How do you use up eggs?

P

Pandora11

I have 10 eggs that go out of day today and i don't want to throw them away. I'm going to use one to bind some meatloaf but i'm stuck with what to do with the rest. Anyone have any ideas?

Neither of use like eggs to eat, i only use them in cooking/baking. I bought a pack of 30 but when they were delivery they only had 10 days date on them :(

Are there any easy recipes that take a lot of eggs? other than meringue? x

I think Pound Cake uses a lot of eggs, I'm sure I saw a recipe that used 7 but I can't find it at the minute.

Eggs are usually good a fair bit after their out of date.

Just do the water test, if it sinks its fine.

Cakes/pancakes and freeze them...I would eat most oft eh cakes straight away tho lol

They'll last ages before they go out of date probably another week. x

Yeah they will be fine for a week maybe more. I'd bake and freeze probably if I really wanted them used.

They make great hair and face masks. Check Pinterest for ideas? I often use a beaten egg warmed up on my hair and then wrap it in cling film.

This cake recipe is fab and uses 6 eggs :)

Beat 50g (12oz) Margarine or Butter.

350g (12oz) Caster Sugar

1 tablespoon (15ml) of Vanilla Extract.

6 Eggs

200g (7oz) Plain Flour

200g (7oz) Self Raising Flour

Thanks everyone :)

I don't face putting egg on my face but cakes are good. I heard about the sinking test but when i googled it, i read it wasn't always a reliable test because age and air and other sciencey things i do not understand. Are eggs only bad to eat if they're off? Because they would smell when i cracked them?

I would make waffles/pancakes but don't have enough milk....cake it is then!

Thanks xx

Eggs definitely last longer than the date. I have had eggs go past a week after the date and they were fine (I did the water test).

I usually make cupcakes to get rid of mine. I can make several batches and that'll keep OH happy for a day or two :p

Gone off eggs smell like sulphur (farts)! I never look at the dates and can guarantee I have used eggs 3 or more weeks out of date - never been ill.

you will still have a few weeks before they go off really, as soon as you crack one you would know!

Eggs don't really go bad. They'll be fine to bake with for awhile.

I would use them to make a frittata/spanish tortilla along with any veg you have lying around. I made one last week with mushrooms, onions, green beans, potatoes and peppers - it was lovely. I need to make savoury because I'm really rubbish at baking!

I use them for about a month after the expiry date, some people say they would probably be fine after a year! They will smell bad when you crack them if they've actually gone off.

I am so funny about my food, overly paranoid, but eggs I will happily eat after their date, if they smell ok they are ok, haven't bothered with the water test but we go through eggs quite quickly so it's not often they're a week older than their date which I know is fine. We go through eggs because hubby loves his fried egg breakfast muffins, I make Yorkshire puddings with our roast every weekend and one of our favourite teas is carbonara. Plus I love baking, a sneaky pancake and I eat them for lunch. So yeah we like our eggs lol.

And yeah to answer your question eggs as with dairy foods will smell if not good to eat, if it looks and smells fine, it is fine. We drink milk beyond its date as well and yoghurt if it smells ok, well any dairy really. So don't waste them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->