How accurate is gender at 13 weeks??

ElmoBumpToBe

Reaction score
Hope this is ok to post here as isn't a prediction thread, I just wondered has anyone had a sonographer say (after much pestering!) at 13 week scan, that baby's parts are "looking boyish" for it to later turn out to be a girl? Or would you say that it's very likely our baby is a boy? I'm just curious more than anything! I know you can never be certain, but in general? Thanks in advance :) x

I think boys and girls look similar, if not the same, at 13 weeks still xx

Loads of people get boy guesses at 13 weeks if you google it but later go on to find out its a girl. I think they look very alike this early x

That's interesting thank you! To be honest I never really expected that we would have a girl since we have three boys, I just wondered if I could risk buying a few boy bits! Xx

I was told at both my 12 week scans I was likely expecting boys... and right both times... also my scan pics had caught the nub and both were very angled like the boys nub suggests. I think it's easier to be sure about a boy at 12 week scan as it's more pronounced. Good luck xx

It's the opposite way round but a girl I know had them confirm the baby was a girl as could see 3 lines at 12/13 weeks and at 20 weeks it was a boy!!

its very accurate! 13 weeks is a very accurate time to determine gender. looks like youll have 4 little boys :)

I personally wouldn't trust it, I'd take it as 60% accurate at best. I think 15-16 weeks is a somewhat good time to start really looking. Most private scans don't even do gender prediction until 14 weeks :)

Congrats!

My doc said girl at 12 weeks, but not to buy pink before the 20 weeks scan!

I have 2 boys and i'm sure this ones a boy too :) i just wanna buy cute stuff too because unisex bits seem really naff this year! My decision for sticking with team yellow is not looking likely lol xx

Well I googled it and was amazed by just how common it is to be told boy at 12,13,14, even 15 and 16 weeks and later have it turn out to be a girl! I always presumed that it was more common the other way round but apparently not.
I think it's quite likely that we are having a boy but still I shan't be decorating the nursery just yet! Thanks for all your replies X

I wouldn't trust it at all at 13 weeks, personally I think a good nub picture would give you more of a guess. At 13 weeks potty shots can all look pretty similar as girls still tend to be pretty swollen at that stage, if they can get it wrong at 15/16 weeks when it is pretty accurate usually they certainly can at 13. :)

In my last pregnancy I was told girl at 13 weeks but it turned out to be a boy.

This time, the baby looked clearly like a girl from early on and later scans have confirmed it.

I did see it with my own eyes but obviously I have no idea just how swollen girly bits can get and how much like a little willy they could look lol! X

At that stage genitals are external on both girls and boys so girls look like they have boy parts.

I think a lot has to do with the skill of the sonagrapher and the quality of their equipment and of course if they get a good look. A good sonagrapher can be close to 100% sure at 16 weeks. Before that thre is always a bit of guess work but some are better at guessing than others. We were told boy at 13 weeks and it was right.

We were told boy at 12 weeks from the 3d pic (the one thats my profile pic). You can clearly see a piece sticking out between the legs and the doc told us she would say its a boy.

I will find out in 5 days at my 19 weeks scan. I bought some blue things already. lol. its just unlikely that a boy is guessed wrong so early, but still possible!! I will be SO shocked if my ob/gyn tells me its a girl!

Will keep you updated!

That does look like bouy bits,lol. The girl bits do stick out to start with too though, they only grow in later on.

The pics are really poor snow and sonographer told me the nub isn't showing on either of them (if he hadn't have told me it wasn't on the pic then I would have wrongly presumed I could see the nub as there is a white line but he said that's not the nub)

J1405 you would be shocked actually it's SO common for girls to be mistaken for boys in these earlier weeks, I had no idea until I googled it and saw the many many posts from people who where told boy only to find out it was a girl! Xx

I will attach the pics that I have X

Why does bnb sometimes flip a photo on its side and sometimes not?! It's very annoying lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->