Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

See I go away and we get 2 babies.

Clearly you girls need to buy me a holiday near your 42 week mark LOL!

Huge congrats ladies! So proud of you both rocking your HB's.

Moomin especially you never cease to amaze me with your strength, 4hours! Wow.

Ooooh congratulations Moomin - I'm so delighted for you that you got your homebirth :happydance:

See I go away and we get 2 babies.

Clearly you girls need to buy me a holiday near your 42 week mark LOL!

Huge congrats ladies! So proud of you both rocking your HB's.

Moomin especially you never cease to amaze me with your strength, 4hours! Wow.

um no christmas is expensive enough already

im going to poundland for my xmas presents this year. the place is amazing! sunglasses for £1 so I can afford to lose them every day!

Why is it when someone asks about HB on the main board one person always has to post about how someone they know had a HB and their baby died!, but no one does this on hospital birth threads? There is just the implication that if something goes wrong at home it is your fault, but if it goes wrong at the hospital, it is no ones.

because people like to feel superior for birthing in a modern hospital rather than at home in a mud hut along with the chickens like we all obviously will. We all know people who had freak things happen to them, doesnt mean we shy away from lamposts or whatever.

when ppl talk about ooh the wife is going into labour ive started saying oh get the birthing pool warmed up, or get your doula on the blower! why are they allowed to make comments like best get your hospital bag packed etc. Im making a stand.

Why is it when someone asks about HB on the main board one person always has to post about how someone they know had a HB and their baby died!, but no one does this on hospital birth threads? There is just the implication that if something goes wrong at home it is your fault, but if it goes wrong at the hospital, it is no ones.

They also never say whether it was a planned home birth or an unplanned birth that just happened to be at home. Unless you have been invovled in planning a home birth or work in maternity services you probably wouldn't think of asking if it was planned or not and just accept a home birth is a home birth.

There's a massive massive difference between a planned home birth and accidently having your baby at home. Having a baby at home "accidently" could follow a really really quick labour which can mean problems for the baby, or could be because the baby was early and mum didn't recognise it as labour until it was too late. And its likely to be unassisted, and not in a planned-unassisted-done-my-reseach kinda way.

I do feel like asking these posters, how well do you really know the woman in question, was it planned home birth, how many weeks gestation was she and what was the cause of death? But I dont want to be rude on the off chance it was a planned home birth at term of a close friend.

Also one of my OH's collegues said I shouldn't have a home birth because she had an (unplanned) home birth and it was horrible. Also she apparently said something about it being silly to want to labour in water as thats what pain killers and epidurals are for.

Also one of my OH's collegues said I shouldn't have a home birth because she had an (unplanned) home birth and it was horrible. Also she apparently said something about it being silly to want to labour in water as thats what pain killers and epidurals are for.

:dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh:

i think its just a whole different view of birthing. I plan to enjoy mine (as long as its non complicated, obv wont enjoy it if bubs gets into distress etc) even if its horrifically painful and takes a fortnight. Its a really special thing youre doing and some people just want to get the baby out and get on with things. Neither is right, just how we prefer to do things really.

same as pregnancy, its so special whats happening, i love every bit of morning sickness and backache as its something marvelous which needs to be attended to. Scary medical things like pre eclampsia are different ofc, but normal pregnancy niggles, I see em as part of the journey which Im gonna cherish.

Some see home birthing as mental as they cannot comprehend that anyone would willingly put themselves through that amount of discomfort. The way I see it is that yeah its not gonna be particularly nice at the symptom level but its not gonna happen every day and the experience as a whole will be felt as your body naturally will do it and you can look back and feel amazed that your body did something like that.

Midwife wouldn't do a sweep for me today as Molly's head isn't engaged at all.

I've booked in for induction next Thursday, 18th. It was my decision, and I wasn't pushed at all. Asked all my questions and made the decision myself.

I'm gutted tbh, but I still have a week anyways. So fingers crossed she's out before then!!

If not the midwife said I can push for a 'natural' (obviously apart from the fake hormones or giant knitting needle) waterbirth in the hospital which I fully intent to do should it come to that.

Just a bit disappointed and feel weak for agreeing to induction, but I just think that it's in both of our best interests probably.

xxx

i think its all about informed consent, some would be induced just because they say so. youve weighed up the pros and cons and decided whats best for you. dont feel bad about it :)

as you say tho, still got a week and you never know whatll happen

x

Celesse - Seriously?? Some people just need to be hit. lol

Cranberry - I COMPLETELY agree. :) That's how I feel too.

Linzi - It's common for the second not to engage. She still could of done a sweep as long as baby is head down. Is she worried about a pinched chord?? I would find someone else to do it. lol It really is a good way to get labor started. You know you can always do castor oil and vodka lol.

Oh really? I didn't know that she just said she wouldn't do it. I was half expecting them not to anyway just thought she might at least of done an internal so I knew if anything was happening. I tried myself but can't reach my cervix.

Im not trying castor oil but could manage a vodka I tell ya!! :) xxx

Celesse I also wonder if some of these home birth horror stories are uban myths....it's always 'well my friend knew a woman who's sister.....' very rarely you actually meet them or hear them first hand....I'm not saying it doesn't happen. It does. But as you said it happens just as often in hospital if not more and no one says anything.....I think some women find other women taking control of their own destinies intimidating or threatening because they (think) don't have the strength to do the same.....

Celesse I also wonder if some of these home birth horror stories are uban myths....it's always 'well my friend knew a woman who's sister.....' very rarely you actually meet them or hear them first hand....I'm not saying it doesn't happen. It does. But as you said it happens just as often in hospital if not more and no one says anything.....I think some women find other women taking control of their own destinies intimidating or threatening because they (think) don't have the strength to do the same.....

This is true. Kinda like rupture during V/HBAC. I have met one person who did rupture, and it was a bad one. But she had the support of her doctor, was in the hospital. When she was telling me her story, she didn't know I was planning to HBAC, and when I mentioned how rare rupture was, she said "I know, and my doctor reassured me of the same thing. I was just unlucky."

This is true. Kinda like rupture during V/HBAC. I have met one person who did rupture, and it was a bad one. But she had the support of her doctor, was in the hospital. When she was telling me her story, she didn't know I was planning to HBAC, and when I mentioned how rare rupture was, she said "I know, and my doctor reassured me of the same thing. I was just unlucky."

Just had pretty much that exact convo with my midwife - people are much more keen to talk about bad experiences than good ones.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->