Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Hi everyone!

Im hoping to have a homebirth, am going to speak to my midwife about it this week. This is my first baby, and im on team blue! Ive already been in hospital twice due to bleeding, and am wondering if i can still have a homebirth after this? They didnt actually do anything in hospital, other than monitoring me & bubs.

But seeing the labourward in action for those 3 nights has made me more convinced than ever to have a home birth. They're just so understaffed there- the labouring women (that i saw) were left for on average an hour to an hour and a half without anybody there. i think you're more likely to get better care at home?

I dont know any1 whose had a homebirth, n every1 i tell keeps telling me im stupid for even considering it... but i really see it as the safer option: am i being naive??

I am borderline anaemic when I'm not pregnant. I tried Spatone and Floradix without much success so I've given in and am on the regular iron tablets. I havent had my levels checked recently but I've been about the 10 mark all the way through. No one has mentioned me not having a HB so far with regards to my iron levels. It does sound a little like your MW is lining you up to not 'allow' you your HB.......getting it in about staffing levels and your iron. Try not to be disheartened hun. Staffing shouldnt be an issue no matter what they are obliged to attend you and the iron levels you have to decide for yourself if you think it's a good enough reason to not go ahead.:)

Just to say that my levels dropped to 9 with Oscar and I found a canny way around that being used against me....I refused to have my blood taken! No iron results, no 'refusal' on that basis. Just thought i'd mention!

Hi everyone!

Im hoping to have a homebirth, am going to speak to my midwife about it this week. This is my first baby, and im on team blue! Ive already been in hospital twice due to bleeding, and am wondering if i can still have a homebirth after this? They didnt actually do anything in hospital, other than monitoring me & bubs.

But seeing the labourward in action for those 3 nights has made me more convinced than ever to have a home birth. They're just so understaffed there- the labouring women (that i saw) were left for on average an hour to an hour and a half without anybody there. i think you're more likely to get better care at home?

I dont know any1 whose had a homebirth, n every1 i tell keeps telling me im stupid for even considering it... but i really see it as the safer option: am i being naive??

Sorry to hear you have had a hard time with bleeding etc...I cant really comment as to whether it would affect a homebirth decision as I suppose it would depend on if there was a concern as to why you bled?

If it was 'normal' bleeding I cant see it being an issue but maybe some of the other ladies on here will be able to offer more advice. Id certainly speak to your midwife about it.

As for being naiive I dont think you are. I had to go to the labour ward for monitoring a couple of times when pregnant with my first and it made me more determined than ever to have my homebirth...which I did. :)

Hello to all, old and new :)

Have been offline for a few days as have had to have a big reorganisation involving flat pack furniture and lots of moving around. Oscar and Freddie (poss name choice, what do you think?) will have to share a room so needed to make more space.

Anyhoo, quick update. Had my app at the physio on fri and definately have SPD :( They fitted me with a support belt but honestly didnt feel comfortable in it and so I have a MAHOOSIVE bit of tubagrip that goes from lower bump to boobs...very sexy!

Have another appointment on Friday to see if it makes any difference.

Also, on the note of Iron which has been mentioned recently, does anyone know when they first check this? I have a midwife app on tues and have a feeling it was about 28/9 weeks last time.

Hi, please can I join? Due on 10th April, our first baby, hopefully to be born at home.

Hey girls....quick question......has anyone had a glucose check and when did you have it.....the past 4/5 days have been feeling sick, dizzy and faint and unbelievably thirsty and tired......symptoms of gestational diabetes??

I woke up yesterday at 9am.....went back to bed at 11.30am and slept until 6pm!! Same today!! Although it has to be said im not sleeping great at night....

an im so thirsty.....literally glass after glass after glass.....

Havent seen my mw for over a month.....due to see her on 30th March but not sure to wait or see a doctor?

Oh....and anyone find themselves they cant breathe when sitting or laying down.....im finding it really hard to breathe....

Sorry for the moaning post....

Hi everyone!

I had some bleeding at 8, 13, 19 & 24 weeks and was still supported to have a home birth (or home labour/ hosp birth as it turned out). My midwife said some women just have juicy cervix and warned me that if bleeding during labour was excessive and they couldn't tell where it was from I would need to go in.

Thought I would add a pic of my baby. Still working on birth story. I keep getting interrupted with feeding and visitors, however writing it is giving me a good opportunity to reflect on the experience.

Also I have decided I like the word "Supported", much better than the word "Allowed" when it comes to discussing birth choice.

Hopefully this thread will still be active when I have baby #2 and try plan my home VBAC!! :winkwink:

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 14
Hey girls....quick question......has anyone had a glucose check and when did you have it.....the past 4/5 days have been feeling sick, dizzy and faint and unbelievably thirsty and tired......symptoms of gestational diabetes??

I woke up yesterday at 9am.....went back to bed at 11.30am and slept until 6pm!! Same today!! Although it has to be said im not sleeping great at night....

Havent seen my mw for over a month.....due to see her on 30th March but not sure to wait or see a doctor?

Oh....and anyone find themselves they cant breathe when sitting or laying down.....im finding it really hard to breathe....

Maybe you could call your midwife and get her to come out and visit. :hugs:

I had gestational diabetes, although quite mildly. Some of the things you're describing, is defiantly the way that I felt at the same stage in pregnancy (I was diagnosed at about 34wks) However, I couldn't say whether that was because of the GD or just because of the last stages of pregnancy?? (I did have a very sweet tooth for a while too!)

Make a Drs appointment and take a wee sample with you - your dr can then test it there and then to see if there is any glucose in your urine. I wouldn't go for the Glucose Tolerance test at the hospital unless you have some evidence in your urine - even if it is offered.

My reasoning is that being diagnosed with GD was a real nightmare. It was thrown in my face by my Obst, Dietician and Endocrinologist (and the associated nurses) I had to do fingerprick tests of my blood sugars before and after every meal. (all of which were normal, i have to add - making me wonder if I REALLY ever had it?) Also I changed my diet as I could risk having a big baby - as that would have meant me deciding to go into hospital. So for the final weeks I was more or less on a Atkins type diet (low carbs, low sugar - but lots of veg and meat) Plus, you might think that you have allot of appointments NOW to go to, but add in all the others they send you for, if you have GD!!! I was up the hospital twice a week, every week, and also seeing my MW once a week! It wasn't fun at all!

See what your urine comes back as, and then go from there. Of course if you do have glucose in your urine, then get the GTTest done - but be prepared for a massive fight on your hands if you want a HB. Not that it is impossible - as I fought it all the way, and did get my HB.

Let us know how you get on - I'll certainly be here to support you if you do have GD and want a HB! :hugs:

xXx

Celesse - ohhh how cute is she??!! Abigail's eyes are totally absorbing! She is very alert!
xx

Celesse, Abigail is beautiful :cloud9:

Rachiebaby, I had my GD test done at 28 weeks x

Back from the consultant MW.

She went through all my notes and long story short she says she agrees that induction would have been an over reaction at 37+4 and I did right to stick to my guns. She said to see what the growth and doppler scan says on thursday and take it from there. She put lots of notes on my record for the MWs who would come out to me at home so they arent put off by all the extra stuff the Dr has been doing. She said so long as I am happy to be at home she thinks there is no reason to have him anywhere else.

She asked me if there was anything she could do to help me and I said 'I'll have a stretch and sweep!' half jokingly.....so she said no probs lets see if we cant get this baby to come before thursday!

Still 1-2cm and soft. She could feel his head and my water bag tensing as I had a tightening. She gave me the most thorough S&S ever! Not painful, mildly uncomfy at worst but she was up there a while!!

If you find yourself being pushed around by consultants over your HB plans I would definitely recommend speaking to a consultant MW if your hospital has such a thing. :)

Celesse Your little girl is adorable. so angelic :)
MM Glad things went ok for you sending you loads of labour luck.
I'm so sad can't wait for MW app on wed just so I can be all smug Pregnancy makes you sooooo wicked LOL

She went through all my notes and long story short she says she agrees that induction would have been an over reaction at 37+4 and I did right to stick to my guns. She said to see what the growth and doppler scan says on thursday and take it from there. She put lots of notes on my record for the MWs who would come out to me at home so they arent put off by all the extra stuff the Dr has been doing. She said so long as I am happy to be at home she thinks there is no reason to have him anywhere else.

She asked me if there was anything she could do to help me and I said 'I'll have a stretch and sweep!' half jokingly.....so she said no probs lets see if we cant get this baby to come before thursday!

Still 1-2cm and soft. She could feel his head and my water bag tensing as I had a tightening. She gave me the most thorough S&S ever! Not painful, mildly uncomfy at worst but she was up there a while!!

If you find yourself being pushed around by consultants over your HB plans I would definitely recommend speaking to a consultant MW if your hospital has such a thing. :)

Thats excellent news :happydance: how exciting that your LO will hopefully be arriving in the next few days

Wow your consultant midwife sounds great! Let's hope the stretch and sweep works! :happydance:

My plans for a home birth may be flying slightly out of the window, as I was rushed to hospital this evening to be monitored for possible pre-eclampsia. The midwife came round this evening to go through my home birth plan and found protein in my urine, odema and slightly raised blood pressure. I don't fit into any of the risk categories so the doctor thinks it would be very unusual for me to have it, but wants to keep a very close eye on me for the next few days/weeks. I'm going back tomorrow morning for more monitoring. Too tired to research and find out exactly what this means for home birth tonight, but am happy just to go with the flow for the moment. Also, just after they took me off the monitor I also had about five quite painful contractions and am still having the occasional niggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->