Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Its really easy I've been putting it off as i thought it would be a huge fuss... But no. There was an electric pump to inflate and deflate it in the box (hadn't even opened it to see what was inside!!!:wacko:)
It took about ten minutes and half of that was convincing my daft dog it wasn't for him!!:dohh:
I also found a new thermometer in the box,a dust shhet, shower curtain, a hose and tap conector to fill it with and an electric pump that fits the hose to empty it out with... Our idea was to put it next to the french doors in the living room and tip it up :dohh::nope:
Though I have to say I'm even more fed up now as I know its just a matter of waiting for madam to make her appearence:sleep:

I know how you feel..im already fed up but next week wed I can make my fed up ness official :) Hang in there hun x x

I don't know how long these fella's think their shlongs are and how the check they will get up a cervix but it does seem to worry them!! :haha:

x

:rofl:!!!

I already checked that DH won't be freaked out, he asked me why he would be... He put that baby up there, he can damn well help get it out!!! :haha:

I thought we needed a link to this birth story in here - for all 'high risk' home birthers... :)

https://www.babyandbump.com/birth-a...300361-homebirth-despite-being-high-risk.html

I read that earlier and thought the same :thumbup:

Started reading the book this morning properly and am half way through already, it is great, I am really enjoying it so thank you so much for lending it to me.

Just let me know who to send it on to and I will post when I'm done.

We are so set on a HB now, so set that I am surprising myself with how strongly I feel about it actually...we have our next Hypno session on Monday evening which should be good hopefully.

xxx

:happydance: i just won my birthpool on ebay :) and a quick question does anyone know where i can get milton solution to clean it?

Any supermarket will have it down the baby isle hun :)

Which pool did you get? :D

Hope you are all well and everything is going to plan for you all.

I have finally finished my birth story https://www.babyandbump.com/birth-a...irth-transfer-c-section-birth-story-long.html

I think the bit I would want to share most with those of you planning a home birth is the transfer bit. The thought of transferring into hospital from a home birth can seem very scary and disappointing, but my experience it was a necessity of which i was in control. Everything was very relaxed, in spite of the blue light ambulance.

So below is extract from full birth story of the transfer part of the labour:
4:00pm: Examined and am now 5cm dilated. Other observations also done. Foetal heart appears to be high but the Doppler doesn’t have a display screen. It’s counted by one of the midwives and is approx 145-150.
My BP is high at 160/90. And my pulse is also up a bit.

Decide to wait and check again. I spend some time on the ball, with a bit of gas and air at the peak of contractions.

4:30pm: BP rechecked and still high. Foetal heart still high.

Over the course of the next 20 or so minutes a very close eye is kept on the foetal heart, monitoring through contractions, and using a Doppler with a display screen. Foetal heart 165-170 but dips to 135-140 during contractions.

My BP is 165/105, my pulse is high. As I have taken paracetamol for pain they are unable to tell if I have a temperature as it is suspected that the high foetal heart rate is because of infection and a high maternal temperature would also be indicative of this.

Whilst listening into the baby a look goes between me and the 2 midwives, which is missed by the rest of the family there which is basically the knowledge look of something not quite right. Before they can say anything to me I say “we are going in, aren’t we?”
It’s clear from what can be heard with the Doppler that the baby is struggling, but the extent of this cannot be ascertained at home and we need to go onto the CTG as soon as possible. The midwives decide not to risk waiting for a normal transfer into hospital and that me and the baby need to be in now and therefore a blue light ambulance is the only way to go.

Whilst waiting for the ambulance I discuss the plan. I request that I get an epidural as soon as possible after getting into the hospital. I don’t feel I need it for the pain, but have a number of reasons I feel it is now the most suitable method of pain relief.
-- I am aware that the chances of instrumental delivery or C-Section are high due to the foetal heart rate at this stage of labour. I would rather an epidural than a general anaesthetic for a section, or a local for an instrumental.
--Since I am going to be monitored I won’t be able to mobilise which has been helping a great deal with pain relief.
-- I want to be in control since I will be in hospital as I am aware that further decisions will need to be made as the labour will now be medially managed.
--I am aware the epidural will help with the high BP.

5:00pm: I decide that its best if OH goes with MIL and my mum to the hospital and meets me there and that I will travel with the midwife.

Transferred to hospital in the ambulance with blue light an sirens blazing as we go through a busy part of Newcastle during rush hour. The ambulance has Gas and Air and I am happily chatting away in the back to the midwife and the paramedic. Everything is very calm and stress free and I feel fully in control of what is happening.

Hi. Have had 3 home births and there wasn't much mess at all, honestly! it was something my OH was worried about, but was surprised how little there was. The MW's are well prepared and clear everything away. Recommend having a number of old shower curtains to line the floor/bed/sofas with, depending where you give birth, if not in a pool.

yay!!! Alfie will be able to help you test it out! :D

i know i cant wait for it to get here so we can do the trial run and me and alfie can have a good play in it :) he LOVES the water and he can have a great summer in it too :D

Hope you are all well and everything is going to plan for you all.

I have finally finished my birth story https://www.babyandbump.com/birth-a...irth-transfer-c-section-birth-story-long.html

I think the bit I would want to share most with those of you planning a home birth is the transfer bit. The thought of transferring into hospital from a home birth can seem very scary and disappointing, but my experience it was a necessity of which i was in control. Everything was very relaxed, in spite of the blue light ambulance.

So below is extract from full birth story of the transfer part of the labour:
4:00pm: Examined and am now 5cm dilated. Other observations also done. Foetal heart appears to be high but the Doppler doesn’t have a display screen. It’s counted by one of the midwives and is approx 145-150.
My BP is high at 160/90. And my pulse is also up a bit.

Decide to wait and check again. I spend some time on the ball, with a bit of gas and air at the peak of contractions.

4:30pm: BP rechecked and still high. Foetal heart still high.

Over the course of the next 20 or so minutes a very close eye is kept on the foetal heart, monitoring through contractions, and using a Doppler with a display screen. Foetal heart 165-170 but dips to 135-140 during contractions.

My BP is 165/105, my pulse is high. As I have taken paracetamol for pain they are unable to tell if I have a temperature as it is suspected that the high foetal heart rate is because of infection and a high maternal temperature would also be indicative of this.

Whilst listening into the baby a look goes between me and the 2 midwives, which is missed by the rest of the family there which is basically the knowledge look of something not quite right. Before they can say anything to me I say “we are going in, aren’t we?”
It’s clear from what can be heard with the Doppler that the baby is struggling, but the extent of this cannot be ascertained at home and we need to go onto the CTG as soon as possible. The midwives decide not to risk waiting for a normal transfer into hospital and that me and the baby need to be in now and therefore a blue light ambulance is the only way to go.

Whilst waiting for the ambulance I discuss the plan. I request that I get an epidural as soon as possible after getting into the hospital. I don’t feel I need it for the pain, but have a number of reasons I feel it is now the most suitable method of pain relief.
-- I am aware that the chances of instrumental delivery or C-Section are high due to the foetal heart rate at this stage of labour. I would rather an epidural than a general anaesthetic for a section, or a local for an instrumental.
--Since I am going to be monitored I won’t be able to mobilise which has been helping a great deal with pain relief.
-- I want to be in control since I will be in hospital as I am aware that further decisions will need to be made as the labour will now be medially managed.
--I am aware the epidural will help with the high BP.

5:00pm: I decide that its best if OH goes with MIL and my mum to the hospital and meets me there and that I will travel with the midwife.

Transferred to hospital in the ambulance with blue light an sirens blazing as we go through a busy part of Newcastle during rush hour. The ambulance has Gas and Air and I am happily chatting away in the back to the midwife and the paramedic. Everything is very calm and stress free and I feel fully in control of what is happening.

Wow you sound like you stayed very relaxed with the blue lights i dont think i could :) on a good note from me though i live 4mins and 17sec (by car on a normal day) from the hospital.

thanks hun. i got the birth pool in a box 'eco' regular. :)

This is the one that I had - and it was great!

I have a pictures of my OH testing it out.... both for labour, and just relaxing (looking at rugby scores of course)!!!! :haha:
xxxx

Attachments

• IMGP0536.jpg
    IMGP0536.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMGP0530.jpg
    IMGP0530.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 16
Celesse - I loved reading your birth story, despite not getting your home birth it sounds like you were able to stay very much in control of your birth experience. :thumbup:

I've been having contractions since 5am this morning, so am sitting here bouncing on my ball and sipping raspberry leaf lemonade. Discovered that the boost button on my TENS machine doesn't seem to be working, so having to flick the switch to manually change it from continuous to boost mode. :(

My midwife only took my blood yesterday evening, so we won't get the results until tomorrow. :dohh: But as it was 9.8 two weeks ago and 9.9 a week ago, I'm pretty confident it will be above 10 now. So when it's time to call the hospital I'll just be asking for a home birth and will explain the situation when the midwife arrives. At least then they'll have to come out and see me rather than trying to dissuade me over the phone!

Celesse you sound so calm...dont think i could have :thumbup:

I wish i lived closer to the hospital i live about 20 mins away kinda worries me more than anything else :nope:

Loving your OH in the pool i can see mine being used for that :dohh:

freckleonear Good Luck!!!!

We're 20 mins away Sarah. If you think that the MWs will probably be over cautious and do things a bit quicker when you're at home, they will factor the 20mins in to any decision making. :)

The hospital I have chosen is 40mins away, maybe I need to re-think this and chose a closer hospital

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->