Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Thanks all, I'll add some newborn stuff to the mix. I like the idea of looking like a crazy lady by holding baby clothes up to the bump!

I should add that I'm planning on using cloth nappies, so the huge fluffy bum factor will come in to play too!

I'm looking forward to my home visit with the midwife next week, and I have my first hospital based physio/antenatal class the day before too, as well as my final Hypnobirthing class - a very baby filled week.

I'm going to ask the midwife about transfer rates and reasons, who does my post-natal visits, what happens if I go overdue (scans etc), pros and cons of oral versus the jag for Vit K, and ask to meet the other possible midwife at my next appointment.

Can anyone else think of any other good things to ask?

My MW knows I want a homebirth but is not encouraging/supportive, and she said she would talk to me about it when I was 36w no sooner. :(

WTF? Did you ask why?

Good advice from Mervs Mum....I think I probably would've made a scene if I'd been told to wait until 36 weeks before even DISCUSSING a homebirth though :lol:

xx

Woops I really didn't mean for my last post to come out like that lol.. it was meant to be a reply to someone elses!! Nah she didn't say why but I really have done my research so I'm not worried about not being allowed one or having to convince her of that. I just can't be bothered fighting her so early - if she wants to discuss it after 36w then fine with me :)

My MW knows I want a homebirth but is not encouraging/supportive, and she said she would talk to me about it when I was 36w no sooner. :(

My midwife tried to pull this rubbish on me, untill I went to her seniors :). I have been planning my homebirth since 28 weeks. x

Update on me: Homebirth all booked, the midwife came out to me today and my fiance showed her the room layout and then the nursery. Bless him, I think he is really proud.

One question though, did your midwives say they would come out to you from 37 weeks? My midwife said she would BUT only at 37 weeks and 6 days..which is not what the head of community midwives said. The reason why I am asking is because I have been feeling periody lately..and she said it sounds like my cervix is beginning to soften. Im so hoping this baby holds on till then..:wacko:

Great news on getting your HB sorted out and booked! :)

I can't help on the 37 week thing... but I will send lots and lots of stay put for another 2 weeks 5 days juju to you and Abigail.

37wks here so you might wanna check she's not trying to pull a fast one ER. x

37 weeks here too.

A random question occurred to me last night in bed. When I had my son, we were told there was no point in getting an early discharge as all babies had to be seen by the paediatrician in the first 48 hours and that if we went home we'd have to bring him back to the hospital the next day anyhow. What happens about paediatrician checks for home births? I really don't want to be traipsing up to the hospital, especially as we don't have a car.

37 weeks here too.

A random question occurred to me last night in bed. When I had my son, we were told there was no point in getting an early discharge as all babies had to be seen by the paediatrician in the first 48 hours and that if we went home we'd have to bring him back to the hospital the next day anyhow. What happens about paediatrician checks for home births? I really don't want to be traipsing up to the hospital, especially as we don't have a car.

Don't worry about that - MW will sort it all for you. I didn't have to make a single appointment myself and didn't have to go anywhere in the first week, they all came to me! Which was a blessing. (not that we were hermits, it's just nice not to HAVE to go anywhere) We had the MWs come out to us every couple of days in the first week.

You don't have to see a PeadT. My GP came out to see us at home on the Monday after baby was born for her newborn baby examination (he would have done the next day, but it was the weekend) It's all basic checks; testing of pupil dialation, looking at there genitals, listening to the heart, hips, if they have all their reflexes working fine, and making sure they have 10 fingers and toes! :thumbup:

I did have to go to hospital with her to have the hearing test done (I know some ladies on here, who have even had that done at home), but that was about at a week old.

Check with your MW, she will know what it is like in your area.. as it maybe different, but I hope not!
xxxx

That sounds great, I hope it's the same here. I know we won't have to go in for the newborn hearing test as in our area the health visitor does it at home. :thumbup:

Some areas do say 38 weeks onwards (I know someone who'd planned a home birth in Scotland who'd been told that). But we all know that a baby is considered term from 37 weeks, so if it were me that went into labour after 37 weeks but before 38 weeks in a 38 week + area, I'd still insist on staying at home and someone coming out to me.

Back home from the hospital and all ok. The scans showed placenta/cord function normal but they cant measure his tummy again till next week.....

Sid was happy - playing with his feet! :cloud9: After the scan the Dr managed a sweep and said I was 1-2cm so at least things have progressed in just under a week. I was 1-2cm at this point with Hebe and she was still 10 days away so I know it doesnt mean anything. I have to go back again next thursday for repeat scans.....Dr's note reads 'OK for home delivery if labours between'..... Let's hope I do! :D

Regarding the paediatrician check up. here we have certain MWs who are able to do the check so if one is at your delivery then they will and if not they'll get them to you the following day :)

Ohh!!!!! That is fantasic news Mmum!!!!!! Having a late scan is really nice isn't it? Although they are so big, you can only see bits of them at a time! My LO was sucking her thumb at 39wks.

I'm tickled pink for you!

The sweep worked for me - Fingers crossed it does the biz for you too!
xxxxx

Well it certainly stirred things up because we had to pull over on the way home so OH could take over the driving.....curry for tea tonight and maybe some rumpy pumpy for afters if I can convince OH....:lol:

Well it certainly stirred things up because we had to pull over on the way home so OH could take over the driving.....curry for tea tonight and maybe some rumpy pumpy for afters if I can convince OH....:lol:

Look at you driving about! :happydance:

We also tried sex.. but it was a bit of a farse! and we just about managed to stop laughing long enough to get serious about it! My OH kept saying things like: "I don't know how on earth this baby is going to get out, because I can't bloody get in!" :haha:
xxx

"I don't know how on earth this baby is going to get out, because I can't bloody get in!" :haha:
xxx

OMG :rofl: that's so hilarious!!!!

Hi I'm glad I found this thread!

We're hoping for a hypnobirth - homebirth!

:)

Due on the 8th of October and currently on team yellow. Not for long though cause we want to know what it is!

It's our first baby after 6 long years ttc!

Yeah, it was logistically a bit hard work - we tried spoons, and then I opted for me on top!

Aww congratulations - 6 years, you must be so over the moon! The hypno stuff sounds fantasic - wish I would have known about it before LO arrived.
Huge welcome, I really hope you find the thread useful and supportive - it has to be one of the friendliest ones on BnB (but that is just my bias!)
xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"