Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

I went to see Kick-Ass last night and that got pretty uncomfortable, as the film is about 2 hours long. The baby kept wiggling at the exciting bits, so I was obviously sending lots of adrenaline to it! I highly recommend the film, so long as you don't mind comic book style violence and some serious swearing. And I can see how the thought of tube and sitting in show for that long might not be attractive! Could you get a taxi back if you needed to?

We are off to do a visit of the hospital birthing suite tonight which I am feeling a bit weird about. I want to see the hospital facilities in case I end up there, so that I can still try and feel calm and in control and keep doing the hypnobirthing techniques no matter what. Our hypno-instructor said that her labour stalled when she found she couldn't use the birth pool as planned at her birthing centre. She hadn't thought that would happen and having to re-adjust her view of how the birth would happen really threw her for a short while, her contractions practically stopped, until she got herself back in the zone. So I want to be prepared.

But equally I feel a bit weird about going in there, having chosen not to use it. I'm sure it will be fine, but I feel a little apprehensive.

I know exactly how you feel!

I also, on my MWs recommendation, went to see the both the birthing centre and the hospital facilities - I felt a little uneasy about it.

I didn't mind the birthing centre; it had some soft furnishings, and felt more like a home from home.

The hospital , was as expected, very clinical - and there really didn't appear to be any options for birthing positions, other than on the narrow bed. There were 20 odd "birthing suites" and one birth pool. Though, I knew if I was going to transfer into hospital then, the pool wouldn't be an option for me.

What I found hardest about the whole experience, was to keep my mouth shut! There were about 6 other women and their partners who were in the group, and I felt like a traitor in there mitts. I so wanted to point out about little things like, one to one care, birthing positions.. even the lighting, but I didn't and managed to keep my thoughts to myself - but boy, I didn't stop talking about it to my OH when I got home!

I was pleased I went, if only to confirm how I felt about planning my HB.. and also IF I had to go in, it wouldn't be so alien to me.

Bournefree - I found my visits to the hospital for various growth scans etc. did the same for me - just served to convince me even more that HB was definitely the right way for me :)

What I found hardest about the whole experience, was to keep my mouth shut! There were about 6 other women and their partners who were in the group, and I felt like a traitor in there mitts. I so wanted to point out about little things like, one to one care, birthing positions.. even the lighting, but I didn't and managed to keep my thoughts to myself - but boy, I didn't stop talking about it to my OH when I got home!

I was pleased I went, if only to confirm how I felt about planning my HB.. and also IF I had to go in, it wouldn't be so alien to me.

Thanks for this reply! And you too MM.

And that 'problem keeping your mouth shut' thing was me at my hospital based antenatal classes! I will try and keep my blood pressure down about it all tonight, if it is anything similar!

They are very good compared to some places I think, but there is still a slightly conveyor belt feeling about it all. Which, yes, does convince on the HB=right decision thing. I only want to be in hospital if I have to be. And I (and they) will only know that once it all kicks off.

Thanks!

Hi ladies, well just 10 days to go (officially) but I woke this morning at about 3am in pain..... to sleepy to work out what sort of pain at first. When I had woken up abit I realized it was stomach ache type pain and couldn't settle back to sleep:growlmad:
The pain stayed there constant but kept having bouts of it becoming worse.... poor hubbys first day working furthur away too so he didn't know weather to leave me, but convinced him I'd b ok.
Had lots of dioriah??? can never spell that word:dohh: sorry for the TMI
and just generally felt really crappy all day. Still having the odd twinge but they feel low down and sort of in my hips??? I feel really heavy down below. But I think it maybe things getting ready. Have to say though little madam has calmed down alot today, she was moving almost constant yesterday and today just the odd wiggle.
Sods law there goes another one, just when I thought things had settled:shrug::shrug:
I don't think anything is happening just things getting ready but it's such a tease I just wish I knew thats it's nothing or things are imminant. Hope everyone else is doing well and feeling good .... not too fed up. If anything does come of this I'll update but for now it's just fingers crossed:wacko::wacko::wacko:

Hi ladies, well just 10 days to go (officially) but I woke this morning at about 3am in pain..... to sleepy to work out what sort of pain at first. When I had woken up abit I realized it was stomach ache type pain and couldn't settle back to sleep:growlmad:
The pain stayed there constant but kept having bouts of it becoming worse.... poor hubbys first day working furthur away too so he didn't know weather to leave me, but convinced him I'd b ok.
Had lots of dioriah??? can never spell that word:dohh: sorry for the TMI
and just generally felt really crappy all day. Still having the odd twinge but they feel low down and sort of in my hips??? I feel really heavy down below. But I think it maybe things getting ready. Have to say though little madam has calmed down alot today, she was moving almost constant yesterday and today just the odd wiggle.
Sods law there goes another one, just when I thought things had settled:shrug::shrug:
I don't think anything is happening just things getting ready but it's such a tease I just wish I knew thats it's nothing or things are imminant. Hope everyone else is doing well and feeling good .... not too fed up. If anything does come of this I'll update but for now it's just fingers crossed:wacko::wacko::wacko:

Oh wow, things are DEFINATELY hotting up Dee!! Im going to wish you lots of labour dust ..:hugs: x x

Thanks for the hypnobirthing book recommendations ladies - will definitely get on and purchase one now!

MM - have saved your birth story as a favourite and will read it later when have more time to digest!

Deej23 - looks like something is occurring!! Fingers crossed!

Eternal Rose - my sister is in Avenue Q for another week or so before she leaves. If you want cheap tickets PM me what day you would like them for and will see if she can get them for you. It is not your normal musical but very funny!!

Have been discharged from the midwife today. She gave me some strong hints that a home VBAC would probably be ok next time, in a not meant to say anything kinda way. We are planning to TTC #2 in August/September time so hopefully I will be rejoining the list at some point later this year. Not 100% sure what we will do yet, but plenty of time to research.

Thanks for the hypnobirthing book recommendations ladies - will definitely get on and purchase one now!

MM - have saved your birth story as a favourite and will read it later when have more time to digest!

Deej23 - looks like something is occurring!! Fingers crossed!

Eternal Rose - my sister is in Avenue Q for another week or so before she leaves. If you want cheap tickets PM me what day you would like them for and will see if she can get them for you. It is not your normal musical but very funny!!

Thanks hun, thats really kind of you I will keep this in mind if I decide to go.

And Celesse TTC in August, already girl! Good on you hun, you never know if you get your bfp straight away there wont be much of an age gap between Abigail and her sister/brother which I think is really nice. x x

Hey ladies! Sooooooo, can I officially join you in here???:blush:

Had a great MW appointment yesterday, she was very supportive, and also saw the consultant who said I am a perfect 'candidate' for HB :D :cloud9: I really expected to come up against a whole load of obstacles, I'm surprised how easy it was, especially later on in my pregnancy!

So anyways, I'm Janie :wave: and I'm due number 2 on 29th May! Have a son already who's 7, he was born in hospital, and I hated every minute of being there!!! I'm so excited about having this wee one in the comfort of my own home.

Soooo glad I've found this group, as I feel I have so much to prepare for in a really wee space of time lol So my first question is.......birth pools! I really want to have one here to labour in at least, but have no idea whether to go for rental or buy an inflatable. Don't want to be spending an awful lot of money really....so any recommendations??? x

Welcome, Janie. Check out e-bay for some good, cheap pools. If you read back over the thread, you'll see what pools some of the girls have used - La Bassine, Birth Pool in a Box, etc.

Hey ladies! Sooooooo, can I officially join you in here???:blush:

Had a great MW appointment yesterday, she was very supportive, and also saw the consultant who said I am a perfect 'candidate' for HB :D :cloud9: I really expected to come up against a whole load of obstacles, I'm surprised how easy it was, especially later on in my pregnancy!

So anyways, I'm Janie :wave: and I'm due number 2 on 29th May! Have a son already who's 7, he was born in hospital, and I hated every minute of being there!!! I'm so excited about having this wee one in the comfort of my own home.

Soooo glad I've found this group, as I feel I have so much to prepare for in a really wee space of time lol So my first question is.......birth pools! I really want to have one here to labour in at least, but have no idea whether to go for rental or buy an inflatable. Don't want to be spending an awful lot of money really....so any recommendations??? x

Hey, welcome :)

I spoke to my MW about birth pools... I was initially looking at the Aqua Doula:

https://www.aquadoula.com/

Because it heats the water, so we wouldn't have to worry about contending with our tiny hot water tank....But I've pretty much decided I'd prefer a softer sided tub (eg inflatable)..

And the La Bassine:

https://www.yourwaterbirth.com/la-bassine-birthing-pools-c-1_38.html

Because it's got some good reviews and looks nicest to me....It's also shaped so it's meant to be a bit deeper, but save on water...

I asked my midwife about using a kids paddling pool....something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/60-x-22-Aquarium-Pool/dp/B000O1F20I

And she said that that is the kind of pool they most frequently see used...The only downside is, it's a little smaller/shallower....

I'm undecided between the La Bassine and the 'Fishy Pool' at the moment, because I don't like the idea of having half my bump under the water and half not - but it will be hot in June, so I'm wondering if I'd prefer just having a shallower amount of water so I don't get stifled, iykwim? There are pros and cons for all of them, you just have to decide what's most important to you. :)

xx

Welcome Janiepops :)

I used a La Bassine pool and I really recommend it. Very easy to use and it was an amazing help during my home birth. I liked the depth of it because like Nightkd mentioned I really found having my uterus submerged very soothing. There was a point where I thought I might deliver in the pool and the MW had my hubby fill it really full so I think if you intend to deliver in the water you just need to be sure it is deep enough. :)

Hi Janiepops - you will love this group!

I had the Box Pool in a box, regular (Although it actually came in a bag!:)

I got mine from E-bay for £50. I found that hiring a pool was going to be more expensive than this, as I didn't know when I would deliver, so would have had it from 39wks to perhaps up to 42.

The advantage of hiring, I can see, is having ridged sides - good if you have cats etc... but really the soft sides of the inflatable were very comforting when leaning out on to them in labour. Plus the handles gave me support when needed.

I found the depth the most beneficial part of my pool. To be able to swish my hips in-between contractions, and also let my legs float out behind me, it was wonderful.

I'd sell you mine, and have thought about selling it, but I'm going to keep it for the next birth, as it was such an enjoyable experience.

There are lots on e-bay - don't worry about liners.. you don't really need them (give your pool a good clean with Milton; if it has been used or not)

You won't really want your pool very hot (in my experience) - labour was making me very hot, and you can't really have it hotter than 37oC for the baby when they arrive; we used a good old fashioned mercury thermometer for measuring the temp of the water.

Happy pool hunting!
xxxx

Congrats on the BFP Lozzy :dance:

My doula has a pool so I'd just need to get a liner - not sure which pool it is I must find out because I do love the look of the Aquadoula.

My DD wasn't a waterbirth but I'm hoping to have a waterbirth this time! Ok, so it's a loooong time away :blush:

Erm im pregnant, got my bfp on monday and thats as much as i know lol

can I join please? :D I'm a way off yet but there's no harm in planning... hehe xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->