Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

i doubt ile be posting my labour story anytime soon. i think ive got a wait on my hands as this is feeling so similar to zanes early slow labour

I thought that about willows labour but shecame the same day :thumbup:

well nothings happening just yet hahaha hopefuly he will suprise me n not take the piss like his brother lol

i think its just hit me that im having another baby, i got very scared then started to cry hahaha

Sending labour dust from sunny Cornwall moo.

I don't actually get back home till next Monday so you have a while yet!

i hope not to dissapoint u chuck and have corey by the time u get home lol

You'd better and it had better be awesome!

....do as you're told woman or you'll be in detention!

So apart from the consultant appointment going really crap and having spend an hour telling me nothing, he did say one thing that really stuck out.... There are no baths on labour ward at the RVI!!!Now I've always planned an open birth plan, in that plan for both hospital and home and decide on the day where I will feel most comfortable. There's lots of reasons I may want to go in on the day, from child care, to snow, to just not feeling right. And I think that it would be counter productive to stay at home if I don't feel right about it on the day.

I kind of had a little plan in my head for hospital that I'd get a CTG for half an hour, show them it was ok, then head for the bath until I was really starting to crack on. I'm sure the midwife would be have a little CTG VBAC talk at me, but if the bath was right there en suite and the CTG was fine it would be easy to talk her round. But lack of baths at the RVI totally buggers that up, and will make it much harder to be in control. I feel I'd be stuck on the bed or at furthest on the ball next to the bed with CTG because there wouldn't be anywhere else to go.

So after a bit of research I want to transfer my care to another hospital, the QE in Gateshead. Its a smaller unit, they have 5 out of 6 rooms ensuite and are closer to my inlaws for child care for LO.

But I'm not sure how to transfer and not sure what happened to the duty of care of home birth if I do. My midwife, who would be part of the team doing my home birth work out of the RVI. And if I had a home birth and had an emergency it would be the RVI that I would be blue lighted to.

Would I be able to book to both hospitals? The consultant made it quite clear that my home birth will never be supported and I would only get a midwife because of the duty of care. Would my community midwives still have that duty of care if I was booked to another hospital, or would that duty of care then fall to the midwives at the QE, who would then not come out cos its too far?

And another question, when you are home birthing agaisnt medical advise do you still get the birth pack and gas and air delivered in advance, or are you totally alone until you go into labour and make the call refusing to come in? (cos thats how the consultant made it sound).

Oh yeah and we are team blue! forgot to mention that with all the ranting.

ooh a boy :) snap!

my MIL said something classic today. I had been asked which hospital I was going to and said none hopefully, so it got into the home birth thing. I just kept it light as i cba arguing. She asked if I would transfer to a MLU and I said most likely not as if i transfer its probably going to be because of complications, but as long as theres none i plan to stay home. She replied with 'oh if its all normal youll go in to hospital then' um no, the exact opposite actually.

GAHH

Yes celesse you can book to another hospital but your local CMWs would come to the home birth. If you transferred in depending on the level of urgency you may still want to go to your first choice hospitsl ie the one with baths. The main thing is that you want to be able to go there anyway in the event of snow/not feeling right etc and for that you would ideally be booked with them. Just tell your CMW and they will arrange it. I've have friends and clients do this even when not planning a home birth and it's fine.

My mum said the samer thing about baths in the RVI - she had to go in to be induced as my little brother was poorly and needed to come out. She never got a bath until she got put on another ward because she lost so much blood :( That was nearly 11 years ago though absolutely shocking it's not changed by now!!

xx

Harrogate have baths but no hot water! I don't know what's worse?!

hello ladies, sorry havent had a chance to read all your posts but a quick update and hope you are all doing good

My yellow bump turned pink!! shes absloutely precious and we are head over heels with her!! :pink::cloud9: im really quite in shock as we have been calling the bump Leo for four months convinced it was a boy! we´ve named her Cleo and she arrived at exactly 2pm EST (8pm GMT) at home after 19 hours of drug free labour! contractions started the night of 2nd august, each night i had about 2 or 3 hours then they would go. then the night of the 4th they started building and at 7pm were regular. I will do a proper birth story when I get time and some energy, Im proud i acheived my homebirth but I really did struggle on the inside with fear of pushing (terrible fear she would be stuck so i was scared to start pushing) and think I delayed everything with my fear! all doing ok now but im shattered!

Enjoy your little girl jodie and well done! X

Congratulations Jodie - that's fantastic news - I'm so pleased for you :happydance:

Forgot to say - fantastic name too! :D

Congratulations, Jodie! So glad you had her at home! Well done! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->