• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

He wasn't too bothered actually. I didn't care if he seen, with Thomas I was just glad he was there as he was upstairs when I started pushing and I was only pushing for about 2 mins before he came LOL.

I watched my friend give birth and I have to admit it really is an amazing experience! I suppose I will see more of it when I go for my midwifery course anyway :haha: xx

My DH doesn't want to cut the cord, and I doubt he wants to catch. I hope to have the baby delivered straight onto my chest, and DH should be "up there" with me.

BabyHaines, try not to worry too much at all about the resuscitation side of things. What MM said is exactly right. There's actually no need for baby to start screaming the place down like in the movies, and it's less likely with a less traumatic and minimal intervention birth anyway.

As for me, I've done it! All the baby stuff that I wanted/needed is here, washed, sorted and my home birth box is complete (apart from the old sheets and towels that I'll be getting from MIL on Saturday). Now, I just need a baby!

It took a while for Thomas to cry too. And Caitlin just never cried at all .. pity she wasn't like that now :rofl: xx

Hi All...

I'd love for my OH to want to get 'hands on' with the birth, but he's taking a neutral standpoint at the moment; not adverse, but not really keen either. I guess it depends on whether everything goes well and whether he'll have the chance to focus on baby or whether he's likely to get caught up looking after me.

If for any reason he doesn't want to do the catching or cutting, I think my sister will. We've asked her to attend too. She's a trainee midwife and already delivered quite a few babies on her own (with supervision of course) so I don't think she'd shy away.

We asked her to be there given the negative feeling we've had from my MW and hospital. I think she'll be the voice of reason in many ways and as a kind of 'thank you', it'd be nice for her to be involved in the birth of her niece rather than just be there to support me.

As ever though, I'm trying not to make too many plans incase they all fall through; and that's not me being negative - just realistic!

BabyHaines, I wanted a blinkie too. I had a look on the request subforum and found this: https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v609/sublime_envy/blinkies/?start=80 from RAFwife and this: https://www.babyandbump.com/blinkie...ies-blinkie-requests-updated.html#post2316405 from Irish_Eyes.

BabyHaines, I wanted a blinkie too. I had a look on the request subforum and found this: https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v609/sublime_envy/blinkies/?start=80 from RAFwife and this: https://www.babyandbump.com/blinkie...ies-blinkie-requests-updated.html#post2316405 from Irish_Eyes.

Yay!! Thank you!!

You are all right about not worrying, I just can't help it - I'd worry in hospital and I'd worry at home!! At least things will be calmer at home I hope. I've been reading through the homebirth.org website and it is very informative.

MandaAnda - is this your first?? Xx

Yep, first one! I feel confident about from the moment baby comes out, thanks to my job, but the whole pregnancy and actual labour/delivery bit freaks me out slightly because I know I can't precisely know what to expect. And I'm the type that likes to inform myself on a topic and know exactly what to expect and when it'll happen. :shrug:

Who is planning on getting their OH to catch/deliver their baby?

Is it their idea or yours?

If you have already had a HB, did your OH catch/delivery the baby?

:)

Oooh, I'll ask hubby tonight!! (Think I'll wait 'til he's finished eating his dinner - lol!!) He is sooooo pro HB that maybe he'll surprise me and be more hands on than I've ever imagined.
I know that I'd like him to cut the cord if poss. (once it stops pulsating). As I think it's a lovely touch for daddy's to be able to do this. I'd also like him to have some skin to skin after bubba's first BF, but I haven't talked through our birthplan yet - I shall quiz him tonight and let you all know!!xx

Yep, first one! I feel confident about from the moment baby comes out, thanks to my job, but the whole pregnancy and actual labour/delivery bit freaks me out slightly because I know I can't precisely know what to expect. And I'm the type that likes to inform myself on a topic and know exactly what to expect and when it'll happen. :shrug:

That is exactly how I feel!! I am not concerned about actually having lo here (I know some people are daunted by this) but I am more concerned with the whole pregnancy/labour thing as I feel it is out of my control....!!
I can't wait to have bubs here.....I just want to cuddle him/her!!xx

Who is planning on getting their OH to catch/deliver their baby?

Is it their idea or yours?

If you have already had a HB, did your OH catch/delivery the baby?

:)

I am!!!!!!!

He mentioned it once when we was having a laugh about it because as Maley's brith was so quick, we joked to each other that if this one is quicker, then he may well have to deliver the baby! He did not seem adverse to the idea at all!

I LOVE the idea of him catching/delivering the baby as to me it would be so special that her parents were the first ever people to touch her! and i would think it was amazing for bonding.

We arent setting it in stone as he may change his mind and i dont want him pressured so i have advised my MW to offer him to catch/deliver so he has a choice and see how he feels at the time.

My OH has two elder daughters from a previous relationship but Maley's birth was the first birth "down there" and he actually cried (and my OH is not a crier!) and im glad that he saw everything so this time he knows what to expect should he want to deliver/catch the baby.

It took a while for Thomas to cry too. And Caitlin just never cried at all .. pity she wasn't like that now :rofl: xx

I was at my sister's birth recently and her daughter did not cry straight away....they rubbed her back for a bit and she then started to cry! I have watched many births on the net and tv where the baby doesnt cry but is perfectly fine! Its stressful and tiring for them to birth aswell! Sometimes they are too knackered to cry!!

Caitlin certainly wasn't tired she was born with her eyes open! :shock: :rofl: Should have known then and there she was going to be trouble! :haha: x

The ONLY thing that i dont like about having a homebirth is.........wait for it.....and i know im shallow............is round here its unlikely you get your bounty packs that you get in hospital (new baby essentials and overnight essentials). My midwife said she will try but they dont exactly go overboard trying to get you some.

Seriously, me and OH had so much fun going through them and i loved all the miniture samples and wipes, soap powders!! :rofl: ....i am sad!!! LOL

Caitlin certainly wasn't tired she was born with her eyes open! :shock: :rofl: Should have known then and there she was going to be trouble! :haha: x

LOL.......Maley cried but not for very long...she just looked around as well! I really hope having a homebirth will help me to enjoy those first few moments more. With Maley i was so tired and just glad it was over (and i was in shock i think).

I have taken a more concious effort to enjoy this pregnancy and enjoy the newborn days as with Maley....i wished away the pregnancy and the newborn days. I was so impatient to meet her and then for her first smile, tooth, crawling etc. I want to really make the most of it this time.

I confess, I thought about the Bounty packs as well. I'll ask my midwife, but their site might have info. It does say:
How do I get this pack if I am having a home birth?
If your baby is born at home, your midwife will be able to obtain a pack for you.

I never even recieved one! But then again I wasn't too bothered to be honest x

Jamie was asked if he wanted to catch Oscar but I gave such a hard push he didnt have time to get there! I had a hand mirror held by the midwife so he could see as he was sat behind me but I have to say I didnt look.

As for cutting the cord he didnt want to last time and I think he will say the same this time. He said it feels like he is then the one severing the link between me and baby and he doesnt want to do that which is fair enough!

When I first mentioned it to DH he said no way. He's currently reading the Dr. Sears baby book and came home the other day and said he would actually like to try catching now! We figure we'll see how everything goes and hopefully he will be able to catch! (Or maybe even I will).

Is any one considering placenta encapsulation? I've been reading about it and decided to do it. I had my doula recommend someone for me. :)

A friend of mine did her own encapsulation - well her hubby did it actually. It looks pretty straight forward. I cant decide if I should do that or plant it in the garden with a tree for the baby.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->