How do you decide on surname??

purpleshark

Reaction score
We're not married so how do you decide on who's surname?? I feel if I don't say his its like I'm saying I don't know if we'll last and if we do choose his then I'll have a different surname to each of my children (DD has her fathers-wish she didn't) I was married to her father so it was automatic that she'd have his. But I never loved him so knew we'd not last. I love my partner. I'm just stuck really. He says he'd be happy with either way. Help! Lol.

You could double barrel without the hyphen, I had both parents surname but I only used my fathers surname but for official stuff I had both, it's the way the Spanish/ Latin Americans pass on their surnames.

I'm not married to my partner either but baby is having his name xx

Im not married either, but my lo will def have my OH's last name. I know that one day, we will get married so my name will be the same eventually.

I'd probably double barrel it, and then perhaps in the future you could double barrel your DD's so that she has your last name too?

Double barrelled, but personally I think babies should take there fathers last name if the parents are together But aren't married :) x

You could double barrel without the hyphen, I had both parents surname but I only used my fathers surname but for official stuff I had both, it's the way the Spanish/ Latin Americans pass on their surnames.

That is what we are planning on doing :thumbup:! I figure the baby is half mine and half his... even if we did ever split up, that part would never change! I think it is only fair to have both (and since mine is extreamly hard to spell and pronounce, I will use his name for LO on a daily basis).
Did you find to have any trouble having both names, but only "going by" one?

I think if that's how you feel then you should double barrell. My daughter has my husbands surname (we weren't married when she was born). I will be honest in saying that I did hate that me and her had different surnames but I knew we would one day be married. I do personally think children should have their dads surname if the parents are together but it is of course don't to individual choice. x

we want to put our names together but our parents would kill us! he is Burkinshaw and im Graves

we want baby to be Burkingraves haha

When I had my son, his dad and I weren't married either so I insisted on double barrelling our surnames to Norton-Griffiths (think I always knew it wouldn't last!) That way my son still has my surname too, whixh I like now his dad and I aren't together.

This baby (with my current OH) will also have our surnames double barrelled (Norton-Ward), that way baby will have name connection to me and her half brother!

My OH and I are engaged, so when we eventually get married I will take both names too, so I will still have that connection of my surname with my son.

I thought that babies had to have the mans surname or as previous have mentioned, dbl barrell?!?

My OH and I aren't married but are engaged. When we found out we were pregnant we decided to hold off on the wedding until our son is old enough to be part of it. We hadn't set a date at the time but were planning for after I finished college next year, so we'll just see how things go.

Anyway, since we know we'll be together and we'll all have the same last name eventually, I have no problem writing OH's surname on our son's birth certificate. It doesn't bother me that my son and I will have different last names for a while, as I'll be taking the name after we get married next year. :)

I thought that babies had to have the mans surname or as previous have mentioned, dbl barrell?!?

No my friends son has her surname not his Dad's and they are together and have been for 12 years x

What happens when Jasmine Thompson-Smith grows up and marries Michael Robinson-Davidson? Does she become Jasmine Thompson-Smith-Robinson-Davidon?

Seriously?! Pick one!

DH and I are married so obviously will be going with his (which is mine now). If we weren't and didn't have a wedding planned I'd go with mine.

Steph82 I've had no problems growing up, before I got married I rarely used both surnames but it was nice to have both.

Myself and both my children have 2 surnames, when I got married I dropped my mothers name and added my husbands name

For example

Before; Maria Smith (fathers) Jones (Mothers)

After; Maria Willis (husbands) Smith (fathers)

Spanish naming customs are unique, we don't encounter any problems when we marry someone else with a double barrelled name as we both drop the maternal names and pass the paternal name to our children, so they only ever have 2 surnames, it also helps that we don't use hyphens.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_naming_customs#section_1

What happens when Jasmine Thompson-Smith grows up and marries Michael Robinson-Davidson? Does she become Jasmine Thompson-Smith-Robinson-Davidon?

Seriously?! Pick one!

That would be her choice to make!!

I see nothing wrong with baby having both names, esp if parents aren't married!! That way baby has connection (via name) to both parents - in my mind its easier to explain to child than why they have a different name to mum or dad!!

We've always sound LO will have OHs surname just so everyone feels involved and it'll be a same for me (wanting to wait till I have a bit of time after bubs is born so I can get back into shape a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->