How do I get chickens in a coop?

T

Toms Mummy

Does anyone own chickens?...... I'm looking after my neighbours 3 chickens. They have a large run and a coop with a small door. I need to get them in to the coop, through this small door this evening. I have tried 3 times now but they will just not go in! I picked one up and put that one in but the others kept running away, I couldn't catch them and they were flapping!

I know they can't see in the dark, do you think they will just naturally head in there when it goes dark? I hope so, but I'm worried that if they doon't then I won't be able to find them!!

They'll go in themselves hun dont worry :) We used to have chooks. Make sure they secured in properly too so foxes cant get in x

ETA- You could always put a little food in there for them if you are worried - that'll get them running in! x

Thanks Loraloo! I've just been out to check on them and they were all in the coop! Brill :) All that running around for nothing!

Thanks Loraloo! I've just been out to check on them and they were all in the coop! Brill :) All that running around for nothing!

:haha: I can just imagine, theyre little buggers to catch! x

ive just looked after my sisters chickens for a week,
they put themselves to bed. I want my own now but LO kept chasing them around & saying 'come on kiken get in the oven'!! :dohh:

Yes, I did look stupid! I kept wondering what the neighbours were thinking! :dohh:

:haha: that's so funny kaybea!..... when my neighbours 1st got the chickens I di feel a bit guilty when I put a chicken in the oven!

Yes, I did look stupid! I kept wondering what the neighbours were thinking! :dohh:

:haha: that's so funny kaybea!..... when my neighbours 1st got the chickens I di feel a bit guilty when I put a chicken in the oven!

I remember once picking my son up from school, we got home and he asked what was for tea. I said Harriet :haha: I thought he would know I was joking but he promptly burst into tears, I felt so bad!

Was about to say we used to keep chckens but I was only about 7-8 and from what I remember they used to just head back in at dusk.
Although it wasnt always back into their coop as 2 of them insisted they where too good for that and kept walking into the kitchen and settling by the radiator :)

Was about to say we used to keep chckens but I was only about 7-8 and from what I remember they used to just head back in at dusk.
Although it wasnt always back into their coop as 2 of them insisted they where too good for that and kept walking into the kitchen and settling by the radiator :)

Ours used to do that too :) I found one upstairs in the bedroom once :wacko: This thread has really made me want some more, I asked DH last night if we could get some more, he said no, so I asked for a Donkey instead :rofl: So he said he will think about the chickens :winkwink:

Aww i would love to own some chickens but we are not allowed pets in this house :nope: and our garden is tiny

I'm getting chickens a few months (once we have built the run) :D

I remember once picking my son up from school, we got home and he asked what was for tea. I said Harriet :haha: I thought he would know I was joking but he promptly burst into tears, I felt so bad!

:rofl: this made me laugh, but then made me go aww! :)

Aww i would love to own some chickens but we are not allowed pets in this house :nope: and our garden is tiny

I was surprised when our neighbours got chickens! We have thought about it but always felt our garden was too small and we live in a 2up 2down terraced house with 7 other houses attached so not the sort of place you'd expect to see chickens but it's worked for next door!..... My OH said if they've got chickens we should get ducks :haha:

I was surprised when our neighbours got chickens! We have thought about it but always felt our garden was too small and we live in a 2up 2down terraced house with 7 other houses attached so not the sort of place you'd expect to see chickens but it's worked for next door!..... My OH said if they've got chickens we should get ducks :haha:

Ducks are so cute but they ruin your garden! Chickens keep the weeds down too :haha: We used to have 4 (one for each child) Henrietta, Harriet, Hazel and.....Princess :rofl:

We had a Cockrel too, called Trevor :wacko: he was evil. We were prisoners in our home he would did this little Cockrel dance, Cockadoodle doo, then attack you, he was really vicious, we had to get rid of him.

I do think Chickens make great pets, especially for children x

https://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/pinklizzy_photo/A549B9FE-5634-442C-9FAA-3300B3EBCAB1-3839-000002EAA8EF7658_zps0a2c0f58.jpg

This is my mum's new house for their 6 hens, all built by hand by my step-dad. It even has proper wheels so it can be moved around the garden!

https://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/pinklizzy_photo/A549B9FE-5634-442C-9FAA-3300B3EBCAB1-3839-000002EAA8EF7658_zps0a2c0f58.jpg

This is my mum's new house for their 6 hens, all built by hand by my step-dad. It even has proper wheels so it can be moved around the garden!

I love that! Brilliant!

Haha that really made me chuckle (sorry to your son though!) maybe because my name is Harriet.

I want chickens now! Xx

Ducks are so cute but they ruin your garden! Chickens keep the weeds down too :haha: We used to have 4 (one for each child) Henrietta, Harriet, Hazel and.....Princess :rofl:

We had a Cockrel too, called Trevor :wacko: he was evil. We were prisoners in our home he would did this little Cockrel dance, Cockadoodle doo, then attack you, he was really vicious, we had to get rid of him.

I do think Chickens make great pets, especially for children x

my chicken was called henrietta as well, is it a common name for chickens or somthing? :) we also had henrilouise.
Cant remember what I called the other 4, they where rescued battry hens.

Thanks for the tips loraloo! I would like some some day! We've just cleared some land near our garage and OH would like some pigs!!

Pinklizzy that coop is amazing!.... If I do get chickens I think I might have to get your step-dad to make one for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->