Home-made food or jars???

porkypig

Reaction score
what are people's opinions on this?? i, myself am undecided, obviously homemade is much better but sometimes when youre out, its awkward xx

home made all the time, i started morgan on jars, they stained his top/face etc and stink :nope:
with home made ones i jsut have lots of tubs, make him somat ( he usually has wot we have....sunday dinner (3tubs) saus caserole (2tubs) etc and frezze them , take one/2 out the night b4 and ready for the next day so simply and cheaper :thumbup:

My LO is still young for solids, but when I was discussing this issue with my mom, she told me that most of the ready jars r usually made of organic products & the quantities r studied by experts.

i know he can eat what we eat now, but i still worry whether its ok for him or healthy enough, or too stodgy xx

I'm planning on using 90% homemade since I'll know exactly what's in it and it works out cheaper but I'm not ruling out using the odd jar if we're out and about and I've nothing ready to take with me.

a mixture of both is what i'm planning. home made when i can but jars for when i am out and don't have time. don't worry either is good, its just good to do homemade so that they get a variety of tastes. x

I'm planning on using 90% homemade since I'll know exactly what's in it and it works out cheaper but I'm not ruling out using the odd jar if we're out and about and I've nothing ready to take with me.

yes this is my plan. the dinner is ok, because 9/10, he can have what we have, its the lunch i struggle for new and tasty ideas xx

I use jars and have no problems with them at all, i dont have enough time to do homemade ones so i just buy jars.

i suppose its a question of time, especially during the day xx

When Bobby starts on solids I plan to use both jars and homemade. If we eat something that I can puree for him then I will but I also wont beat myself up for trying the jars, especially when out and about! x

yes this is my plan. the dinner is ok, because 9/10, he can have what we have, its the lunch i struggle for new and tasty ideas xx

I look on the jars or ideas so I can make my own versions when Harvey is ready for meals. There's a recipes thread in the weaning forum too which might give you some inspiration.

I was planning to use a mixture until I went to the weaning session at baby clinic last week - the health visitors heated up some jars/ packets (the Hipp organic ones) and then did some homemade versions using mostly just steamed veg/ fruit mashed up with a fork/ sieved.

OMG the difference in taste was unbelieveable - so i will be doing 99% homemade for as long as I'm off work then as much as possible afterwards.

For a good comparison heat up the free jar of apple and pear puree from your 6month Bounty Pack then just chop up one apple and one pear then steam it and push it through a sieve - i would never have thought there would be so much difference but everything about the jar stuff was horrible - the colour, texture,smell and tast just put me right off.

Until that point i would have been happy to use lots of stuff from jars etc. but it really made me think twice!

I'm sure I will use some though if we're out and about or I really don't have time. Also making it at home will mean there are fresh veggies in the house so me adn DH will have to eat them too - we both need to eat more healthily - having a new baby has been the perfect exscuse to eat lots of junk food and takeaways.

also if ur baby eats homemade (blended of course) the texture of jars is so much running , i tried morgan on jars just for brekkie and he just dropped it out of his mouth lol was to thin !!
takes mintues to get some veg,chick etc into jars in the frezzer uknow, i do it mainley cos of cost x

I was planning to use a mixture until I went to the weaning session at baby clinic last week - the health visitors heated up some jars/ packets (the Hipp organic ones) and then did some homemade versions using mostly just steamed veg/ fruit mashed up with a fork/ sieved.

OMG the difference in taste was unbelieveable - so i will be doing 99% homemade for as long as I'm off work then as much as possible afterwards.

For a good comparison heat up the free jar of apple and pear puree from your 6month Bounty Pack then just chop up one apple and one pear then steam it and push it through a sieve - i would never have thought there would be so much difference but everything about the jar stuff was horrible - the colour, texture,smell and tast just put me right off.

Until that point i would have been happy to use lots of stuff from jars etc. but it really made me think twice!

I'm sure I will use some though if we're out and about or I really don't have time. Also making it at home will mean there are fresh veggies in the house so me adn DH will have to eat them too - we both need to eat more healthily - having a new baby has been the perfect exscuse to eat lots of junk food and takeaways.

yes, i think the jars look really gloopy and they stain too, so makes you think what goes in them. tonight i gave my lo homemade lentils with carrot and celery and he loved it,such a sense of satisfaction knowing hes eating something decent xx but jars are convenient if youre out x

we use both but mainly homemade. but if im out and about i will sometimes give him a jar (although even then sometimes i will take homemade food) and sometimes he has one at home if im in a massive rush. i tend to use the fruit/desert type ones more at home (he has some type of main course first!)

your right they do stain tho, my lo dropped some on the dogs head once where he has a white spot and after much scrubbing he still had an orange head!!!

I have always made Amelia's meals but we were given some jars and I gave them a go. Unfortunately Amelia will not touch them. I have tried them too and found it very disconcerting that the fish recipe one tasted the same as the beef one, and the vegetarian one!

It's really easy to make them yourself, especially in the early days. You don't need these fancy weaning pots either, just any freezer and microwave safe tupperware tub is great.

We are hoping to do baby led weaning, so won't be making purees. But if that changes I will make my own ideally from my garden in the summer, or from fresh organic fruits/veggies. There is some very good organic baby food you can buy in jars which I wouldn't be opposed to using, but my biggest issue is that it is expensive!!! So I would save that for emergencies.

xx

We used jars while we were out purely for convenience, but it wasn't very often, since we didn't do purees for very long.

We did homemade at home, the texture of homemade and store bought is different.. jars are very bland, homemade you can flavour a bit more.

Apple sauce, I bought unsweetened with added calcium from the regular apple sauce shelf at the grocery store. Bananas I just mashed with a fork. You can just scoop out baked sweet potatoes (or regular) and mash them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->