how do you feel about using boy names for girls?

rubysoho120

Soon to be mama of 2
Reaction score
My daughter's name is Rory which is a boy name. Pregnant with a girl and we want to named her another boy name. Took me a while to get hubby on bored with the new name but its too perfect to me and he loves it now too. I always invisioned both my kids with these names. Even before we got married.

Opinions?

it depends on the name really

things like Alan, Jason or Matthew would be odd - Alex, Baylie, Jamie not as much

although I like a boys name as a middle name for a daughter (and its a very boy name lol)

I agree - some names just lend themselves to be pretty gender neutral, while others seem a bit more odd. I'd always considered 'Rory' more of a neutral name, and growing up I assumed 'Ashley' was a girls' name only because the only one I knew was a girl. Imagine how surprised I was to read Gone with the Wind and learn that it could be a boy name too! :D

I agree that it depends on the name. Rory, I didn't even know it was a boy name until it was a character on Doctor Who.

What's the name you're considering for DD2?

im the opposite as my family are Irish so Rory is a common family name for boys lol

never heard of it on a girl until I watched gilmore girls lol

Completely depends on the name, I love Rory for a lil girl! & If the name in question is Perry, I LOVE IT :)

I usually like super fem, overly girly names for girls - like princess type names. Def my preference!! But I do kind of like the new trend of giving baby girl's boy names, depending on the name of course. Names like Emerson, Ryan, Kennedy, Skylar, Parker, Bailey, Jaidyn, etc. Can all be used for either gender, and are nice. Some names I don't like though - like Elliot, Mitchell, Michael (all of which I've seen on girls).

There is many boys names I like for girls names. BUT I did get very annoyed with people when I was pregnant with my last son. I really liked Emerson but so many people said they thought of it as a girls name more, which of course it isn't BUT it is used for a girls name more these days.

I quite like Rory for a girl actually. I think it depends on the name really. I don't think you could call a girl Alan or Colin but certain names definitely.

I personally love Noah for a girl, also really like Drew and Dylan too.

I LOVE boy names for girls!!!

Logan
Spencer
Brett
Elliot

I also really like Rory better on a girl, although also must say I'd go with a name like Aurora and nickname Rory.

I've also known girls named Kyle, Mykal (Michael), Sebastian!....I think it's definitely a new trend and personally I LOVE the idea!!

I also think Scott would make a fabulous middle name for a girl!!

i LOVE it! i wanted blake for our girl but our last name starts with J so we opted out of BJ initials for our daughter ;)

Definitely depends on the name I think. I love Rory for a girl!

I'd be wary of doing it - just from personal experience. My name is Linzi and I had a boy called Lindsay in my class at school. Wasn't such a big deal at primary school but high school was torture. Lindsay was handsome, popular, sporty, you know the type. I was the exact opposite, a bit of a geek. I got such a hard time from the other kids at school, and Im sure Lindsay did too, all because we had "matching names" x

Think it works really well in some cases. OH and I are considering Noah for a girl :)

I love boys names for girls but it depends on the name some are too masculine iykwim

Boys names I like for girls are:

Perrie
Stevie
Chay
Blake

I also want the name Blair for a girl (if we have another one) sounds quite boyish to me but I love it!

i am the very proud mumma of a daughter called Roberta,who is nearly always called Bobbie,we always get complimented on her name,shes my lil Bobster
:dust:

I LOVE this idea!

Our girl name is Peyton. But I love Ryan, Kyle and Kendall! Keep it going Momma's!

I think some names work really well. I like Taylor (very nearly my second daughters name), Ryleigh, Bailey, Sonnie.

Ps: love Blake and Bobbie as pp's have said. :)

I am another who likes traditional boy names for girls, perhaps because I was named for my grandfather! Although I like a more feminine middle name or the ability to do a feminine nickname. I went through a phase where I didn't care for my name (and traditional male spelling) because there wasn't a feminine nick to use instead and family drama prevented me from using my middle name.

We aren't using it but I love love love the name Brandon for a girl. It is easily shortened to Brandi/Brandy if she prefers it and I think it sounds lovely with a lot of traditional feminine names (my fave is Brandon Nicole).

Pers, I'm Brandi Nicole, lol.

I love Ryan for a girl, but I already have a brother named Ryan. It really all depends on the name...there are some names that are just exclusively male and exclusively female, but I love a lot of boys names on girls. If I have a girl, one of the middle names on one of the names I've chosen, is Blaire.

To echo other posters, I think it depends on the name.

I always thought Rory to be more of a girl's name, due to Gilmore Girls. I've never met a male Rory. (I've also never met a Rory, period.)

I like names like Brett, Zac, Ryan, Emerson, etc for girls, even though they're boy names. Names like Michael, Jeremy or David wouldn't work for a girl so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->