• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Home education/schooling

I taught my DD to read early and the question I asked was what was I taking away from her? There are so many moments of doing not much that it is highly unlikely that teaching reading will take away from anything important - especially since even now it takes less than 5 minutes a day and she's reading at a grade 1 level with no formal instruction. However I never used my baby can read.

Hi all :wave: hope it's ok to jump on the thread. I have one son who is rising 2 (in 2 weeks, can't believe it!) and my and my husband have decided that we would like to educate him at home. I've actually helped out a family who were homeschooling and I'm a primary school teacher so I'm fairly confident that I will do ok. I've been enjoying reading this thread and the different info. Seems to have gone quiet this month though - how is everyone?

im still here been a bit distracted finidng out im pregnant again lol, ive been doing some stuff on websites with ds1 identifying shapes and patterns which hes doing well and reading to him and hes getting really good with number recognition

im still here been a bit distracted finidng out im pregnant again lol, ive been doing some stuff on websites with ds1 identifying shapes and patterns which hes doing well and reading to him and hes getting really good with number recognition

Congratulations on the pregnancy :happydance:

We've only just been talking about home educating this week so I'm spending my time doing a lot of research and trying to work out what might be the best way forward for us. He's only 2 so I figure I have a while to get ideas and resources together. I was quite surprised this morning to find that he knows the colour purple and yellow. He's been learning them from our bed spreads. I have a couple from Ikea, one has big colourful circles and the other has multi coloured flower patterns. He loves to sit on our bed in the morning and point at each colour in turn while we tell him the name.

Congrats Lynnikin!

We are hoping to buy a curriculum for my daughter soon - this year we have just been doing whatever comes up, but I could do with some structure. She's doing well and we are coping ok with the new baby and her although it has been a big adjustment.

does anyone know where to get the materials to home school in the UK?

What sort of materials are you looking for? Places like bookshops and wh smith have workbooks, you can find specific curriculums online. But tbh you don't really need anything other than a library card and internet access.

If you're looking for books on home education then Holt is usually a good place to start, also Gatto is usually recommended by home edders.

ETA - I see you're in Scotland. Check out www.schoolhouse.org.uk

thanks found one for kids on autistic spectrum so going to see if can get it at library :D

Hi Ladies, I hope it's ok to post this here, I thought some of you might be interested:

https://www.lovegeobar.com/fun-stuff/free-map

If you go here and enter your details you are entered in to win one of 10,000 world maps (A2 size!) that they are giving away. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we get one, I'd love a world map poster for my sons toy room.

I spent yesterday going through his toys etc. and since I've decided to home educate him I've started looking at them in different ways lol I kept thinking "oooh this till would be great for maths" etc. His only 2 so I've got a while to wait before he's doing maths! :winkwink:

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the bank holiday weekend if you are in the UK - did anyone watch the royal wedding, I was thinking of educational ideas behind that too lol, my mind is so busy with ideas now.

I thought some of you home schoolers might like to read this. It's an article about how learning happens. Thought it was interesting!

Hi Ladies, I hope it's ok to post this here, I thought some of you might be interested:

https://www.lovegeobar.com/fun-stuff/free-map

If you go here and enter your details you are entered in to win one of 10,000 world maps (A2 size!) that they are giving away. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we get one, I'd love a world map poster for my sons toy room.

I spent yesterday going through his toys etc. and since I've decided to home educate him I've started looking at them in different ways lol I kept thinking "oooh this till would be great for maths" etc. His only 2 so I've got a while to wait before he's doing maths! :winkwink:

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the bank holiday weekend if you are in the UK - did anyone watch the royal wedding, I was thinking of educational ideas behind that too lol, my mind is so busy with ideas now.

it might be sooner than you think, lol Nate turns 3 in June and he alredy recognises most numbers even into the teens and will sit and count his toys numbering them off one by one

does anyone know where to get the materials to home school in the UK?

Have a look at www.avenscorner.com/. It's a site of learning games and activities designed specially for autistic children.

thanks hun will check it out :D we have been watching educational videos on youtube doing work sheets which have been great for him and reading alot more he has started helping me cook etc....

before i choose to sort things out he didn't eat, wasn't potty trained, he was always having a meltdowns, his talking was pretty poor and his sleeping not great....

well now he is eating what i put down to him he's getting less choice and no junk without it being a treat and deserved. he is talking a little better, he is fully potty trained and having less meltdowns (still having them but better ones) he also hated people touching him and wouldn't let me brush his teeth etc and he is now letting me do it even if its minimal at least he is allowing me to do it.

anyways long story short the star chart system has worked and full imput is sooo much better

Lynne sounds like you are doing a good job and that things are improving greatly.

We had a good homeschooling morning this morning and I was wondering what makes me say a morning was good or bad. I think that my DD was more cooperative than normal, my baby slept which helped a lot and we did a hands on activity that results in some product so we can see that we actually did something this morning. But then thats just me, I imagine other people would have other criteria for a good morning.

sounds good too me lol we're having a bad day/night as james woke at 2am last night and been awake since so i am dying

Ah hope you can get some sleep or rest soon. Can be exhausting when they do that.

Hellooooo

Didn't expect to do homeschooling but have been looking into the Montessori method and really like the way it's structured towards preschoolers. I'm not sure if I will exclusively homeschool past aged 5 but until then I'm going to be taking a more proactive approach to how my two and a half year old learns. She currently knows several colours, her alphabet by sight, and can draw and recognise shapes. We do have a school about 45 minutes away which allows for part time school based learning, and part time home schooling and the school supports the parents. However I don't know if LO will be able to attend as it's so far away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->