I wanted to say that I am surprised that anyone would choose to have a baby in hospital but think they may find that too harsh. We're going to their wedding in a few weeks :wacko: How can I word a response??!!

maybe something like

what horrible bad luck youve had :)

(add the smiley then its not confrontational) or just ignore it and make your next status update some article on the horrible hospital stats. then theyre unrelated if she takes issue with it.

hmmm...

i would probably ask, um, do you scare-monger all moms-to-be, or just me?

but, then i'd probably be dis-invited to the wedding...

what a jerk!

Or add us as friends and we can say it all for you!

Can be like ooh great, won't be in a hospital exposing lo to infections or something

Pm me your fb like if you wanna ^^

It's a bloke too!! Grr :growlmad: DH has beaten me to it and put this:

We've thought about it long and hard Mate and it's not a decision we've taken lightly. We feel it will work best for K in making this a smooth and comfortable delivery

I don't think it's strong enough :nope:

Wait and see if they come back with more scaremongering. If they escalate it then wail on them.

some people are stupid and will never get the fact that giving birth is natural and doesnt need to be in a hospital. we all no it wasnt that long ago that every birth was a homebirth.

ur ohs response might not of been strong enough but he got the point across in a grown up way

How about this:
I wont have any unnecessary medical interventions at home, be forced to lay on my back (the worst position for giving birth) and have undue stress exerted on me and the baby from being in an unfamiliar and clinical environment. There's no risk of infection from other patients either. We can just get into bed straight afterwards and all go to sleep together with no uncomfortable car journey home. You also get at least one-to-one care (two-to-one when you get to 2nd stage) at home which you don't get in the hospital. What's there to be surprised about? If I was 'high risk' then maybe there would be a slightly stronger case for a hospital birth but I'm not ill, I'm having a baby!! ;)

What do you think?

I think is sounds great. I'm sure she will keep her mouth shut after that!:thumbup:

Perfect K!

GL celesse!! I was taking to a fab and rather good looking consultant the other evening who basically said women don't need doctors to give birth, or mws for that matter, 'babies just tend to come out'. He said 'they only need us when they are bleeding to death' which was rather blunt but I got his drift and he was very pro normal. I was very impressed and just on the verge of proposing or at least offering myself to him as a sex slave when he added 'but I dont agree with home births'.....ah well if only he'd kept his trap shut he was almost my perfect man! :lol:

:rofl: they always have a way of spoiling a good run don't they!!

Perfect K!

GL celesse!! I was taking to a fab and rather good looking consultant the other evening who basically said women don't need doctors to give birth, or mws for that matter, 'babies just tend to come out'. He said 'they only need us when they are bleeding to death' which was rather blunt but I got his drift and he was very pro normal. I was very impressed and just on the verge of proposing or at least offering myself to him as a sex slave when he added 'but I dont agree with home births'.....ah well if only he'd kept his trap shut he was almost my perfect man! :lol:

I thought you were supposed to be on holiday missus. You know, that thing where you relax, eat ice cream, go for long walks, doze on the sofa and watch crap films and daytime TV. Or is it a busman's holiday?

Re the facebook post: I would be tempted to ask how they knew that their baby wouldn't be here had they not been in hospital - would the same things have gone wrong at home, or were they a consequence of being stressed in hospital and pushed to follow the hospital's guidelines? Or I just wouldn't respond, it's far more infuriating for the other person that way!

I was going to leave it, but I was just so angry that I did post the comment that I put here. He's said nothing since :thumbup:

hope the consultant appointment went ok celesse

if i say anything bout planning a homebirth on my facebook and got any negative coments i wouldnt have to reply i have enough supporters to fight that battle for me lol including my mother

Mervs Mum I just had to laugh at your post. :haha: So funny. Men tend to not agree with home birth more. I think they are slightly afraid. They don't have the confidence of birth that women have. I am proud of my husband for being so home birth proactive. He kicks but when it comes to talking about home birth. Quite lovely. :)

This waiting game is actually kind of killing me. lol I know it was my idea not to see the Family practice doc until my second trimester but I really want to hear little ones heart beat.. Which I can't do until I tell my mom. :wacko: Which we aren't planning on doing until after my sister has her baby (end of august). :haha: Sorry needed to vent.

Consultant appointment was pretty hideous. An hour of being told home VBAC is dangerous, without acutally being told anything I didn't already know. And he seemed to side step a lot of questions. So after spending an hour being told its wrong I'd probably have caved and had myself admitted for hospital, if it wasn't for the realisation that he told me no new information. The examples he gave made it seem like all UR at home would end badly but that in hospital the risk wasn't there.

Only thing I haven't considered is the posibility of something going wrong and the baby being left disabled. But as OH said if something went wrong at home we'd blame ourselves for staying at home, but if something went wrong in hospital, we'd blame ourselves.

And apparently consultant led labour ward doesn't have any baths, admission to birthing unit isn't possible, as is water birth in hospital. So basically if I went in then I wouldn't be able to use water for pain relief.....which sucks a lot, and will massively sway me to staying at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->