Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Manda - the problem is that to really tempt fate you needed to be wearing old, faded, granny panties with some holes in them. :) Just kidding! Sending lots of labour juju your way.

We need to stop making these babies so comfortable.

I had a bit of an eek moment yesterday. We where going into town and whilst I was getting ready I realised I couldn't get my shoes on any more. I had gone from very slightly puffy feet, to balloon feet over night. So after changing into trainers and getting into town I got my BP checked by the nurse attached the pharmacy in Superdrug, BP was 145/90 up from an average of 120/75.
I called the MAU thinking, omg, they are gonna have me in and my BP will continue to be high and I'll have to be induced. Thankfully they weren't that interested and I just need to get BP re-checked on Monday. I think the high reading was probably a 1 off based on the fact that between home and town I had convinced myself my swollen feet where the start of pre-eclampsia, and the fact that before doing my BP the nurse made me promise I was going to call the hospital.

Puffy feet are all but gone today. So I think its just another of those late pregnancy things.

I had a bit of an eek moment yesterday. We where going into town and whilst I was getting ready I realised I couldn't get my shoes on any more. I had gone from very slightly puffy feet, to balloon feet over night. So after changing into trainers and getting into town I got my BP checked by the nurse attached the pharmacy in Superdrug, BP was 145/90 up from an average of 120/75.
I called the MAU thinking, omg, they are gonna have me in and my BP will continue to be high and I'll have to be induced. Thankfully they weren't that interested and I just need to get BP re-checked on Monday. I think the high reading was probably a 1 off based on the fact that between home and town I had convinced myself my swollen feet where the start of pre-eclampsia, and the fact that before doing my BP the nurse made me promise I was going to call the hospital.

Puffy feet are all but gone today. So I think its just another of those late pregnancy things.

With the swelling, they expect a bit. It's supposed to lean more towards PET if it's your hands and face that are swollen, I believe. I've got away with no puffiness whatsoever until yesterday. My fingers are ever so slightly puffy, just enough that I'm aware of my wedding band and engagement ring.

These period pains that I get seem to be more noticeable when I lie down. There's definitely more of them, so I hope he's moving in the right direction. That and sometimes some pressure in my bum. I do get more BHs than I ever did, but they never hurt (never have) - I only notice them because I can feel pressure in my bump and then notice that it's hard when I touch it.

Bouncing away on my ball today, as it's rainy outside. Down, baby! :thumbup:

This may be covered in this thread but it's so huge!

What happens to all the tests that baby usually has in the hospital with a home birth? For instance, the hearing test, the vit K injection etc?

What happens to all the tests that baby usually has in the hospital with a home birth? For instance, the hearing test, the vit K injection etc?

Vitamin K is done there and then (they bring it out - it's in my birth pack). If you opt for oral Vit K, you'll need to get repeat doses anyway.
As for the hearing test, for the Newborn Hearing Screening, they try to get all babies before they leave hospital, but they don't always manage. With those babies, they get an appointment to come back to hospital (in a clinic setting) for it to be done, so I imagine you'd have that or have it done in the community.

I don't get an option of vit K by injection. We have to have it orally. Don't know if this is a community home birth thing, or a Newcastle thing.... I think a Newcastle thing. I wanted her to have it via injection and am not looking forward to the faff of oral, which the midwife said is a daily dose for 6 weeks (??) I'm sure I must have heard wrong.

I don't get an option of vit K by injection. We have to have it orally. Don't know if this is a community home birth thing, or a Newcastle thing.... I think a Newcastle thing. I wanted her to have it via injection and am not looking forward to the faff of oral, which the midwife said is a daily dose for 6 weeks (??) I'm sure I must have heard wrong.

Can you not just go to the hospital for it afterwards hun? Everyday for 6 weeks seems a bit much..x

here we have certain mws who are trained to do all the checks the drs do in the hospital and as manda said you'd go for the hearing tests later. My lo had mucous in her ears so she didn't respond to the test the dr did at the birth centre so they let us go home and we went back a week later.

Hmmm. When we give it orally, it's only one or two more doses.

Hmmm. When we give it orally, it's only one or two more doses.

I thought it was as well. I am sure I must have miss heard the midwife. I really would rather have just had it as an injection and got it over and done with.

A daily dose for six weeks? :wacko:

We're doing it orally and it's only like 2 or 3 doses, otherwise I'd have to take it as a supplement daily (or at least twice weekly I read...) for her to get in breastmilk...

I have a Q about homebirth - if I were to tear, would the midwife repair it there and then, or would I have to go to hospital? If the first, do they provide local anaesthetic or would I have to man up and stick it out with no pain relief?

x

you'd need to check but you could use the g&a but I think you were having a problem getting that at home weren't you.... That's probably another thing to add to your list of interview questions for prospective mws :)

just a question....nightkd, have you considered coming home to have the baby? slightly different but I have a friend who is an aid worked in africa and has been for many years. She's come home with her germany hubby to have both her babies.

Just been onto the phone to my midwife about my BP and she isn't worried and will just check again tomorrow. She has told me that tomorrow we need to have the induction conversation and decide what to do. If anything she seems to be promoting going over and waiting for natural labour and I'll need a detailed scan if that's what I decide to do.

Does anyone know any good sites on inductions risks v going over risks?
Do they generally "allow" home birth at 42+ if natural labour?

Nightkd, there's Lidocaine, a syringe, needle and suturing kits as part of the homebirth kit that my midwife left. Ours here are definitely trained to perform episiotomies and suture them or tears, if needed.

hi im new to here! my babys due next week and ive not thought about a home birth till today when the midiwfe mentioned it! this is my first baby my oh isnt sure about having him at home! was any of your ohs worried about it?

how do you go about planning to have the baby at home?
what type of things do you need at home? have i left it to late/

i hate hospitals you see and im already using hypnobirthing i just like the idea that you dont have to stay in hospital after the baby if i have him at home! x

This may be covered in this thread but it's so huge!

Vit K was given by my mws @ home, we were given it at 37 weeks along with my birth pack and told to pop it in the fridge with the syntometrine they brought along (which we didn't use on my request). The paediatric check was done a few days later by a paediatrician at our local hospital.

Hi Sophxx.

My OH was worried about everything baby related. But once I explained that home birth when everything is normal is at least as safe as hospital he was ok with the idea. I think he will feel better being in his own environment as much as me especially if he feels stressed, or even bored. For instance he can sit on his pc and browse the web if I don't need him for anything.

My Birth Box has in it:
--Ikea cheapie shower curtains x6 for covering floor.
--Ikea cheapie throws for covering the shower curtains.
--hot water bottle
--aromatherapy oils and accessories
--towels
--baby clothes
--pads and knickers

I also have a big pack of supplies that the midwife brought around.

All I did to plan my home birth was to tell my midwife that's what I wanted and she took it from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->