Hospital bag?!

Breeelizabeth

Reaction score
Hey ladies, I'm having a massive day of nesting today (my bathroom and kitchen walls have never looked so clean :haha:)
And now that I've cleaned everything and rearranged babies stuff a few times I thought I'd think about our hospital bags. I've done a bit of googling as to what I might need but I figure nothing beats personal experience and I always end up forgetting to take something with me everywhere I go.

I'll be in hospital for 3 days afterwards if everything goes to plan.
I'll be formula feeding, they supply formula but I'm not sure whether I should take my own just in case (I am using the same brand as them) same thing for bottles, do I need to take some?
Will they supply clothes/blankets for baby or will I need to supply my own?
What about for me, is there anything special that I need to take for me for either the labour or afterwards, or do you have any recommendations as to what I will need and won't need?

Thank you in advance, I know it's a lot to answer but any help would be greatly appreciated

Has your hospital in NSW provided you with a list? Here in the UK, we're usually given a list of things to bring and what they do not provide. E.g. my hospital do not support formula feeding so you have to bring your own bottles, milk etc.

So for me, I basically have to provide everything (clothes, blankets, stuff for me) as they literally provide nothing other than the bed, sheets and staff. We've been advised to also pack snacks as they only have a tea and coffee facilities. My previous hospital had a proper kitchen on the ward which partners could use, this one we have been told that they can't use it.. so it really depends.

So things I've packed as extras on top of my clothes, pjs, dressing gown, slippers, flip flops, toiletries are nipple cream, breast pads, thick maternity pads (Much comfier with stitches than the thin ones), big knickers, magazines, Ribena, Haribo. In the car we have an extra bag with some bits in for all of us.

I would certainly contact the hospital you plan to birth at to see what they provide, as it seems to differ everywhere. We had a tour this weekend and the nurse told me we could basically show up with nothing as they provide everything: diapers, newborn onsies, formula if ff, diapers, etc. even if they provide everything it is nice to have the comforts of home. I plan on bringing a robe again and comfy pjs, the baby book, and slippers other than my toiletries. Oh and camera/phone chargers as they don't provide those ;)

It depends on the hospital and where ure from. I'm in the US and hospitals here provides mostly everything when it comes to the baby and you. If I were you I'd call the hospital and ask them if and what will you need to bring and what what and if they supply anything.

I feel like this is a stupid question but when we're talking toiletries...I mean what exactly are we talking? I'm delivering at a different hospital than all of my friends and family. The one person I knew that DID deliver there did so before they updated the facility. Now they only have suites where labor, delivery, and recovery are all done in one room.
Some people are saying you only need to bring shampoo/conditioner and body soap. Others are saying bring a towel and wash cloth. The hospital I'm going to requires a 48 hr stay so...I'm guessing a couple of outfits for myself and LO?

I agree you should make a call to your hospital to see what they provide. In the US you could show up empty handed and they would supply everything. (sometimes even a car seat if you met the required below poverty level income).
the "bottles" my hospital would supply if I were to bottle feed are premixed glass or plastic bottles of formula that have sterilized single use individual nipples that screw on.
as far toiletries I'd pack that and keep in my purse (I usually keep a toothbrush , toothpaste and face wash I'm my makeup bag) id also take your own shampoo and conditioner as the hospital stuff is horrible at getting out any tangles.

the toiletries are the most important! :haha: I am bringing my own smell good lotion, coconut oil, soap/shampoo/conditioner, and all the other essentials needed to clean up and feel good :)

I have been scanning the internet and bagering my midwife about my hospital bag ... !!:winkwink:

I've found lots of pre prepared lists avalible from sites such as Cow and Gate and MotherCare.

I have also taken some advice from my mum, though i have learned some peoples advice is to be ignored, for instance the mother in law is adiment in telling me horror stories about labour and to take the "exact opposite" of what the hospitals advise in my bag ...

i advise talking to your midwife, mum and having a quick scan round the internet for a pre prepared list, and also phoning the hospital and just asking what they advise you to take :flower:

(You can always sent the other half running back for anything you've forgotten!! :haha:)

I had the hardest time planning on what to pack a few weeks ago! I made a thread similar to yours asking what to pack and it help so much! I finally have a small suitcase sitting by my bed. Items include:

- A couple shirts and leggings for me and the husband for going home
- A couple outfits for baby, because I won't know how big she will be ;)
- A blanket for baby when taking her home
- Baby booties and mittens
- Some pads, socks, undies, a light robe I am borrowing from my mom
- Travel-sized deodorant and toothpaste

I have a checklist on the garage door as well to make sure I don't forget anything. There is a post-it on the check list that will remind me to grab my tooth brush, phone, tablet and charger to use during downtime. I have notes for everything, because sometimes I think I suffer from short-term memory loss haha! Hopefully I don't forget anything, because we live a good 15 miles from the hospital. It would be a pain to have to send hubby back to get something lol.

Good luck :)

I am packing an essentials bag and a just in case bag, the just in case one will stay in the...well just in case it's needed. That will include stuff that me and the the baby will need if we're staying in overnight or if the labour is long, if you are staying in a few nights u can always send oh home to get stuff and bring back or send him shopping with a list if ur not close to home. Just make sure u pack things for labouring, things for immediately after and things for going home, anything else I see as more of a want than a need and if it becomes a need it's easy to get hold of

If you're for sure going to formula feed, look into the pre-made bottles where you just have to attach the nipple and feed. Our hospital provided Enfamil premade bottles that way since we went straight to formula, and it made it soooooo much easier. Well worth the cost if you have to pay for it out of pocket in your country (we used it for the first two weeks until we switched to our bottles, but they sent us home with a free case, but I would gladly buy it for the next one if needed).

Ask them what they provide, and go off that. If they provide clothing for you and baby, I recommend sticking with that since you'll probably be bleeding. Makes washing so much easier when you get home since you don't have to worry about their gowns! :haha: Only pack what you truly need, and if you forget something send someone home for it. We packed waaaay too much and had a hard time getting it to the car when we checked out. Next time it's one simple bag!

Our hospital did provide all the clothes, blankets, formula, diapers, meals, etc (and let us take it all home with us when we left) that we needed as a family. Hubby even stayed with us overnight and was encouraged to do so by the nurses. I wished I had double checked with them before I packed, because I could have cut our bags down a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->