Hospital bag...you don't need half of it!!!

sprite30

Reaction score
Just a heads up ladies my LO arrived 15 days ago and I over did it with the hospital bag. When we went on the tour of my hospital they gave us a list of what to bring and I followed it to a T and looking back on it the list was completely rediculous. On top of going out and buying about $40 worth of stuff that I didn't get to use they remmended basically 4 differen bags...a labor bag, moms bag, dads bag and baby's bag. Realistically we needed one small bag and babies bag.

Things I realllly really needed was...

2 Yoga or pj pants with elastic waist band that was super stretchy or oversized...nothing tight on the tummy
2 shirts that cover you up
Going home outfit for mom - I actually wore home what I wore into the hospital
Stretchy bra...I had a loose bra and a sleeping nursing bra and used both one for day and one for night
Pjs and change of clothes for dh
Going home outfit and hat for baby, car seat, blanket.
Phone chargers and camera and all chargers
Toiletries for all Chapstick, hair ties, tweezers...basically anything you'd want if you were going camping....necessities

Now to the things we didn't need and why
A robe - I don't wear this at home so realistically why would I wear this at the hospital I was either in the hospital gown or in pjs so robe was not needed
Underwear - haha those boy short mesh undies the hospital gives worked just fine. I even asked for a couple extra to wear and bring home bc after all who wants to ruin good undies or worry about wash right after baby is born
Slippers - my feet were so swollen from being pumped with 5 bags of fluids that the slippers I brought didn't even fit. The non skid socks the hospital gives work perfect..no need for your own socks either except to go home in.
Ipad/computer junk - I did everything I needed to do on my phone all the other junk we brought basically came out of the bag so we could stare at it. Time went so quick by the time I had a second to sit Down and play a game I was ready to be discharged
Maxi pads- I brought a whole bag which took up a lot of space in my bag and I ended up using what the hospital gave. The bleeding was pretty heavy so it really doesn't matter what "brand" you have whatever gets the job done
Boppy pillow - we didn't bother to bring this in from the car we decided to formula feed so we didn't think it was necessary.

Now to things I wish I had ... Compression socks- they pumped me full of 5 bags of fluids and the first place it went was right to my ankles...the compression socks they had were the super duper surgical ones they would have been way to tight so I wish I had brought my own lighter compression and put on before they even started the IV.

The hospital we went to has a full pharmacy in it which we took advantage of. They filled out scripts before we left and even sold diapers so what the hospital didn't give us to take home we just stopped in there for the rest. I would def stop in your hospitals pharmacy while you are there for the hospital tour and look over what they have. Worse comes to worse you can always send someone down to pick you up something.

Looking back if I had shown up to the hospital with absolutely nothing I think I would have managed just fine. You will not have time to be glamorous lol the babies stuff was the most important but even then they have and give you all the necessities.

Good luck to all those still waiting and don't stress out at all about the hospital bag.

Much like you, with our first we over packed. This time I am going much simpler. Only thing on your don't need list that I will bring is a robe and slippers. I used the robe a lot while in last time. The gowns they give have open back and also nursing openings in the front. So to do the required walking after the csection I needed the robe.
My basics list is this:
Robe and slippers (only thing my feet fit into last time)
Loose fitting pants and shirt to go home in,
Baby outfit for pictures and to go home in,
Nursing bra,
Baby blanket,
Car seat,
Toothbrush and toothpaste,
Small things like nail clippers, hair clips, and ChapStick
Phone, camera, and chargers.
That is pretty much it.

I used one hospital gown for the front and one for the back, ...i was however very happy that the robe I did bring was lightweight and not very bulky.

I brought 2 pillows from home as well. That sucked carrying everything through the hospital but I was glad to have a comfy pillow..and so was dh.

I used one hospital gown for the front and one for the back, ...i was however very happy that the robe I did bring was lightweight and not very bulky.

I brought 2 pillows from home as well. That sucked carrying everything through the hospital but I was glad to have a comfy pillow..and so was dh.

Didn't think about bringing a pillow. I may just throw one in the car just in case. The facility I am having this baby at is newly built. So maybe the pillows aren't too beaten up yet. But sometimes nothing beats comforts from home. :thumbup:

I too brought a pillow and also a blanket when I had DD, super glad I did :)
I did use my robe every day I was there. Its was also Jan in Erie so it was like 20 degrees outside and I loved having it to keep me warm and cozy. Plus it opening in the front was great for nursing. I plan on bringing it this time.
I was thinking about packing my bag this weekend as I have a c section scheduled or Thursday.
One thing Im bringing that I didnt have last time was an extra bag lol i know it sounds crazy. But I remember having a bunch of extra stuff....papers from the hospital, gifts that family and friends brought by for the baby or me and also some little things that the hospital gave us. So I am going to pack one of those cute little reusable grocery bags :) im sure it will come in handy

I think the lists are necessary just to prepare people of they were to have a long labor. I was in labor for 3 days and then stayed another 3 days after a c section. I figured I wouldn't need a bag for DH, when in reality he wore the same clothes 3 days in a row before his mom finally brought him different clothes and his showering accessories. And I didn't pack enough clothes for myself either. Didn't need anything for baby other than a couple outfits for the extra days we were there, so I was glad I did that because originally I was only planning on bringing the going home outfit. I wish I brought snacks like I originally planned because DH insisted we could just buy food from the hospital. Well after our nearly week stay we spent about $100 worth of food. And I wish I brought extra grocery bags to carry presents home with me. I didn't realize people would bring stuff and it was a pain taking it all to the car.

But I'm one of the rare few that get stuck in a hospital for so long :haha: So I think those extensive lists are for situations like mine to be prepared for

I packed things that I thought I might need. I looked over many different lists online and choose what might be important for me to bring.

I brought two bags, mine and baby's.

I honestly didn't need over half of it.

For Eryk, all I needed was going home outfit, and blanket. Everything else was supplied by hospital, and they had him in a shirt the whole time to keep an eye on his umbilical cord, and easy access to change diaper (it didn't fit him anyway as he's small).

For me, all I needed was my toiletries, nursing bra/nursing cami, 3 pairs of socks, going home outfit, Kindle (as I didn't sleep every time lo slept), and charger. Oh and I did use my nursing pads today as I started to leak.

I had a very quick delivery, and stayed in my room whole time, so I didn't need my robe, and I wore the mesh underwear.

Pretty much everything I would have needed was supplied by the hospital.

I agree you don't need as much as you think. With my first, I over packed big time. Now, I do separate bags... One for labor, one for hospital stay, One for DH and one for baby.

I also am taking matching sister dolls for each of my girls. When they come meet their new sister, they will get one. They will also be my focal point.

Really if I forget something. DH can bring it later, he will be home at night with our girls.

I'm thinking about taking a heating pad to help with after pads. I haven't started packing yet.

This is helpful, thanks!
I never overpack, always underpack lol!
I am bringing my robe, I wear it at home as well.
As for baby stuff, we only need to bring what we'll be taking her home in, a hat and pacifier.

Oh yeah, they let us bring an outfit for newborn pictures. We never order many pictures though because they are expensive.

Taking a lady bug crochet outfit.

That's nice they take pictures, I remember my brother has a few, something to sendvto the family at first.
We don't have that here!

It is a nice option. A photographer comes in during your stay.

I think it completely different in the UK as the hospital don't provide much for you/baby.
I do agree you don't need as much as is on the lists and since they send partners home if you've forgotten anything they can bring it in for you.

I wanted to add that DH stayed with me the whole time because 1. Our hospital was nearly an hour away from home, didn't want to spend the money on gas and 2. We had to pay for parking (which is ridiculous I know) so we didn't move the car. After it was all said and don't our parking fee was $60! Luckily the guy who ran the desk waved the fee.

$60 bucks for parking holy crap....and $100 for food that's crazy. I think we got incredibly lucky with the food as the cafeteria was super cheap and dh's father actually came and ate dinner with him every night because it was so cheap and very good food.

There are some great tips and suggestions here. If anyone else has anything to add keep adding to it.

Our hospital did newborn photos only if you purchase a package. I wanted to badly but every time the girl came it was a really bad time so we ended up going to a studio today and getting professional pics done and I was able to order the birth announcements right away too. If I had to do it over again I would have made time to do them in the hospital, our pics came out fabulous today but I just regret not getting pics at the hospital too.

It really does depend on the hospital. We gave birth in one of the Cleveland Clinic hospitals in Ohio, and they included three meals a day for hubby as part of our stay (we just called in our meal orders and they delivered it), along with a convertible bed in our room. They did everything they could to make sure he never had to leave our side during our stay, which was so nice.

I definitely overpacked, and we went home with so much extra stuff too that the hospital provided. Next time I am definitely packing lighter! :haha:

I just pack one back with a outfit foe me, one for my fiancé, and the baby outfit. When my daughter was born I forgot my brush and toothbrush and toothpaste. I didn't like the stuff at the hospital so I mad w sure this time that was the first thing I packed.

Oh man, tooth brushes we always forget!
Because of that we wlways keep a spare in the toiletries bag, just in case!
But there is a pharmacy 3 minutes walk from the hospital, so even if we do forget something it's not the end of the world.
I'm also packing mouthwash. It just makes life better sometimes without having to do anything!

I always pack my own travel toiletry bags with my favorite soap and shampoo as well as hair ties tweezers a razor and toothpaste/brush and hairbrush. I brought my own nightie to wear under my comfy warm robe (that I still have and use) just for walking after my C-sections. Slippers were a must (the ones with the thick comfy padding underneath) because I have plantar fasciitis. I admit to empty-ing the basinet cart more than once and stowing soiled baby shirts provided by the hospital in Ziplocs inside my duffel (the local hospital gives you as much of the diapers and pads and etc. as you take without so much as a raised eyebrow). I always pack several books and my computer and music JIC I get bored watching tv while the baby sleeps. I'd rather be over-prepared than going nuts wanting something I don't have.. Especially since I don't have to lug anything either into or out of the hospital and don't have to unpack either! lol

Yeah meals were ridiculous at the hospital! I got mine for free, but hubby had to pay $8 for his. I understand all the money goes to the hospital and research but still!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->