Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

hi im new to here! my babys due next week and ive not thought about a home birth till today when the midiwfe mentioned it! this is my first baby my oh isnt sure about having him at home! was any of your ohs worried about it?

how do you go about planning to have the baby at home?
what type of things do you need at home? have i left it to late/

i hate hospitals you see and im already using hypnobirthing i just like the idea that you dont have to stay in hospital after the baby if i have him at home! x

For what it's worth (and anyone else's information), Vitamin K (Konakian in a glass ampule) does not need to be kept in the fridge. Mine isn't in the fridge, and the Vitamin K that we give at work, which is exactly the same, is kept in a normal drug cupboard.

Hiya homebirthers & hopefuls.

I haven't been on here for a while and the threads grown so much its way too much to catch up on...sorry i'm clearly really lazy aren't i?! lol
just wondered how everyone was doing? and who's popped lately?

Hope your all good x

Does anyone know any good sites on inductions risks v going over risks?
Do they generally "allow" home birth at 42+ if natural labour?

Try reading up here on the Home Birth Reference Site. It goes through it quite well and has lots of links.

My midwife had said they'd attend a home birth from 37-41.5 weeks, implying an "overdue" pregnancy wouldn't be attended. I think this is because they plan here to induce you from 40+10. If it comes down to it, I won't agree to an induction until at least 40+14, and if I go into labour in those four days between, I'll still call them out and expect them to turn up.

Hello all, thought you might like to know that I had my beautiful baby girl today!!!:cloud9:

She was born at home at 13:00hrs, wt 2720g (6lbs). Breastfeeding like a pro!

Everything went perfectly well, only used gas & air but it was hard work, physiological 3rd stage,no tears despite her coming out with her hands on her face, no complications throughout, I'm so happy!!! Had a fantastic mw & student.

Wishing you guys all the best & hope you achieve a great homebirth like I did.x.x.x.

Hello all, thought you might like to know that I had my beautiful baby girl today!!!:cloud9:

She was born at home at 13:00hrs, wt 2720g (6lbs). Breastfeeding like a pro!

Everything went perfectly well, only used gas & air but it was hard work, physiological 3rd stage,no tears despite her coming out with her hands on her face, no complications throughout, I'm so happy!!! Had a fantastic mw & student.

Wishing you guys all the best & hope you achieve a great homebirth like I did.x.x.x.

OMG wow!! YAYYAYAYAYAYAY :happydance::happydance:

Congratulations hun, I am so glad it went well you did it!! xxxxxx

Congratulations Cupcake!!! That is wonderful news!

congratulated you on your other thread but thought id do it here too! Well done and congrats!!

I have considered giving birth back in the UK, we've discussed it, but DH doesn't like the idea... He wouldn't be able to come with me, so we'd be apart for ages and he'd most likely miss the birth. I really need to get him to ring this midwife I'm in contact with for an appointment, she charges a flat fee of $2300 no matter how far into the pregnancy you are etc etc...plus I'm worried they'll be all booked up, as they won't take on people after they have a certain amount in a month...

Congrats Cupcake!! :D

Well done, Cupcake! Sounds wonderful! And congratulations!

I had my 40 week appointment today (everything fine, head 3/5 engaged!) and my stretch and sweep. She said my cervix was posterior but it very well may have started moving to a central position (she's never done a VE before on me), as she doesn't think she'd have been able to reach it if it was completely posterior due to her having short little fingers! My cervix was soft and 1cm long, so already starting to efface. I'd already dilated 1cm, so she thinks those period-type twinges I'd been having were doing something! She did the sweep (could feel his head!) and stretched me to 1.5cm. It wasn't exactly painful, just a bit uncomfortable. The soreness was gone soon after. She said we won't consider making that induction date that she'd mentioned last week, as she doesn't think I'll go that long. She's coming by tomorrow afternoon and Thursday morning to see if further sweeps would help.

I'm so thrilled that she feels that I won't make it far enough for them to bring up induction again. I've been having period-type pains since the sweep and occasional BHs and a new thing - a stronger period type pain accompanied by a tightening across the bottom of my bump. I think those just might be a bit closer to proper contractions. So, I'm happy my body's having a good practice. I'm in no rush and would be thrilled to have him this week!

Well done, Cupcake! Sounds wonderful! And congratulations!

I had my 40 week appointment today (everything fine, head 3/5 engaged!) and my stretch and sweep. She said my cervix was posterior but it very well may have started moving to a central position (she's never done a VE before on me), as she doesn't think she'd have been able to reach it if it was completely posterior due to her having short little fingers! My cervix was soft and 1cm long, so already starting to efface. I'd already dilated 1cm, so she thinks those period-type twinges I'd been having were doing something! She did the sweep (could feel his head!) and stretched me to 1.5cm. It wasn't exactly painful, just a bit uncomfortable. The soreness was gone soon after. She said we won't consider making that induction date that she'd mentioned last week, as she doesn't think I'll go that long. She's coming by tomorrow afternoon and Thursday morning to see if further sweeps would help.

I'm so thrilled that she feels that I won't make it far enough for them to bring up induction again. I've been having period-type pains since the sweep and occasional BHs and a new thing - a stronger period type pain accompanied by a tightening across the bottom of my bump. I think those just might be a bit closer to proper contractions. So, I'm happy my body's having a good practice. I'm in no rush and would be thrilled to have him this week!

YAY I am so thrilled to see this update looks like he is coming soon hun :happydance: I just wrote on your wall to ask you to update on your news..I hope you dont think Im a bossy parker :blush: x xx

good news manda :)

Nightkd - why can't DH come over here? work or legal reasons? the friend I mentioned, her hubby wasn't a uk resident and he came with her. Just thinking if it were a legal thing it might be worth doing a bit more digging about? :)

good news manda :)

Nightkd - why can't DH come over here? work or legal reasons? the friend I mentioned, her hubby wasn't a uk resident and he came with her. Just thinking if it were a legal thing it might be worth doing a bit more digging about? :)

Work. Unfortunately.. He had 5 days holiday up until last year, then got 10 days holiday because he's been there so long (this is days holiday per year, pathetic huh?!) and used it all for our trip to the UK... He's actually not entitled to any paternity leave, legally, but fortunately his boss is allowing him some time off...paid or unpaid, we're not sure yet! He definitely wouldn't be allowed/we couldn't afford for him to take any more days holiday and obviously I'd have to fly over to the UK a couple of months prior to my due date, because of the restrictions with airlines, and if he comes over JUST for the EDD, he might either miss the birth if Miss Bean turns up early, or have to go home before she's born if I go overdue...

It's a sucky situation really.

xx

Hmmm....shame. It's not looking like an option is it. Well I'd get in with a MW ASAP because that sounds like a good deal for an independent MW! Can you imagine how much you'd pay here! :lol:

hiya. just wondering if you can add me to your list of hb hopefuls? i am due 5th may. :thumbup: xxx thanks.

Hubby is comming round to the idea slowly. The only thing he keeps going on about is that we need to buy some cheap shower curtains lol (never mind gas n air, who will be there, what will mw bring with them, can they do epostomy (spelling?!) or transfer, bla bla etc etc, list goes on and on) xxx

Welcome! I'm sure MervsMum will add you when she sees this. By the pic, I'm guessing this is your third baby and first home birth? Do you know if it's a boy or a girl? (She'll put that on the list.)

Tell him that, yes, he can go get some cheap shower curtains or some dust sheets (that's what I got - from B&Q for £5 for 3 massive ones). And they can do an episiotomy there if they need to and sew you up as well, if needed. A few of the girls have listed what's been left at their home in their home birth pack, and some midwives then bring more things not in the pack (G&A, scales, etc. with mine). You'll have one midwife who will be joined by a second one when delivery is closer. And when you book your home birth, they'll go over reasons they would advise a transfer; and you can always decide to transfer yourself for any reason.

There's loads of information in this thread (even though I know it's very long!) and on the Homebirth Reference Site, which is in the OP.

Any more Labour signs Manda?
:dust:Labour Dust for us both :dust:

I'm off for my 40 weeks appointment (all my apps have been at Xweeks+6!). Today I have the fun of the induction talk and probably repeat iron and random glucose. Also curious to see what my BP and urine are doing as my feet ballooned on Saturday morning and BP was highish.
If everything is ok I intend to go past 42 weeks and be monitored. And its very comforting to know that my midwife would support this, as she suggested it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->