How do you manage to wait till 6 months before 'weaning'?

And as I said in a pp I was told by a family member to put rice cereal in my baby's bottle as he is a really bad sleeper, it's only because of the ladies on here, that I found out it was dangerous! That's why other people opinions and experience is so important IMO

Of course we can all have different opinions. I also don't think a 4 week old needs solids and it's potentially very dangerous.

But my point was that there's a difference between giving your opinion and being a jerk. Telling someone they lack common sense because they genuinely didn't know about current guidelines is not only unkind, it's no way to actually get your point accross.

^^ This exactly.

And as I said in a pp I was told by a family member to put rice cereal in my baby's bottle as he is a really bad sleeper, it's only because of the ladies on here, that I found out it was dangerous! That's why other people opinions and experience is so important IMO

Sure, but I bet you would have been less inclined to listen had they claimed you were lacking in common sense.

Sure, but I bet you would have been less inclined to listen had they claimed you were lacking in common sense.

Not if they backed it up with well educated research as did the pp on here.

Not if they backed it up with well educated research as did the pp on here.

Really? Okay, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I personally don't take advice that's given in a demeaning manner. Guess I'm too sensitive.

Not about being sensitive at all, but I would guess that if a group of people told you that something you where doing could in danger your newborn baby, you would listen? Or maybe I'm too quick to listen to advice, Hv, research and doctors. As I said in a pp this thread has got a bit heated and maybe posts where a bit direct but I think a lot of people where shocked by the OP original post and the fact that even when faced with people telling and proving what she was doing could harm her baby, still tried to justify and felt almost like trying to convince us that it was ok as 'it was only a rusk'.

I do think you're right that a lot of the vitrol came due to shock.

I do listen to advice, but unfortunately there's a lot of misinformation out there - I was told by a doctor to give my 4 week old baby rice to help her reflux. She puked move than I have ever seen after that incident because her digestive system clearly wasn't ready.

I just felt a little bad for the OP, I guess. I certainly love the girls on here and have changed my opinions about many things, so perhaps she will too!

Its not about what you say, but the way you say it. There is never a reason or excuse for insults.

I hope so, and I for one would not want to come across as being harsh or bullying in any way I just think that what she said was very shocking that it was bound to spark reactions. Personally all I could picture in my mind was my baby at that age trying to eat a rusk. I do need to bear in mind that I did have a bad experience with him choking on one when he was 6 months let alone 4 weeks so maybe that's why this particular thread has touched me. I felt that the OP was very dismissive of all the advice given even when backed with evidence and almost seemed proud that her baby loved it, maybe this was a defence mechanism as let's face it no one likes being told they could be wrong!! But like you said no one can force someone to listen and maybe we went the wrong way about it, but I hope OP understands why people felt so strongly.

Its not about what you say, but the way you say it. There is never a reason or excuse for insults.

I don't believe I have insulted the OP? Please correct me if I'm wrong as I have probably got a bit too involved in this thread!

I did say that I thought it should be common sense to not give a newborn baby food - and I will apologise to OP if that has offended her, however I stand by my opinion that I think most people would not think that it is ok to give a 4 week old baby food. I mean the HV tell us enough ( in our area) , the OP has been on BNB for a while, I mean it even says the age restrictions on the packet of rusks?!

However if my comment has upset her then of course I would apologise as that is not my intention, I think maybe the shock got the better of me!

Ok so i guess a lot of people on here dont agree with giving rusks at over a month old but, shoot me now, giving rusks around this age is the norm in my area. Being a new mum to emily meant i listened to my mum and everyone elses advice (although didnt always take it) and my mum was adamant that emily needed a wee quarter rusk because she was always crying for her bottle, and it didnt satisfy her so, eventually giving in, we tried emily with a bit of rusk at about 5-6 weeks old and she loved it! At first i wasnt sure we should keep giving it to her, but the girl loved it! I can see where everyone is coming from and pointing the finger,but i think its very unnecessary to call me uneducated about my children. I was a first time mum just like anyone else and i was listening to the advice of my mother (as you do!) i had rusks, my brother had rusks, my aunts and uncles and cousins had the rusks and so did just about every other baby in our area, and quite early on! I suppose i need to keep in mind that BnB is worldwide and that what goes on in my area doesnt usually happen elsewhere and can cause offence :dohh: and im not looking for a debate as some have said also, i never posted in baby club until i had my son, and i can see now that baby club takes offence to a lot:-/ i'll keep in mind not to post anything so 'ludicrous' next time, i was genuinely wondering how babies can make it to 6 months old without food because where i live, 6 months old are usually on three or more meals a day!

what area are you from exactly? Im from Glasgow and can safely say most women would be horrified at giving your 4wk old rusks, they are practically all sugar with no calorie content. How on earth would THAT fill a baby?
Offensive or not having a baby is about meeting their needs first, not trying to cut corners to make your life easier!

My son went to 6mths on milk no issues, we did BLW, no issues.
I on the other hand was weaned from 8 weeks, whisky on the gums, rusks in the bottle, that was the 80s. A long time ago now, things have really moved on. I have bowel issues, as does my OH and best friend who were also weaned early, there is a link between early weaning and problems later. But I suppose thatll be your kids problem by then, not yours :dohh:

I don't believe I have insulted the OP? Please correct me if I'm wrong as I have probably got a bit too involved in this thread!

I did say that I thought it should be common sense to not give a newborn baby food - and I will apologise to OP if that has offended her, however I stand by my opinion that I think most people would not think that it is ok to give a 4 week old baby food. I mean the HV tell us enough ( in our area) , the OP has been on BNB for a while, I mean it even says the age restrictions on the packet of rusks?!

However if my comment has upset her then of course I would apologise as that is not my intention, I think maybe the shock got the better of me!

For clarity that statement was not directed at any individual.

For clarity that statement was not directed at any individual.

Thank you for clarifying.

I'm from fife and its also know that you should wait till 6 months however you can start solids as early as 4 months onwards but only if baby is showing signs he/she is ready but its not adviced, a month is too young. My lo is 5 months and has started solids like I said earlyer he was ready.

And I have to say sorry as harsh as it may sound, people not caring about fellow people's children is one of the reasons why we have such a problem with obesity and why so much tax payers money is going on trying to help people over come weight issues - maybe if we all listened a bit closer to the guidelines and cared a bit more, we wouldn't have so many people dying or seriously ill from weight associated illnesses.

Just reading thro some posts and I find this a bit ott! So because I choose to start my 5 month old on solids I'm encouraging my lo to be....wait for it........Obese!!! Lol I'm a tax payer too so is that where my bloody money is going!!!:dohh: i can safely say its not down to feeding your baby early that make children obese its food choices and education!! My family eat well, home made meals and fresh food at that, so by educating my lo by feeding him the right food will make the difference not me giving my lo baby rice at 5 months!!!

Of course i now know that giving a month old baby rusks has its risks - but as a new mother 18 months ago i had no idea! i was listening to my mothers advice as she gave it to her children including me, and the rest of the family had it so early on so of course i took her advice on as many new mothers do! I thought my mum knew best as if she did it with all us, then it must be ok :shrug:

I doubt the area she's from has anything to do with it for those that are picking up on that! I also don't think it has anything to do with how old or educated you are. As new, exhausted mums we all look to different areas for advice. At my babyclub recently a lady in her late 30s joined. She's very well educated & lives in a lovely area, she told me how her baby was feeding every hour at 5 weeks. She was exhausted & her mum told her to put babyrice in the bottle. I doubt her first thought was to double check the safety of her own mothers advice with the girls on bnb before going ahead with it! She just did it.

As for asking hv about it, I haven't seen mine since Lo was a week old so I can completely see how new mums don't ask their hvs for advice

I think all new parents should be given literature during pregnancy about what the current guidelines are and more importantly why since so many people are quick to dismiss them (not just talking about weaning here, car seat safety is another one i can think of. I know countless people who ff their LO's too soon) in order to try and prevent things like this happening.

I doubt the area she's from has anything to do with it for those that are picking up on that! I also don't think it has anything to do with how old or educated you are. As new, exhausted mums we all look to different areas for advice. At my babyclub recently a lady in her late 30s joined. She's very well educated & lives in a lovely area, she told me how her baby was feeding every hour at 5 weeks. She was exhausted & her mum told her to put babyrice in the bottle. I doubt her first thought was to double check the safety of her own mothers advice with the girls on bnb before going ahead with it! She just did it.

As for asking hv about it, I haven't seen mine since Lo was a week old so I can completely see how new mums don't ask their hvs for advice

A little off topic but do they not do a weaning visit at around 4 months where you are? X

FFS now we get all the bowel issues due to early weaning rants!! Every bit of 'irritable bowel' is obviously due to early weaning!!!

And to clarify I would never say giving a 4 week old anything other than milk is in any way a good idea. It's clearly very misguided. And I don't think weaning before 6 months is a good idea either. I accept the guidelines and agree with them. But bloody hell there are so many reasons for bowel issues and I just can't stand the presumptions that everything is due to early weaning! It's just like pointing a finger at every mum who decided to wean early and say ooooh look what will happen to your child!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->